76 by 76 List

climber511

Starting at age 56, (April 20, 2005) I decided to make a list of goals to try to accomplish before I turn 60 years of age.  The name I choose was 60 by 60 but I ended up with a few extras and seem to add a few more all the time.  Right now, I have 66 things on the list but it might grow, who knows?  Some of these I have done in the past, some I have never even tried the event before.  Some I’m sure will be fairly easy, some are already done, and some will just seem like a good idea when I see someone do it the first time.  Some of these I remember as childhood milestones – like 50 pushups and the first time I touched the rim at basketball.  Hopefully I have set up a list of events that will result in a fairly well rounded older strength and endurance athlete if accomplished.  And if not, the attempt should certainly prove interesting and challenging – and keep me out of mischief for a while.  I will no doubt adjust some of these upwards when accomplished and others will just be checked off and forgotten.  Others might well be the impossible dream – but a man needs those as well.  I’ll have proof for some things but this is being done just for me so I know if I’ve really done it or not and that’s all that matters for this. 

I turn 76 this year – I’ve been at it since I was 11 years old.  I began my 60 by 60 list at age 56 – the idea was to complete 60 fitness – strength related item during the year I turned whatever age is coming up next.  It is now a 76 by 76 list.  I’m working on resetting the lifts to match my declining levels of strength and fitness.  It’s a bitter sweet affair now.  I have checked off a couple already – time will tell how it goes.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

Starting at age 56, (April 20, 2005) I decided to make a list of goals to try to accomplish before I turn 60 years of age.  The name I choose was 60 by 60 but I ended up with a few extras and seem to add a few more all the time.  Right now, I have 66 things on the list but it might grow, who knows?  Some of these I have done in the past, some I have never even tried the event before.  Some I’m sure will be fairly easy, some are already done, and some will just seem like a good idea when I see someone do it the first time.  Some of these I remember as childhood milestones – like 50 pushups and the first time I touched the rim at basketball.  Hopefully I have set up a list of events that will result in a fairly well rounded older strength and endurance athlete if accomplished.  And if not, the attempt should certainly prove interesting and challenging – and keep me out of mischief for a while.  I will no doubt adjust some of these upwards when accomplished and others will just be checked off and forgotten.  Others might well be the impossible dream – but a man needs those as well.  I’ll have proof for some things but this is being done just for me so I know if I’ve really done it or not and that’s all that matters for this. 

I turn 76 this year – I’ve been at it since I was 11 years old.  I began my 60 by 60 list at age 56 – the idea was to complete 60 fitness – strength related item during the year I turned whatever age is coming up next.  It is now a 76 by 76 list.  I’m working on resetting the lifts to match my declining levels of strength and fitness.  It’s a bitter sweet affair now.  I have checked off a couple already – time will tell how it goes.

Will you post your list?

you mentioned declining levels of strength and fitness, which is of course a normal part of aging no matter how much we don’t like it but what age range did you really notice the biggest drop? And did you noticed a couple steps downwards at different points? I suppose it wasn’t exactly linear with regards to the strength and the fitness aspect either? 

very commendable to be still at it closing in on 80!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Will you post your list?

you mentioned declining levels of strength and fitness, which is of course a normal part of aging no matter how much we don’t like it but what age range did you really notice the biggest drop? And did you noticed a couple steps downwards at different points? I suppose it wasn’t exactly linear with regards to the strength and the fitness aspect either? 

very commendable to be still at it closing in on 80!

Give me some time - I'll try to put together the original list and numbers and then this years to compare the changes.  I'll try to do a short write up on when I think the most change happened for me.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks - I have completed 30 items as of now - onwards and upwards etc.

• Like 5