Metal Credit Card

Jared P

51EwY3pjUfL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I just purchased a pack of these blank anodized Aluminum credit cards that are 0.8mm thick, designed also for custom laser engraving. When they arrive and I test them out, I'll let you know how they work for CCS compared to the thin plastic Captains of Crush card. I'd guess another gripster has already tried something like these before.

I prefer using the CoC card in order to keep everything consistent and habitual for certification, but since I use my CoC card every week for reps, the edges get quickly worn down and now measure probably only 52mm, as opposed to 53.975mm. These aluminum cards measure 54mm, and won't change. I feel like it only makes sense to use a metal credit card as all of our other setting blocks are also metal. Guess we'll see.

@Cannon could potentially sell these with a custom engraving like his skeleton key, if they end up being useful.

Edit: Trying these 1mm thick Stainless Steel cards also.

2 Stainless Steel Wallet Card, Silver Ready To Stamp or Engrave Stamping Blanks, Custom Wholesale Blank Tag 8554-S image 2

And this 1.25mm thick Titanium card.

IMG20231116083758.jpg

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 12

The edges getting worn down on a normal CoC card is actually a great point - I should change mine for a harder material one as well.

• Like 1

0.8mm is very flimsy.
I think if you put this aluminium card between the handles with some presure it will bend. Not like a plastic card that springs back. 
Steel would've been a better choice.

I might be wrong, but that's my belief.

• Like 2

I once got the ratings tag of my gripper stuck between the handles as I was closing the gripper and it deformed with little pressure. I think an Al card will be too flimsy as @Slippery Pete said. I would opt for a stainless card and have it thicker as well.

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 4

I'm wondering how many reps you guys are doing that the plastic card loses width!  Wow.  Never occurred to me that was a thing!

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

Looks cool. Textbook form reps as required for certs should not cause any friction at all to the card though. Forcing the card to bend through the handles will of course add friction.

• Like 2

Off topic here but where do you guys even get the captain of crush credit card. Did I accidentally throw mine in the garbage or something I have bought plenty of grippers. 

• Like 2

I've not had issues using the PVC cards. I always set it a little wider than needed so there isn't any wear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Off topic here but where do you guys even get the captain of crush credit card. Did I accidentally throw mine in the garbage or something I have bought plenty of grippers. 

Here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should clarify - I've been using my Captains of Crush card periodically for over 2 years, which has slowly led to the corners being bent in slightly. It hardly makes much of a difference on the set width, and is mostly cosmetic, but still noticeable. I'm not bending the card at all, but rather inserting from the bottom of the handles. Just the pressure of even touching the flimsy plastic card to the aluminum handles over a long enough time, begins to wear down the corners, ever so slightly.

On average, I perform roughly 5-8 total CCS reps per workout.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jared P said:

I see so if I wanted to try to cert I would need to already have one? Or could they ship one with the cert gripper?

4 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I see so if I wanted to try to cert I would need to already have one? Or could they ship one with the cert gripper?

They ship one with the cert gripper

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@A.J. Valcarcel sent me a message that he made some out of walnut, and he would be sending me one as a gift.  I'll post photos here when it arrives.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Aside from being sent with cert grippers I'm not sure why I have so many, I think they may come with grippers if you order directly from Ironmind? I definitely have a handful of them

• Like 2

Just now, C8Myotome said:

Aside from being sent with cert grippers I'm not sure why I have so many, I think they may come with grippers if you order directly from Ironmind? I definitely have a handful of them

Thanks 

Makes sense why I have none then I have never ordered from iron mind. I was worried I accidentally garbaged them or something.

Just now, Nuttgens said:

Thanks 

Makes sense why I have none then I have never ordered from iron mind. I was worried I accidentally garbaged them or something.

I have so many I had cut some old ones into 30 mm cards, and use some as RGC shims

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

AI think they may come with grippers if you order directly from Ironmind? I definitely have a handful of them

They do, or atleast they did when I bought a set in like 2013. I'm guessing that hasn't changed. All of my grippers have been either from CPW or used since then though so if things changed I wouldn't know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

Going to try these stainless steel ones also, that are 1mm thick.

These are awesome, I ordered one, because shiny

• Like 1

I measured my CoC credit card and the used end measured 52.98mm, while the unused end measured 53.96mm. So the difference is marginal, about 1mm, but enough to be a slight inconsistency.

Another cool idea is to have the Captains of Crush logo laser engraved onto the card, kind of like this.

image.thumb.jpg.b2d4237f0c7dff03d44c75fc6dda994c.jpg

• Like 7

I have a 6mm thick aluminum one. I got it from the same place I usually get steel to bend (I had to define the dimensions of course, it's not like they have alu credit cards).

I got it to prevent unintentional "cheating" with CCS closes. I just don't do CCS so I forgot about it haha.  
Height and length are exactly the same as for a credit card, but I didn't smooth the edges that much (only a little bit to prevent cutting myself). 

edit: I just checked my emails, and it wasn't even 4$, so I don't regret getting it 😁 

acc.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

On 2/16/2024 at 12:08 AM, Jared P said:

51EwY3pjUfL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I just purchased a pack of these blank anodized aluminium credit cards that are 0.8mm thick, designed also for custom laser engraving. When they arrive and I test them out, I'll let you know how they work for CCS compared to the thin plastic Captains of Crush card. I'd guess another gripster has already tried something like these before.

I prefer using the CoC card in order to keep everything consistent and habitual for certification, but since I use my CoC card every week for reps, the edges get quickly worn down and now measure probably only 52mm, as opposed to 53.975mm. These aluminum cards measure 54mm, and won't change. I feel like it only makes sense to use a metal credit card as all of our other setting blocks are also metal. Guess we'll see.

@Cannon could potentially sell these with a custom engraving like his skeleton key, if they end up being useful.

Edit: Trying these 1mm thick stainless steel cards also.

2 Stainless Steel Wallet Card, Silver Ready To Stamp or Engrave Stamping Blanks, Custom Wholesale Blank Tag 8554-S image 2

Can you get these but made out of titanium? 

40 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Can you get these but made out of titanium? 

Found these and these (1.25mm thick, so I just bought one from here, because $7.50 and why not).

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 2

I like the titanium ones, ordered a few myself

I think unless @Cannon makes a stainless or titanium card with the Skeleton Key designs, I may go the pocket tool route.

I'm assuming, of course, that if it's strong enough to open a bottle of beer, it's strong enough for me to credit card set a gripper without bending.  🤔

Credit Card Tool.jpg

• Like 2