Most Over Rated And Under Rated

Cunny

People are different and there bodies respond too different things. It's hard to say when you take this into consideration.

I'd say up untill recently block weights were pretty under rated.

As much as I love 'em, I'd say grippers tend to be the most over rated. This is probably due to the fact that they are so affordable, popular, and just so satisfying when you see those handles shut. :D

-HH

Yeah I was thinking grippers to they don't seem to contribute to anything else too much but they are a great bench mark.

People are different and there bodies respond too different things. It's hard to say when you take this into consideration.

I understand but I'm just after opinions,it may even throw up some exercises that the majority find over rated but which others have progressed with tremendously.

I think stress balls are overrated. Whenever I ask people if they train their grip they always say, "Yeah, I have a stress ball that I squeeze from time to time!"

I think that dynos are pretty underrated. We're always looking for consistency in our grip equipment and not much else is more consistent than a specially calibrated and tuned piece of medical equipment.

I can't think of anything that is really overrated. Grippers may belong on that list, but I like 'em. Most folks get started with the grippers and then their interest expands into other aspects of grip

I think for the general population, wrist curls are the most overrated. If you walk around a gym and ask people what they do for grip, I bet pretty much all of them will say "wrist curls."

Most underated....levering IMO.

I think tearing folded newspaper to simulate card tearing is overrated. Folded newspaper may simulate a deck of cards in shape and size but it's not plastic coated making it far less slippery and substantially weaker and most importantly the folds leave the newspaper connected so it can't slip around like a deck, when pressure is applied. It is a cheap way to train but its never had much carry-over for me. That's just my experience though.

I believe plate lifts with your fingers as described in the Gripmaster's Manual is one of the most underrated exercices. A super exercise for the last two fingers and it will also make your weight plate curls sky rocket.

Under = Block weights. Their total-hand-strength effect is unmatched. JB quote again, "Block weights = hand strength".

Over = Grippers. But very fun and addicting.

i agree that grippers are probably overrated, and i think that 1 of the most underrated exercises for grip are standing reverse barbell curls---- when properly executed, they work every single muscle in the forearm.

ron

Under = Block weights. Their total-hand-strength effect is unmatched. JB quote again, "Block weights = hand strength".

Yup. Blobs and blocks get due respect but they are still underrated. Especially the overhand tosses.

BC.

Overrated: I would have to go with grippers. Yes-they are fun. Yes I own a bunch of them. But for developing all around grip strength-they really arent all that great.

Underrated: Softball pinch. This movement works the thumbs, fingers, and even the wrists as you must fght to hold the hand extended when elevating the weight.

Also underrated is the double hammer squueze. This movement really adds to the total hand strength when you move the hammers to the front of the body and overhead! A crushing exercise that incorperates the thumb!

Rick Walker :rock

Over: Weight Crawl (The current Grip Tip on the Ironmind site! :tongue)

Under: Grippers, hehe, grippers are really more versatile than most would think, you train through the whole motion range, you can do nosets, negatives, inverted, training with gloves on etc etc, they are also more fun and addicting than anything else, for many strongman events I think grippers helps a lot, for example anything involving grabbing a rope, if you consider how most people got into grip training, its through grippers, I know that really wasnt the point but still... :cool

Overrated: Based on my reports...The gripanator...especially at that price. There are other plate loaded options which are cheaper, just as good(if not better) and not falsely advertised as being patented and/or trademarked. Ouch, watch your chin! :yikes

Underrated: I agree with Ron Mazza, the barbell reverse curl is one of the most underrated exercises of all time. If you are strong in this movement, you are strong everywhere.

Underrated: Thick handled barbells and dumbells were already mentioned, so I want to go with hammer curls with a barbell. This lift makes your wrist combat bad leverage, developes crushing grip, and there is no better exercise for your brachioradialis, the biggest muscle of the lower arm.

Overrated: Stress balls, I think squeezing your hand by itself may yeild better results.

Some stuff caught my eye in the underated listings: softball pinch, double hammer squeeze, and V-bar. May I get a discription of these exercises? I do not have MoHS, I got GMM instead, please be patient.

• 4 weeks later...
Under: Plate curls and plate wrist -curls, V-bar, extensors, levering.

You mention V-bar here which in european contests has such a high standing that it will be one of the five in the championships.

But when I did a search in this grip forum there is almost nothing about it at all.

Nothing about the pros and cons, why it is so good (or bad) and what parts of the hand that gets better training with this lift compared to those most talked about at the forum.

So, amaury, Horne, Wylie, Sivertsson or other good people at the lift.

Which are your main reasons for liking it?

Nils