MashMonster Certification Grippers and their REAL ratings!

Alex K

After a long 20 years, the MashMonster certification has come to an end, and all of the 20 original Mash Monster grippers have been sold. This means, that the ratings of the purchased grippers have potentially been revealed to the individuals who now own those. A huge thanks goes out do Matt @Cannon and Bill @Bill Piche for making this amazing event happen!

David Shamey - Level 9 - Grip Board Mash Monster Profiles - The GripBoard

The purpose of this thread is to give the new owners of the MashMonsters a chance to take part in the grand reveal of the true ratings of the MM ladder, and potentially also share a picture or two of their grippers with the community 😇 

This does not mean that you have to share anything though, this is completely voluntary! If you wish to keep the ratings of your grippers a secret, you are free to do so!

Disclaimer: Please do not discuss purchase prices in this thread - all we care about here are the grippers themselves, not who paid what 😊

The current rating list of the 20 Mash Monster grippers will be updated according to submissions from community members:

• Level 1: ___, Back-Up #1: 151, Back-Up #2: ___
  • Level 2: ___, Back-Up #1: 162, Back-Up #2: ___
  • Level 3: ___, Back-Up #1: 174, Back-Up #2: ___
  • Level 4: ___, Back-Up: ___
  • Level 5: ___, Back-Up: ___
  • Level 6: ___, Back-Up: ___
  • Level 7: ___
  • Level 8: ___
  • Level 9: ___, Back-Up: ___
  • Level 10: ___

Thank you to everyone taking part in this grand reveal! 🤠

• Like 7

To start things out, I would love to share the grippers I acquired with you guys! I got Lot 11 which contained the back-ups for Levels 1,2 and 3!

Those are very beautiful and perfectly well-preserved vintage Tetting grippers with a very smooth and cool rating progression of 151-162-174 😊

photo1708520048(1).thumb.jpeg.bb146c8141e1845c2e59754a66386717.jpegphoto1708520048(2).thumb.jpeg.927e9b0e985efa61eba2e30406019b3f.jpegphoto1708520048.thumb.jpeg.076ec8fbb9a4210db0c501a55be2a32c.jpeg

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 15

If the real MM3 had been 174, I might have considered it a goal worth chasing!  I was told it was easily over 180.  Too bad no one ever lost it lol.  (jk)

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BY the way:  I know you got three backups, but I would not be surprised if the real (not backup) MM1 was also 151, and the real MM2 was also 162.  That's about how each felt to me when I did them.

• Like 4

I feel like that truly might happen :D The MM1 did feel 150ish, and the MM2 around 160. 

I was extremely happy to learn that the ratings of those back-ups were 151-162-174, which felt like the most perfect ladder-like progression for the first three levels!

• Like 6

@Cannon may be able to tell us whether this data is even available (i.e. if the purchasers decided to rate the grippers). 

• Like 2

Also true, but some people might want to keep this info private, so for now my plan is to wait for potential MM-gripper owners to share some details about their grippers if they like to :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

@Cannon may be able to tell us whether this data is even available (i.e. if the purchasers decided to rate the grippers). 

🤐

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

🤐

Yeah, that's why I went with may ha. I figured. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Alex K said:

some people might want to keep this info private

How unnecessarily mysterious.

Certainly the purchasers have no obligation to undertake the expense or responsibility of having their purchases rated; but to go to the trouble to have them rated and then deliberately refuse to tell anyone even that they did so, let alone what the ratings were, would seem to me to be gratuitously secretive for no conceivable reason.  Very much not in the typical spirit of the grip community. 

Am I missing something about why secrecy might be desired?

Again, not suggesting the purchasers don't have the right to rate or not rate, to tell or not tell.  Just wondering why someone would take pains to hide info from such a gregarious community for no apparent personal benefit.

Safety?  Paparazzi?  I mean, these grippers are esteemed in the grip community, but they are not the Hope Diamond ...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Certainly the purchasers have no obligation to undertake the expense or responsibility of having their purchases rated; but to go to the trouble to have them rated and then deliberately refuse to tell anyone even that they did so, let alone what the ratings were, would seem to me to be gratuitously secretive for no conceivable reason.  Very much not in the typical spirit of the grip community. 

