The Founder of Cannon Powerworks, Matt Cannon, Gripsport Latino #26

pancho_grip_lift

16 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Wonderful episode, was great to put a face to Matt's online presence and get a deeper understanding of the history, thought process, and focus of what is now his family business.

Of course, my favorite parts were hearing about the future plans with the new version of the Mash Monster certification, and the possibility of the future Chromium gripper to fill that wide gulf between the CoC 4 and the GHP 10.

My question would have been: Is there a rough estimate on when the new MM cert might materialize - 1st half of 2024, 2nd half of 2024, or later than that? Same question with the Chromium gripper.

Great stuff, and thanks for the podcast @pancho_grip_lift@Cannon.

Thank you Jared, it was a pleasure for us to make it.

In the future I could announce the guests in advance so the audience can ask questions if they want to!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:50 AM, DoctorOfCrush said:

That would be great. Whenever I rep mine, it's a consistent conversation starter.  Just such an awesome design.  And it was cool to hear that this design was literally the first take from the designer (at least that was presented to Matt). Talk about a home run. 

On 1/28/2024 at 10:53 AM, Cannon said:

That's a t-shirt idea right there. Rep the brand, rep the grippers. :rock

On 1/28/2024 at 11:01 AM, Bill Piche said:

I could not figure out for the life of me where and even how to get back the gripboard t-shirt design. So, I took another shot at it after seeing how cool it was in person on you.  I FOUND the design logo image and sent it to @Cannon!!

I'll take one of everything...Cannon Powerworks Sugar Skull shirt; "rep the brand, rep the grippers" shirt; and another GripBoard shirt.

My special request is 24" x 24" banners of all these designs to hang in my home gym!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 6:24 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

My plan is to listen to this one this afternoon. Can't wait.

On 1/28/2024 at 10:28 AM, pancho_grip_lift said:

Excellent brother! Grab some snacks becouse it will be a 3hr listen, but I guarantee it will be worth it 🏋️

TOTALLY WORTH IT!  I'm only halfway through but it's been awesome.  So much to love...  Some examples:

(A) My daughter saw the grippers in the background and was impressed with your "collection" until she heard it was "inventory."  😄

(B) I also need to find her a purple gripper...so thanks for giving her that idea.  🙄

(C) I've used PowerPoint and Paint as my version of PhotoShop for literally decades now.  🤗

(D) The history and insights are both enlightening and entertaining.  🤩

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'll take one of everything...Cannon Powerworks Sugar Skull shirt; "rep the brand, rep the grippers" shirt; and another GripBoard shirt.

My special request is 24" x 24" banners of all these designs to hang in my home gym!

More grip T-shirts please! We are waiting 💥🙌🏻

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

TOTALLY WORTH IT!  I'm only halfway through but it's been awesome.  So much to love...  Some examples:

(A) My daughter saw the grippers in the background and was impressed with your "collection" until she heard it was "inventory."  😄

(B) I also need to find her a purple gripper...so thanks for giving her that idea.  🙄

(C) I've used PowerPoint and Paint as my version of PhotoShop for literally decades now.  🤗

I'm glad you liked it Douglas! It was a remarkable episode!

This friday I'll interview the first man of India to lift the dinnie stones so stay tuned 🙌🏻

IMG_20240129_153638_165.jpg

• Thanks 1

I haven’t finished yet but enjoying it so I love long form content like this.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

More grip T-shirts please! We are waiting 💥🙌🏻

I feel for @Cannon right now. We just keep making requests and adding things to his list. 

Things that come to mind that people are probably frequently asking about:

- Timeline on the Mash Monster cert
- Timeline on Unobtainium 
- Next batch of rated grippers (perpetual question!)
- Next re-stock of X, Y, Z
- Now banners, T-shirts, and more!
- Probably loads more ha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

Hello brother! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll keep making grip content so stay tuned, and don't forget to subscribe to my channel!

46 minutes ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

Holy crap I butchered that. It should have said “I haven’t finished yet but enjoying it so  far. I love long form content like this.”

17 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Hello brother! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll keep making grip content so stay tuned, and don't forget to subscribe to my channel!

Already subbed. Thanks for putting in the effort. It’s cool to get a more in depth understanding of other people in the grip community.

Edited by HandsMcHanderson
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to do T-shirts, don't go teespring. The print comes off after a few washes

20240201_131959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Watched the second half last night.  Still awesome!

