Wide(er) grippers

kylerh2048

I just wanted to throw a question out there. Are there grippers that are wider than the "normal range"? 

1 hour ago, TrenGrip said:

Yes

To expound a bit on this, there are some that are typically wider than others (e.g. GHP, very hard to find now/expensive). Also, @Cannon carries a category of grippers within his Standard Gripper called NIckel that can be on the wider side; however, these are only available in a specific RGC range, and only a subset of those are particularly wide. 

If you aren't worried about it being a torsion spring gripper, the adjustable Robert Baraban grippers are wide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

and only a subset of those are particularly wide. 

I would say all Nickels are pretty wide, although you're right that Nickel only covers one specific range. The most narrow ones have been 78 mm which is pretty dang wide. As a comparison, IronMind #3.5s are particularly difficult lately due to being slightly wider than normal. Those are running around 75 mm. Otherwise CoCs tend to run 70-75 mm. For a while, there were 3s touching high 70s pretty consistently, but not lately.  

I will admit that just a few millimeters can make a big difference, and agree that GHP has a rep for being "wider", but even those hang around 75 mm as well. They are just consistently 75ish where CoC might be consistently just under that. 

But generally, Nickel is disgusting wide.  

First generation Tin through Platinum are pretty wide, more like GHP wide not Nickel wide.  

On 31/03/2024 at 22:10, Cannon said:

Je dirais que tous les Nickels sont assez larges, même si vous avez raison de dire que Nickel ne couvre qu'une gamme spécifique. Les plus étroits mesuraient 78 mm, ce qui est assez large. À titre de comparaison, les IronMind #3.5 sont particulièrement difficiles ces derniers temps car ils sont légèrement plus larges que la normale. Ceux-ci tournent autour de 75 mm. Sinon, les CoC ont tendance à mesurer 70 à 75 mm. Pendant un certain temps, il y avait des 3 atteignant les années 70 de manière assez constante, mais pas récemment.  

J'admets que quelques millimètres seulement peuvent faire une grande différence, et je conviens que GHP a la réputation d'être "plus large", mais même ceux-ci tournent également autour de 75 mm. Ils sont juste systématiquement à 75 alors que le CoC pourrait être systématiquement juste en dessous. 

Mais en général, Nickel est dégoûtant.  

L'étain de première génération jusqu'au platine est assez large, plutôt comme une largeur GHP et non une largeur Nickel.  

yes aberrant width of the first generation for very modest figures in addition for quality grippers and which took away the attraction but currently the reformulation is an excellent one

• Thanks 1

Is there any grippers that are "wider" than normal? I'm looking for wider grippers. Thanks in advance for all your help!

2 hours ago, kylerh2048 said:

Is there any grippers that are "wider" than normal? I'm looking for wider grippers. Thanks in advance for all your help!

What do you consider normal? If you use chinese grippers pretty much anything else will be wider, GHP, CoC, or certain standards like nickel will be the widest, you can also file handles to increase total spread

So I wanted to start this off by saying. I watch your stuff on YouTube already but I guess I should've prefaced this by saying the only grippers I own are COC and CPW. So I was wondering if there anything wider than that. 

I just read these replies. I never got notified that I had replies. Thank you for the replies. So I started with the Trainer COC. I now have the trainer all the way to the #3. Also choker #3 and CPW gold, copper, platinum and iron. I guess the width curiosity came into play as I see the #3 I have non-choker is pretty damn wide. So I was just curious for training purposes something a little less difficult but possibly wider. I can close a 2.5 COC. 

For constant wide maybe look at an adjustable Vulcan gripper. Unless you are at a rating of around 150 plus already, then the Nickle standard would be the other option..

10 minutes ago, kylerh2048 said:

I just read these replies. I never got notified that I had replies. Thank you for the replies. So I started with the Trainer COC. I now have the trainer all the way to the #3. Also choker #3 and CPW gold, copper, platinum and iron. I guess the width curiosity came into play as I see the #3 I have non-choker is pretty damn wide. So I was just curious for training purposes something a little less difficult but possibly wider. I can close a 2.5 COC. 

Wide and easy are usually opposing attributes, but I have a 1st gen 96 Standard Gold with a 78mm spread.

I think your best bet is a wide Standard Gold or Platinum, or GHP Levels 4, 5, and 6 - though the latter are much harder to find, and will fetch a higher price. Arookstook Barbell has a GHP 5 potentially still available here.

