Ironmind COC 3 "Cert" not fully closed?

mcalpine1986

What does everyone make of this "Cert" video? 

He is about 3mm off from fully closed, how can Ironmind seriously think this is ok to pass? 

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

I agree, that gripper did not close! Not to mention the shoddy camera work, bad camera angle, and gripper leaving frame multiple times.

Sound like his spouse even says "not closed" on the video

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

I agree, that gripper did not close! Not to mention the shoddy camera work, bad camera angle, and gripper leaving frame multiple times.

Sound like his spouse even says "not closed" on the video

Agreed, it's ridiculous this passed. I didn't understand the language but it did sound like what she said was negative like he didn't close it.

I don't know what Ironmind are thinking(or drinking more like) passing this. This makes a mockery of all the people who have trained Hard to fully legit cert close it. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4

I don't get it, it's very weird that this passed.

The description reads "At 0:06:20 of the video, the gripper is closed."  but it's clearly not closed. With the , and . keys you can go frame by frame, and there is no frame where the handles touched.

• Like 5

This makes me think back to @insane.warrior attempting the #3 cert, and having it flagged red due to a fast card swipe (which passed freely however). I am extremely confused by how this attempt was passed, while other attempts that are much stronger/better could be denied. Same with @C8Myotome's attempt before his actual cert, which was also closed for sure but where the card was swiped too rapidly for it to be passed.

Maybe this was an error though, could happen too

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Alex K said:

This makes me think back to @insane.warrior attempting the #3 cert, and having it flagged red due to a fast card swipe (which passed freely however). I am extremely confused by how this attempt was passed, while other attempts that are much stronger/better could be denied. Same with @C8Myotome's attempt before his actual cert, which was also closed for sure but where the card was swiped too rapidly for it to be passed.

Maybe this was an error though, could happen too

Agreed, others have been denied certs yet actually fully closed the gripper. This is madness as it's very clear that it's not fully closed. 

"An error"

Maybe so but Imo its a major F*** up. Ironmind has also posted it to their official Facebook and Instagram page's with a write up on the guy so if it's an error they have made the error 3 times.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Aside from no visible closes, I thought it was peculiar its a pic of a guy eating a salad, who trains grippers every day, and does not weigh much...sounds familiar

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

My 3.5 was closer and filmed better.  

Ironmind just doesn't care anymore.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

I would have thought that after the Tiziano drama they would be MORE strict with their submissions.

• Like 8

no I looked carefully this man did not close this gripper the handles do not touch and therefore it cannot be certified otherwise it would be a falsification. his strength and his mastery is uncertain for the 3 and he must train to MASTER. the last 2 fingers are too weak and must work on this closure

15 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

My 3.5 was closer and filmed better.  

Ironmind just doesn't care anymore.

Your attempt is the first thing I thought of.  Why would this dude even send the video in? I'd be embarrassed. 

This is why I've no desire to ever cert on anything related to Ironmind.. "Certs" like this are a disgrace to the legit ones..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Mon 3.5 était plus proche et filmait mieux.  

Ironmind ne s'en soucie plus.

I saw your video and it is clear to me that your second test on the 3.5 coc is firm and legal and I thought you had it incontestably; I wonder what more he wants for this certification, you had the clear, precise MMS and everything

• Like 1

I'm ready for the cert then, if we don't even have to close the gripper! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, EmilBB said:

I'm ready for the cert then, if we don't even have to close the gripper! 🙃

Just making an attempt is good enough. Ironmind handing out participation certs 😂

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Just making an attempt is good enough. Ironmind handing out participation certs 😂

Do I even need to use a #3? Will my trainer suffice? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Do I even need to use a #3? Will my trainer suffice? 

Just grab a marker and draw a 3 at the bottom of the handles, should be good to go then.

Edited by EmilBB
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Why would this dude even send the video in?

This.

Back in 2022 I haven't sent back my second cert attempt video to IM because it was not looking good to me even though I was able to close a gripper for a moment.

Egolifting is indeed a curse.

• Like 6

We shouldnt be surprised, they allow home gym worldrecords. Why not almost closed gripper closes? 