One thing I want to call out specifically is @Cannon's constant commitment to the customer and the community.  I've seen it personally whether he's going out of his way to get steel grippers filed for me (a bear of a job...but turned out perfectly) or bundling my purchases and refunding me the shipping difference without being asked (which happens fairly frequently for me during big drops--I jump on my "definite" grippers and buy them immediately before they're snapped up and then mull over my "maybe" grippers for a bit and sometimes buy another gripper a few hours or a couple days later).

But the ultimate intersection of his business and this board is offering to ship internationally for items marked "U.S. only" in the Selling section of the Marketplace.  I mean...who else would do that but Matt?  Can't even imagine how helpful that must be to our members abroad.  Must open up many more options for them to (literally/figuratively) get their hands on grip implements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/28/2024 at 1:13 PM, deadgrip said:

IMG_3444.thumb.jpeg.8bfefab5a62d30691183a49142a6962b.jpeg

I like the COC tee with the small logo -- they don't sell that one on the IM website anymore; now it is a big logo that takes up the whole middle of the shirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dean_redzic said:

If you are going to do T-shirts, don't go teespring. The print comes off after a few washes

20240201_131959.jpg

How many washes until the logo vanished? I'll have to be careful with the ones I have, I don't want them to die 🥲

9 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

How many washes until the logo vanished? I'll have to be careful with the ones I have, I don't want them to die 🥲

Like 5 washes in a delicate front loader 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dean_redzic said:

Like 5 washes in a delicate front loader 

It took me reading this about 4 times to understand it as anything except a huge yellow Komatsu front loader. I was really confused. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

It took me reading this about 4 times to understand it as anything except a huge yellow Komatsu front loader. I was really confused. 

I am Australian, maybe it's specific to my region but you have top loader and front loader washing machines

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dean_redzic said:

I am Australian, maybe it's specific to my region but you have top loader and front loader washing machines

No, it’s here too. We HAVE a front loader! :blush

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jared P said:

those Komatsus are only delicate when driving into basements

I hear that was really only a problem with the d355a.

• Like 2

Have not yet listened to the whole interview, but am really enjoying it.

Talk about the “small world” department…that Dave Draper “bash” that Matt attended in Santa Cruz, California, where he first touched a gripper…

I was there!!! I went with my late brother, who was a hard core Musclehead, and he had attended a Draper Bash a few years earlier in Las Vegas. Brother John visited my mother that weekend, and asked me if I wanted to go with him (I only live 40 miles from Santa Cruz), so I did. Perhaps 100 people there.

It was in July, 2005.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Have not yet listened to the whole interview, but am really enjoying it.

Talk about the “small world” department…that Dave Draper “bash” that Matt attended in Santa Cruz, California, where he first touched a gripper…

I was there!!! I went with my late brother, who was a hard core Musclehead, and he had attended a Draper Bash a few years earlier in Las Vegas. Brother John visited my mother that weekend, and asked me if I wanted to go with him (I only live 40 miles from Santa Cruz), so I did. Perhaps 100 people there.

It was in July, 2005.

This is incredible! I have quite a few pictures of the event. One day at the gym, there was a pull up contest. Were you there for that? Did you attend the seminar that Bill Pearl gave? Also I have a lot of pictures from the BBQ. Oh yeah, we also went on a sailboat cruise with the Drapers. There were quite a few people on the boat. Did you guys do that? 

• Like 1

2005. Jeepers. It's actually my 22nd wedding anniversary with Kristy today. :wub:

image.png.4de03856f32a3222660e685c4531c507.png

• Like 7

SUPER COOL

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your wife.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

This is incredible! I have quite a few pictures of the event. One day at the gym, there was a pull up contest. Were you there for that? Did you attend the seminar that Bill Pearl gave? Also I have a lot of pictures from the BBQ. Oh yeah, we also went on a sailboat cruise with the Drapers. There were quite a few people on the boat. Did you guys do that? 

We got there about 30 plus minutes before the seminar, saw the seminar, and attended the BBQ. Besides Bill Pearl, Ed Corney showed up in the middle of Dave and Bill's talk. 

My brother purchased the DVD, and I imagine the two of you are in it, as both my brother and I were in it more than once. There were two camera people, Laree Draper one of them. 

Two years later, at an AOBS where Dave was inducted,  I hit it off with Laree, and we stayed in contact over the years. She was kind enough to post on their forum when my brother passed in 2021. 

About a month after that AOBS, Joe Weider was honored in the California State Capitol, and my brother was the only person with a camera (they made an exception for that event, and no one else had a camera). He had a great shot of Laree and Dave, Frank Zane and his wife, and Dick Tyler and his wife. It was on the Draper website, and is all over the internet. 

Yep, small world. 

• Like 2