3 hours ago, kylerh2048 said:

So I wanted to start this off by saying. I watch your stuff on YouTube already but I guess I should've prefaced this by saying the only grippers I own are COC and CPW. So I was wondering if there anything wider than that. 

CPW is has a pretty "standard" spread huehuehue, but CoC spreads even though relatively generally wide, still vary a but, from 70-80 mm that I'm aware of

If you want an extra wide gripper, look out for heavier than normal pre-rated options, as generally wider spread means heavier, but you can also get an extra heavier one by having the handles mounted high so the spread much different

Extra wide is very hard which makes them very good for getting strong, you probably won't get as many reps as same rgc with a narrower spread, but you'll get stronger in the process, not everything is just about how many reps you can do.

GHP is really the best option for this, but if you can't find them, get a heavy 2, a heavy 2.5, a heavy 3 etc. You could also ask around in the buying thread specifically looking for wider than normal grippers as some people don't like them and would probably get rid of them.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:10 PM, Cannon said:

I would say all Nickels are pretty wide, although you're right that Nickel only covers one specific range. The most narrow ones have been 78 mm which is pretty dang wide. As a comparison, IronMind #3.5s are particularly difficult lately due to being slightly wider than normal. Those are running around 75 mm. Otherwise CoCs tend to run 70-75 mm. For a while, there were 3s touching high 70s pretty consistently, but not lately.  

I will admit that just a few millimeters can make a big difference, and agree that GHP has a rep for being "wider", but even those hang around 75 mm as well. They are just consistently 75ish where CoC might be consistently just under that. 

First generation Tin through Platinum are pretty wide, more like GHP wide not Nickel wide.  

I have thought once, would it be possible to list the width of the spread next to the rgc of the rated grippers in stock?

• Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 9:10 PM, Cannon said:

Ever since I got my Standard Gold (unrated) to compare to,  I've been convinced that my CoC#1 (unrated) must be on the heavy side. Sounds like 74mm would probably be heavier than average. Or next time I could just pay for a rating.

I appreciate all the replies, I literally watch all of you on YouTube or whatever for guidance. This is great. I guess it makes sense. Lighter but wider would be contradictory to achieving higher numbers. I started at the COC Trainer (not knowing anything about grip) and I can now close MY COC#2.5 but i can't close my buddies COC#2. So I've been loving the standard grippers as well. 

1 hour ago, kylerh2048 said:

Lighter but wider would be contradictory to achieving higher numbers.

I disagree with this. Even if a gripper takes less overall mechanical poundage to make the handles touch, a wider gripper puts out a higher percent of that overall poundage at any given set position than a narrower gripper. Set to a GHP block a heavy grips is only going to be putting out like 25% it's total resistance whereas a GHP would already be putting out like 50%. Facing increased levels of resistance that much earlier in the range make it that much harder to continue to accelerate the handle.

Narrower grippers are like going 0-100 on a drag race, wider grippers are like doing 0-100 uphill

I have several lighter wider grippers that are much harder to close than heavier grippers with narrower spreads.

Ratings are just a value for a gripper in its closed state and doesn't account for anything required to get to that point

Being strong doesn't always correlate with the highest rgc you can do on paper. Because you can just close the heaviest Chinese gripper you can close and say you're strong, but then come not even anywhere close to that same rgc value on a GHP or wide coc that has 40-50% more spread

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This was actually my thought process on the matter but again I'm new so I figured maybe I had it backwards. That closing a heavier narrow gripper would translate to the wider closings of grippers. I ordered the CPW "Vulcan" equivalent. I'm into this and I'm just looking to gain tools and knowledge. I figured that wider grippers takes more to close than a narrower gripper as the energy expenditure is higher because the range of motion is more. 

Edited by kylerh2048

9 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Ratings are just a value for a gripper in its closed state and doesn't account for anything required to get to that point

Being strong doesn't always correlate with the highest rgc you can do on paper. Because you can just close the heaviest Chinese gripper you can close and say you're strong, but then come not even anywhere close to that same rgc value on a GHP or wide coc that has 40-50% more spread

I disagree with this stuff. 

1) Spread is one of the main factors that affects a rating. “Easy” examples of any level are almost always narrow. “Hard” examples are almost always wide. Relative to their peers. Possibly you mean that current ratings don’t reveal the spread despite being largely derivative of the spread. Except that within levels, they absolutely do. A 137 #3 will be more narrow. A 155 #3 will be more wide. Almost guaranteed. The difference in spread is how they got to those numbers when all the other production elements were the same. 

