Rekx Coc Training Log

Rekx

I have decided to post my traing log to benefit those who may be traing to crush the number #2 COC and for suggestions from the vets. of the board.

Background: I am 6'5, approx 260.

I have fairly large hands. They are just at 8". My palms are large, but my fingers are reletivly short.

I have had the #1 COC for about a year, but I haven't been formally traing with it until this week.

I just recently purchased the trainer and the #2, and the IM bag of nails.

I can grind the #1 for several reps, and I am about 5 mm away from closing the #2.

I am able to bend the IM white nail easily, and the green with some effort.

I think the #2 I have is particularly tuff, but oh-well.

I also workout with a 1 and 1.5 pood kettlebell approx. 3-5 times a week.

Last night I went to the hardware store and bought an 8 pound sledge hammer, buket and sand, and two pony clamps (one small and one big).

I will post my lunch break gripper workouts, and in the future I will post my evening grip workout the following day.

My ultimate goal is to

1) get to a competitive KB level.

2) crush the #3 COC.

3) bend the IM blue nail.

thanks for reading!

1-26-04

12:00 lunch break workout.

warmup

#trainer: 1x5 touch and go (T&G)

#T: 1x5 grind

workout

#1: 1x5 grind

rest 2 min.

#2: 1x5 best attempts

rest 2 min.

#2: 1x2 negative and hold 10 seconds

rest 3 min.

#1: 1x3 grind

rest 5 min.

#2: 1x2 best attempts

#2: 1x1 negative and hold 10 seconds

rest 2 min.

cooldown

#T: 2x7 T&G

Notes:

Tonight I will play with my new harware toys after my kettlebell workout.

Rekx, keep it up. You will find that posting your workouts helps when you'd otherwise be distracted by "life". I don't do anywhere near the volume/frequency as others here, but am trying to work towards it, and the log keeps me more accountable and it is fun to look back at both mine and other's logs.

You should get some block weights when you get a chance. They really seem to help.

I like the 6 lb shots also and think they will help a lot, but it is too early to tell.

Had a great KB workout last night and followed it up with some grip work. Unfortunately today my hand were two sore to even touch my trainer COC. All I did was place a couple of sheets of paper in my hand and crush them into a ball.

I did some research on the board and I'm going to put together the liniment potion posted and do some contrast dipping either tonight or tomorrow. I really want to get my hands calloused up and tough.

Here's the recipe I found:

HAND LINIMENT

Combine 4 tsp. powdered Myrrh, 2tsp. powdered Goldenseal, 2 tsp Echinacea root powder, 4 tsp. Cayenne pepper, in one quart of alcohol. Mix together and let stand 7-10 days. Shake well every day. After 7-10 days strain and bottle. You may let the liniment set for 6-8 weeks if you have the time.

kettlebell:

20 under leg passes

30 sec. rest

5 Windmill 1 pood

30 sec. rest

5 MP 1 pood

30 sec. rest

3 MP 1.5 pood

40 sec. rest

15 swings 1.5 pood

40 sec. rest

15 swings 1.5 pood

40 sec. rest

30 swings 1 pood

2 min. rest

10 Snatch (l&r) 1.5 pood

40 sec. rest

5 Snatch 1.5 pood

40 sec. rest

5 Snatch 1.5 pood

1.5 min. rest

30 Swings 1 pood

40 sec. rest

15 Swings 1 pood

Total Time: 22 min 35 sec.

Grip:

5 sledge twists

5 sledge over head

5 sledge rear lever

3 good thunb sqeezes with big and small pony clamps.

Man...I have discovered the really great part about grip training. The sledgehammer is awsome! my forearms and wrists felt so pumped and strong, and in a completely different way than working out with grippers. I love it. This weekend I'm going to get some dumbells to make blogs.

The more I learn here, the more I realize I know nothing about grip training. Thanks for all the info fellas!

Things started out great...

