Equipment Fabrication.

lancep

Hi everybody, Lance Peterson from BruteStrength.com here. Some of you may be aware of our strongman products, but we want to add a good selection of grip tools too. Could you guys post some stuff you would be interested in seeing us make.

:rock You could build a stand for a wist roller that way it takes pressure of the shoulders I would buy it what do you think

Make it like 5'ft high that would be a good hight :mosher

Hi everybody, Lance Peterson from BruteStrength.com here.  Some of you may be aware of our strongman products, but we want to add a good selection of grip tools too.  Could you guys post some stuff you would be interested in seeing us make.

Adjustable block weights. They would work like your steel stones, but look like half a solid dumbell. What is being done is that people are cutting them off solid dumbells.

PDA at Fractionalplates.com makes one as an example.

Below are measurements of some weights of solid blobs to give you an idea.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.php?showtopic=2616

30 lb. blob

3-1/4" at top sloping out to 4-3/8"

35 lb. blob

3-9/16" at top sloping out to 5"

40 lb. blob

3-3/4" at top sloping out to 5-1/4"

45 lb. blob

3-13/16" at top sloping out to 5-1/2"

50 lb. blob

3-7/8" at top sloping out to 5-1/2"

If one wants to lie them on their side to lift them, as Wade stated he does, the diameters are as follows:

30 lb.- 6-3/8"

35 lb.- 6-1/2"

40 lb.- 6-13/16"

45 lb.- 6-15/16"

50 lb.- 7-7/16"

Or, I guess, you could just make solid blobs.

Another item that might sell is a simple grip machine with higher capacity along the lines of:

http://www.wwfitness.com/gripstrength.html

or

http://newyorkbarbell.com/9165.html

The problem with the above is that they don't hold enough weight. What is needed

is one that could take 45lb. plates.

Cool both items would be do'able. kyle102887, would the stand be a stand alone item or need to come with the wrist roller. The blobs would not be too hard at all. I will get cracking on both items. But I am not sure I could look as cool as the guy in the NY barbell picture :rock

You could make gripenator repicas pretty easily...after all they aren't patented so any threatened legal action concerning patent infringement would be totally unfounded.

Not being negative......but how about just coming up with something new?Seriously.A new twist.we are mostly growing tired of all the retreads and copy catting in the grip industry.

Some new type of gripper or something?

You could make gripenator repicas pretty easily...after all they aren't patented so any threatened legal action concerning patent infringement would be totally unfounded.

You would absolutely need good fabrication skills to replicate the Gripanator!

:dry

Lance - read in another forum you were going to introduce a line of anvils for strongman training. Perhaps they could also be sold as grip items (deadlifting anvils by the horn, pinching them by the flat top) depending on the weight. This would be a fairly unique piece of equipment since reasonably priced anvils are pretty hard to find (i know i've tried and so have some other board members). The closest item prodced by another grip/strength/fitness company is ironminds "little big horn" which is simply an anvil-like horn tied to a loading pin.

In terms of the wrist roller i'd sell the stand seperate. As many people already have a wrist roller or have made one and would be turned off by the item if it was a package deal. Yet unless you have a power rack you have to basically use the WR freehanging which tires out most peoples delts before their wrists.

How about indian clubs? http://www.clubbell.tv/cborder.html

There seems to be a following among the general fitness crowd, and among gripsters. I would like to purchase one but notice that a single 15lber runs $110 :blink . Other grip companies are making loadable club/hammer type equipment but no one is makeing a solid one (maybe for a reason though :) )

Another idea is to make a redisign of a spring gripper like the ISG. With tough knurled steel, maybe smaller, with as close to a CoC like feel at the close. This would be a very challenging project and the gripper business doesn't exactly yield big profits.

I like Monte Cristo2's Idea about the grip machine for more added wieght.

Adjustable torsion spring grippers. Maybe something along the lines of Tom Black's design for those of us that are mechanically challenged and can't build our own or perhaps something entirely new. Either way it should be an adjustable gripper not a grip machine mimicking grippers. Good Luck.

How about an adjustable thick handled dumbbell? All of the equipment manufacturers out there making thick handled dumbbells, have several sizes (usually 2, 2 1/2, & 3).

If you want a pair of each it runs up quickly to several hundred $$.

Why not have a 2" solid handle with one welded and one removable (set screws threading into a positive stop groove) plate stop, then have nesting sleeves that can slide on over each other in 1/4 or 3/16 (depending on wall thickness) increments up to a total of 3 or 3 1/2 inches. As long as the tolerances were pretty tight you would probably not notice the difference between a sleeved 3" DB and a solid 3". The cost would be much less for a pair and the variability would be a huge selling point.

Edit:

The indian club thing would also be really cool, forget the fancy rubber coating as long as the edges are taken off, I dont think the rubber is a big protector of anything.

