Alternating Grip Work With Regular Workout

anson

today i decided to work in my gripper/ pony clamp work with my regular workout. i'd do a set of overhead squats then hit the gripper and alternated like this for the whole workout. i'm not sure how efficient this is tough, it felt like i wasn't able to give the grippers my all. but it was a nice change of pace, and i got all my exercise done in one session. any thoughts on this method of training?

I will often work a feat in with my regular routine, for example a blob feat, or my 1RM on thick bar, or something, but it is never a one to one ratio, especially not during my main body exercises.

For example, last night during my squat routine, I grabbed the three after every few sets of squat singles to show this dude I could close it with more consistency since I'd seen him last. Also, on a high volume bending day, like with back, I might wrap a nail after one set, then bend it after a couple sets later. I've done the same with card tearing.

If I do too much grip during my regular routine, it doesn't distract me, but rather I end up dropping my entire regular routine to do grip. My body routine is too important to me to take my concentration off of it for too long.

Plus, lately I have been using my body routine to get a good workup in my hands. My hands are getting so dry (runs in the family) that I have not been soaking as much pre-grip routine. Therefore, I need to work a lot of blood in them, and I need my entire body routine to get the trick done right.

Plain and simple, I don't work on too much grip during my full body workout.

-Jedd-

Does anyone expereince hand/finger/wrist pain after workouts. I did a lot of bending the other day. for 3 days, pain was all around my hand. I tried sleeping with mittens to keep them warm, but did not help any.

JasonL

Anson,

I've done my grip work between my barbell work for almost a whole year now and am quite sold on this way of training but then my barbell weights are pretty low so they tend not to tax my grip all that much :laugh

Jon@han