Caring for hands ?

SOCK BOY

Sorry if this is in the wrong place & has prob been covered before (I couldn’t find any posts tho). 

How does everyone look after their hands? I imagine keeping on top of calluses & such is important. Does anyone use a special moisturiser to keep the condition or something to harden their hands? 
New to the sport & trying to learn from the people in the know. 
Cheers 

• Like 2

In general, you want thick skin but not dry skin. Super dry calluses tear easily (but this is more of a concern with climbing and regular gym workouts). 

I use a honeywax-vaseline mix after steelbending workouts, but pure shea butter or probably any hand cream would work I guess. If you use grippers with very sharp knurling a lot, or if pinch blocks make your thumb webbing thin, it will help with regeneration as well. 

• Like 2

I do nothing.. I will say, due to some weird winter dry skin dermatitis I've developed  all over my torso I started using lotion. I've noticed not much difference in performance other than I think my skin feels a little more "elastic" now which aids in gripping things.

Just train smart, and take your time building callus. If something hurts enough avoid it or make adjustments so it doesn't. Liquid tape is great for certain cuts

• Like 1

In addition to moisturizing, I file my calluses to keep them from ripping off.  Just file them smooth, not completely away, unless you have a painful crack in one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 10:52 PM, SOCK BOY said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place & has prob been covered before (I couldn’t find any posts tho). 

How does everyone look after their hands? I imagine keeping on top of calluses & such is important. Does anyone use a special moisturiser to keep the condition or something to harden their hands? 
New to the sport & trying to learn from the people in the know. 
Cheers 

I had this same questions recently, answered by Dubyagrip, so I’ve been filing them and decided to use liquid lanolin. I’ll give it some time to really see how well or not lanolin is working and report back. So far has been good

• Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 8:56 PM, CruxGripman said:

I had this same questions recently, answered by Dubyagrip, so I’ve been filing them and decided to use liquid lanolin. I’ll give it some time to really see how well or not lanolin is working and report back. So far has been good

Let us know for sure. My shave soap contains lanolin and it makes my face and head feel incredible. I'm sure it will help.. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle for myself.

Just using lotion has made my hands more pliable and stretch better on my grip implements...