Edited by GordonV

I'll vote for the Indian clubs as well. I'd love to have some, but just can't justify spending that much $$.

I agree Gordon, rubber sucks - it would get in the way of the feel. You really can't even see what the clubbells look like on this site. Tom Black has reveiwed an said they are of good quality but I don't have that kind of money to spend on a club. There's a company in the UK that makes nice looking cast ones, and a little cheaper (still $80 if i remember for 15lber) but the shipping would kill.

An adjustable torsion gripper would be a popular product just not an easy one to make.

How about taking a page from the adjustable pinch block book for the blob? Picture an adjustable pinchblock with the outside plates profiled like the 50# blob.

Using solid plates and/or spacers one could vary the weight and the width. With round spacers, face lifting would also be possible. You could also make one of the solid plates with a ring on it to hook it to a loading pin.

The hollow blobs seem like a pain. You can't really toss them b/c like a dead-blow hammer the weight inside moves independent of the outer shell, and I really don't like the idea of messing with lead/steel shot, sand or any of the other fillers.

I don't own a fillable blob and I can only move a real one with my foot, so take my criticism for what it is worth.

I'd like to see a "feat specific" line. Devices tailored to performing traditional feats of strength. For example, people do sledge work now to get ready for nail bending, so perhaps you could design some sort of adjustable nail or even sell calibrated bars like David for those of us here in the States that don't want to pay the shipping or wait forever.(No disrespect to Mr. Horne) Maybe some sort of adjustable horseshoe. It would the size and shape of a traditional horseshoe with heavy duty springs in the middle and when you can work up to "X" number of springs or perhaps the "black" spring you would be ready for a real horseshoe. Maybe something for tearing too. The "Jewel" is the only device on the market that I know of and IM's Twist Yo Wrist ad says something about helping with card tearing. I'm sure both devices are great but with only two other products out there you wouldn't have much competition. I have no idea how you would design these things I'm just spouting out ideas.

There is great equipment out there for training and for accomplishing specific feats.

There's only so much more you can make. (Although, I think the adjustable thick handles is a great idea)

There is all sorts of grip machines to suit you tastes. Tons of grippers, including custom ones.

You wan't to pinch plates? Go get some or get an adjustable pinch block.

Thick bar? Make 'em or buy 'em. Your choice.

Bending: There is tons of info on this from using harder steel, to making homemade nails.

The Blob? If you can't get one you can get the loadable. Yes, the shot will probably move around when you toss it. Remember, the loadable Blob is a training tool for lifting the Blob. If you want do a block weight work out, then go get some. Don't use a loadable Blob.

ETC.......

You have all you need. Now just light the fire.

-HH

Lance,

How about an improvement on the NYB Hand Grip Unit? I don't think this thing holds enough weight - the machine only holds 150 pounds... I have been able to slide on an addtional 25 pounds on top of that (but that's about it). :(

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.html

The grip machine sold at the www.fitness.com has a capacity of 300 lbs, rather easily in fact.

Does that machine allow the use of 45lb Olympic plates? It doesn't look wide enough to

me.

The Blob? If you can't get one you can get the loadable. Yes, the shot will probably move around when you toss it. Remember, the loadable Blob is a training tool for lifting the Blob. If you want do a block weight work out, then go get some. Don't use a loadable Blob.

HH,

I agree 100% that the loadable blob is a training tool for lifting the blob and not for use as a block weight. I was thinking along the "2 birds with 1 stone" route. An adjustable blob in the pinchblock solid spacers route would satisfy the "blob tool" need AND the block weight need.

Right now we are all purchasing db's hex york whatever and cutting them up. I have a 20, 25, 30, 35 at home with plans to buy 40, 45, & 50 in the near future.

Total purchased weight: 490 lbs. @.50 lb. (the aprox going rate) $245, and I still don't have "the blob".

If an affordable adjustable blob simulator that can also be used for tossing were available I think it would be quite an attractive product. The trainee could independently vary the width and the weight using spacers or spacer plates.

This SEEMS to satisfy a need but perhaps I am missing something.

Monte: You can use 45's on the gripper at www.fitness.com. You pick whether you want it sent up for olympic or exercise plates.

I have the exercise plate model, which is a solid machine.

There is great equipment out there for training and for accomplishing specific feats.

There's only so much more you can make. (Although, I think the adjustable thick handles is a great idea)

There is all sorts of grip machines to suit you tastes. Tons of grippers, including custom ones.

You wan't to pinch plates? Go get some or get an adjustable pinch block.

Thick bar? Make 'em or buy 'em. Your choice.

Bending: There is tons of info on this from using harder steel, to making homemade nails.

ETC.......

You have all you need. Now just light the fire.

-HH

Perhaps you're right some accounts, but the point of this thread was giving BruteStrength some ideas for equipment we would like to them see make.