Warmup

20 Under leg passes 1pd

5 Windmill 1pd

5 MP 1pd

3 MP 1.5 pd

Workout/Start Time

30 sec rest b/w exercises

15 DARC Swings 1 pd

5 Snatches 1pd

10 Swings 1.5 pd

3 Snatches 1.5 pd

1.5 min rest

20 DARC Swings 1pd

10 Snatches 1 pd

15 Swings 1.5 pd

5 Snatches 1.5 pd

1.5 min. rest

5 Snatches 1.5 pd

20 Swings 1 pd

1.5 min rest

15 Swings 1.5 pd

5 Snatches 1 pd

1.5 min rest

30 Swings 1 pd

20 Swings 1 pd

15 Swings 1 pd

Total time: 29.5 min

Workout was awsome. Then I did some sledgehammer work to work on grip. Sledge twists, tosses, rear lever. All was good until I got cocky and started making up my own movements. I took the sledghammer in my right hand and started swinging it around really fast, and then did the same in the left. Well, I screwed up something in my right shoulder. I ended up icing it for about an hour and a half. I went to bed thinking that I might have really done something bad...it hurt pretty good, but it didn't really swell at all. When I woke up this morning it wasn't that bad, so I think I'll be healed up by Monday or so. Just need to be careful.

Lesson learned: NEVER, NEVER make up my own exercises.

I did contrast bathing on my hands for the first time last night also. It felt really good. I have been applying rubbing alcohol to my hands sores a couple of times a day but that doesn't really seem to do anything. But my hands are pretty close to healed from Monday's workout, so I ithink I will hit the COC's either today or tomorrow.

Well, my last full COC and nailbending workout was last Monday. I took some time off because I think I was overtraining was on the verge of injury. Also, I dug some pretty deep sores into my fingers. They hurt so bad I couldn't even close my Trainer.

I have workout consistently with the KB's, and at the end of the workouts I have been doing sledghammer exercises to strengthen the wrist.

I also have bee doing constrast bathing after my workouts and applying Burt's Bees Hand Salve almost twice a day.

So I picked up the grippers and some nails today and went at it.

Right hand feels great: indestructible. Left hand is still very week. Really really hurts when I close the #1 and attempt the #2. Seems to hurt the most in between the thumb and the palm.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, but I think that I am going to let the left hand rest for another week or two. I'll still work with the KBs, sledgehammer, and even bend nails, but I won't work it with the grippers. This really bothers me since I was proud of the fact that my grip strength in both hands was almost equal, and I wanted to train to keep it that way.

On the positive side, I noticed good improvement with the right hand on the #2. Just like others on the board...I am so damn close! Maybe 3 or 4mm. So close I can almost hear the metal grind.

Here's my grip workout today:

Warmup: stress ball and hold hands under hot water.

#T: 1x5 touch and go

#1: 1x5 Grind

rest 2 min

#1: 1x5 t/g

rest 1

#2: 1x5 best attempts

rest 1

#1: 1x5 t/g

rest 10 min

Warmup:ball and hot water

IM white nail: bent

rest 2 min

IMwhite; bent

rest 3

IM Green; bent

rest 1

#T: 1x5

rest 2

#2: 2 best attempt right hand/ 1 left (big pain in left hand)

rest 2

#T: 1x10 slowly

I went for more of a laid back grinding workout with some good grip work at the end.

KB

20 Under leg passes 1 pood

15 Under leg passes 1.5 pood

5 Windmill 1 pood

5 Windmill 1.5 pood

3 MP 1.5 pood

5 Snatches 1.5 pood

rest 2

7 Sumo Squats 1.5 pood

5 Snatches 1.5 pood

rest 2

3 Bottom Up Presses 1 pood

rest 2

25,20,15,10 Swings 1.5 pood

Grip

#T: 5 grinding

#1: 5 grinding

#2: 3 best attempts

IM white nail: bent 3

Sledgehammer

5 twists

2 ladder tosses

5 rear lift

5 touch nose

#T: 7 touch and go

10 min. of contrast bathing on hands and wrists.