2) Your preference for wide grippers is showing. Not everyone likes that, or is training for a cert, or even cares about certs. I really dislike wide grippers. If you can close a 175 HG350, you are strong. Maybe you cannot close a 175 GHP 8 yet, but you’re still strong and you’re close. The feat is not diminished. A 175 HG350 is a great close. 

You can also get a valuable resistance workout from any gripper, even narrow ones like a 137 #3 or a HG300 with a 2” spread. HGs were my bread and butter. Copper is probably my favorite Standard. I have a 110 HG300 that I love and use all the time. Nickel is disgusting. 

3) “It doesn’t feel like the rating” is a spread issue consistently misbranded as a “Chinese” issue. It also has nothing to do with narrow exclusively, but rather all grippers an individual perceives as “not average”, whatever that means.

People dork out for a sub-140 #3 but that will be a narrow IronMind gripper. The #3.5s we rated in the high 150s I could identify in the package by how narrow they were. All narrow grippers share this trait. And, all wide grippers have the same trait in the opposite direction. People might say, “it feels harder than the rating.” I can reliably find hard #3s still in the package by screening for spread. 

This issue really comes down to hand size, how you train, and what you like. Someone with a larger hand might be far less affected by spread and more affected by a filed gripper. For my hand size and training style, filed grippers don’t really phase me. I have a weak set so wide grippers are really problematic. Someone with a strong set could be less phased by wide grippers. 

Something ratings really don’t capture well is knurling smoothness but it’s still the same set of considerations. Some like smooth knurling as a preference, but most do not. Smooth handles will feel harder than the rating in your hand. But—like with spread—hand size and personal strengths can minimize the effect of smooth handles. If you have a thick thumb pad and a strong set then maybe smooth handles don’t matter as much.  

There are all kinds of people and all kinds of grippers. All have a place. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, kylerh2048 said:

This was actually my thought process on the matter but again I'm new so I figured maybe I had it backwards. That closing a heavier narrow gripper would translate to the wider closings of grippers. I ordered the CPW "Vulcan" equivalent. I'm into this and I'm just looking to gain tools and knowledge. I figured that wider grippers takes more to close than a narrower gripper as the energy expenditure is higher because the range of motion is more. 

Seems to me though that the narrower gripper isn't going to create as much strength in the wider part of your range of motion (which is what I lack). I'm trying to think through this whole process and I'm brainstorming ideas. Something I was thinking today, that maybe there's more to a wide set than just fatigue. Your body creates the most force at the midpoint of a contraction. Let's say you set a gripper at 25mm. There's going to be some contraction in your muscles and tendons, but not as much as if you started at 50mm and squeezed it to 25. Perhaps from that 50mm set your hand is generating maximum force when the handles are 15mm apart, and from the 25mm set it might be maximum force when they are 5mm apart. 

34 minutes ago, kurtwpg said:

Seems to me though that the narrower gripper isn't going to create as much strength in the wider part of your range of motion (which is what I lack). I'm trying to think through this whole process and I'm brainstorming ideas. Something I was thinking today, that maybe there's more to a wide set than just fatigue. Your body creates the most force at the midpoint of a contraction. Let's say you set a gripper at 25mm. There's going to be some contraction in your muscles and tendons, but not as much as if you started at 50mm and squeezed it to 25. Perhaps from that 50mm set your hand is generating maximum force when the handles are 15mm apart, and from the 25mm set it might be maximum force when they are 5mm apart. 

You're correct, people that exlusively train on heavy grips or whatever will buy 1 coc thinking it's a reasonable jump based on RGC then realize they are underprepared for using coc. This is why I tell everyone to just start with a coc trainer no matter how strong you are. Crush strength in the open handed position is important too if you expect to reach the closed handed position.

It's also not that I "like" wide grippers, or that I "like" filed grippers, they are difficult and make my life harder, but I also do a lot of things that I don't "like" to progress towards goals that I have, because I know that a lot of things that are otherwise inconvenient can be more effective.

Would I "like" to to do 87,000 reps on a heavy grips 100 while sitting in a lazy boy and watching The Predator? Yeah probably, that sounds fun. But I would also probably suck at grippers, if I just did what I liked, and not be nearing the 3.5 cert. I understand not everyone that uses grippers is trying to do certs and has whatever other reason for doing them.

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1