I really doubt that anyone decided not to get their MM grippers rated because of the fee, but maybe someone wanted to keep the rating a mystery. I personally also don't feel like it's worth keeping the ratings it a secret, which is what this thread is for 😄  I just don't want to be too pushy with this, maybe some buyers see it differently

• Like 5

Mystery was fun while the cert was active but now that the grippers are in retirement I love seeing the ratings. I hope others who bought the lots choose to do the same.

Edited by HandsMcHanderson
  • Like 3

I guess it's cool knowing, but for the price of these grippers this is like me learning what size tires are on the batmobile

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Am I missing something about why secrecy might be desired?

Many people liked it. Nothing more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex K said:

I really doubt that anyone decided not to get their MM grippers rated because of the fee, but maybe someone wanted to keep the rating a mystery

Correct, there was no fee to rate if the buyer desired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex K said:

I really doubt that anyone decided not to get their MM grippers rated

No, of course not, but my point being that they don't owe it to anyone else to have them rated (even if free), but why do it and then hide the result?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex K said:

maybe some buyers see it differently

Yes, and I am just curious as to what that angle might be.  I am not saying all this to be pushy.  The new owners have no obligation to say a a word to anyone.  I am just genuinely wondering what the motivation would be to maintain secrecy, especially if someone is interested enough in grip to buy them in the first place.  Perhaps there is some explanation.  Maybe the person/people who bought them just haven't seen the thread and are going to share.  And maybe they aren't, which is fine as well.  I'm just interested in hearing whatever is going to be said, if anything.

• Like 3

It's very possible that someone that spent thousands of dollars on them also enjoys having control over also now owning some of the secrecy to it. I never expected that every buyer was just going to immediately post who bought what and all the ratings information. People made investments and essentially own that rating info now. Another reason I didn't bother buying any, I never liked that the ratings were secret with no good reason for it

• Like 5

Maybe the ratings will not be revealed because the buyer feels the mystery is worth keeping, some people who managed to close the grippers may also not want to know in the spirit of how the MM was run..

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Comme c’est inutilement mystérieux.

Certes, les acheteurs n'ont aucune obligation d'assumer les dépenses ou la responsabilité de faire évaluer leurs achats ; mais se donner la peine de les faire évaluer et ensuite refuser délibérément de dire à qui que ce soit qu'ils l'ont fait, sans parler des notes, me semblerait être un secret gratuit, sans aucune raison concevable. Ce n’est vraiment pas dans l’esprit typique de la communauté grip. 

Ai-je raté quelque chose sur la raison pour laquelle le secret pourrait être souhaité ?

Encore une fois, cela ne veut pas dire que les acheteurs n'ont pas le droit d'évaluer ou de ne pas évaluer, de le dire ou de ne pas le dire. Je me demande simplement pourquoi quelqu'un prendrait la peine de cacher des informations à une communauté aussi grégaire sans aucun avantage personnel apparent.

Sécurité? Des paparazzis ? Je veux dire, ces pinces sont estimées dans la communauté du grip, mais ce ne sont pas les Hope Diamond...

I too am curious to know, this secret has been kept for a long time and people are wondering about the note and maybe it could help in the future

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Il est très possible que quelqu'un qui a dépensé des milliers de dollars pour eux profite également du contrôle et en possède désormais une partie du secret. Je ne m'attendais pas à ce que chaque acheteur publie immédiatement qui a acheté quoi et toutes les informations sur les notes. Les gens ont fait des investissements et possèdent désormais essentiellement ces informations de notation. Une autre raison pour laquelle je n'ai pas pris la peine d'en acheter, je n'ai jamais aimé que les notes soient secrètes sans aucune bonne raison.

I never understood this secret and I was wondering why not publish them and give a range which is random for a certificate

Some more time has passed now, maybe some of the Mash Monsters have now reached their new homes by now 🤠

Just in case anyone wishes to join this thread and share something about your lots, you are very welcome to do so! 😊

• Like 6

I can tell you that we will never know.

No, I didn't end up with them.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I am also getting the feeling, that the other buyers are currently not really wishing to share the ratings, or potentially even their purchases in general

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I have no inside information at all (I assume from your comment that you have at least some inside info)--but based on the fact that only Alex has posted his ratings, I was already assuming that most of the grippers (and all of the original ones, which are of the most interest to us all) were bought by one person who has chosen not to publicize the ratings.