@David_wigren Send in a attempt with your coc#4, I'm sure its ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insane.warrior said:

This.

Back in 2022 I haven't sent back my second cert attempt video to IM because it was not looking good to me even though I was able to close a gripper for a moment.

Egolifting is indeed a curse.

Do they allow 3rd attempts?

Wow, this sucks.  I'm flabbergasted.  I didn't even know you were allowed to try more than once in the cert video, but if you do try a second time, you should at least have to GET it the second time.  And then after failing twice (and the person with you and you apparently recognizing that you failed twice with all the "nay" sounds and the decision to try yet again), you'd think the third attempt would have to be good.  But none of them was even close.  Not even close.  I have "almost" closed grippers a lot closer than that and admitted it was not closed.  I would not even have sent this video in because it is CONCLUSIVE proof that I did NOT close the gripper on any of the three attempts shown.

I don't begrudge other folks their successes, but this simply was not a success, and passing it dilutes the achievement for those of us who legitimately attained it.  I mean, you can argue that my cert wasn't PERFECT, either because I didn't pass the card clearly enough or didn't overcrush to show dominance or got lucky with a light cert gripper or whatever -- but at least I legit closed the gripper and you can see the handles touch.  He just did not close it, not once, not nearly.

So, wtf?

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

What does everyone make of this "Cert" video?

Well, for the moment you don't need the quotes, since they allowed it.  But wow.  The video affirmatively proves that he missed all three times, and they passed it.  Just wrong.  I'm baffled.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Wow, this sucks.  I'm flabbergasted.  I didn't even know you were allowed to try more than once in the cert video, but if you do try a second time, you should at least have to GET it the second time.  And then after failing twice (and the person with you and you apparently recognizing that you failed twice with all the "nay" sounds and the decision to try yet again), you'd think the third attempt would have to be good.  But none of them was even close.  Not even close.  I have "almost" closed grippers a lot closer than that and admitted it was not closed.  I would not even have sent this video in because it is CONCLUSIVE proof that I did NOT close the gripper on any of the three attempts shown.

I don't begrudge other folks their successes, but this simply was not a success, and passing it dilutes the achievement for those of us who legitimately attained it.  I mean, you can argue that my cert wasn't PERFECT, either because I didn't pass the card clearly enough or didn't overcrush to show dominance or got lucky with a light cert gripper or whatever -- but at least I legit closed the gripper and you can see the handles touch.  He just did not close it, not once, not nearly.

So, wtf?

Agreed with what you are saying and It's all just very weird. It makes me wonder if Ironmind are doing this on purpose to get publicity, it's bad publicity yes but it still gets people talking about their grippers. 

I hope not but they have sure made some questionable decisions in recent years regarding their certs. 

Also the write up on the guy on the Ironmind FB and IG page's makes me wonder if any of it is true. He is a tennis player who weighs 70kg/154lbs and claims to do weighted pullups with an extra 90kg/198lbs strapped to him which would be 1.28x BW extra.

I'd love to see that as that is world class at weighted pullups, I just dont believe that claim unless it's a tiny ROM but I'd love to be proved wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Do they allow 3rd attempts?

I guess so, based on the number of attempts they gave to @Ivan Cuk with a #3 😁

Edited by insane.warrior

This is a great teaching moment, a lot of people make the mistake of equating a certificatiom with proof, but that is not and has never been true. A piece of paper doesn't actually mean anything

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I didn't even know you were allowed to try more than once in the cert video, but if you do try a second time, you should at least have to GET it the second time.  And then after failing twice (and the person with you and you apparently recognizing that you failed twice with all the "nay" sounds and the decision to try yet again), you'd think the third attempt would have to be good.

I don’t believe there is any attempt or time limit. The rules, at least, do not impose either. 

The "how to certify" guidelines do however include this warning: Set up your camera so that the gripper stays in view at all times —even if it leaves the frame for a moment; that would be an automatic No lift.

It seems harmless, but the gripper certainly left the frame at 8:45. But, also, the attempt that was noted as being closed comes earlier so it's hard to know exactly how this would be enforced. Such as, the gripper leaving the frame only invalidates the last attempt, which is possibly not the one they were passing?  

• Like 3