The Founder of Cannon Powerworks, Matt Cannon, Gripsport Latino #26

pancho_grip_lift

Guys, another dream that came to reality, I hope you enjoy this video as much as we enjoyed this chat with @Cannon

Don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel and leave a comment in the YouTube video! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

The MM backups were created at the same time as the cert grippers were made by Warren.  Only a few people knew they even existed for literally the last 20 years. :)  As Matt alluded to.  If you think about it, losing a gripper blows up the certification and ruins "using the same gripper for comparison."  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My plan is to listen to this one this afternoon. Can't wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a gripper nerd, this was definitely my favorite interview you have done. It was perfect 👌

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bill Piche said:

Great interview! 

Thank you Bill, I'm glad you liked it 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

As a gripper nerd, this was definitely my favorite interview you have done. It was perfect 👌

Thank you Emil, it was super exciting to do this interview. Thanks for watching it and for supporting Gripsport Latino 🤜🏻💥🤛🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Piche said:

The MM backups were created at the same time as the cert grippers were made by Warren.  Only a few people knew they even existed for literally the last 20 years. :)  As Matt alluded to.  If you think about it, losing a gripper blows up the certification and ruins "using the same gripper for comparison."  

I was surprised when I knew it, and it's more surprising that they never got lost on the email. 

It's great to be able to listen a bit more of history about the mash monster grippers and the future of this lovely community 😁

• Like 1

This was incredible!  Thanks so much to @pancho_grip_lift and @Cannon for sitting down for this. Like others, this was the first one that I watched end-to-end, and as a fellow gripper nerd, it was just amazing. A few things:

- I would buy a CPW banner and another CPW skull shirt in a heartbeat.  I love my old one, but it's just that: old. And I wouldn't mind getting another color. I realize an N=1 does not a viable product make, but I wanted to make that known. 

- I had surmised a lot of how Matt felt about product design and necessity on how he runs CPW, but it was interesting hearing about the ins and outs of his reasoning through all of it. Trying to fill those gaps first and foremost and never trying to put something out that didn't really have a purpose or was simply superfluous.  No filler!  Plus, hearing all of the details that go into fitting those grippers into the appropriate range was fascinating. 

- The discussion around the hour mark about what amount to purely digital relationships hit home for me. Especially since I have always been too busy to consider going to comps (maybe one day!), I feels weird to think that some these folks I interact with with fair regularity via email/message wouldn't know me from Adam in real life. It'd be awesome to actually meet and hang out and geek out about grip with some many people on here. 

- I always thought the Spectrum grippers were cool, but I didn't have the chance to buy them back when they were around.  I get that it is hard to keep/sale them given the difficulties you outlined, but personally a little show through wouldn't bother me.  The limitations could be highlighted on the product page with knurling coloring being an 'as-is' feature.  But I think that selling a new product that Matt considers 'blemished' directly to customer would probably bother him considering he pension for superb customer service. 

- On this topic, that purple 280N is SICK! I'm sure will last like 0.02 sec, which stinks. I'm going to show that part of the video to my daughter because she is always saying I need a purple gripper (it's her favorite color). 

- As for LOTR, you should watch it, Matt. At least the original trilogy. It's worth it. I wouldn't watch the Hobbit, though, especially if you actually read the book. Just my 0.02. 

TL;DR - This was awesome, and I could've watched another few hours.  Great stuff, guys!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

My plan is to listen to this one this afternoon. Can't wait.

Excellent brother! Grab some snacks becouse it will be a 3hr listen, but I guarantee it will be worth it 🏋️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

That's the first grip podcast episode I've ever listened to, it was definitely worth it, great job

Thank you Derek! I'm super happy you gave a listen to it 💪🏻

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

This was incredible!  Thanks so much to @pancho_grip_lift and @Cannon for sitting down for this. Like others, this was the first one that I watched end-to-end, and as a fellow gripper nerd, it was just amazing. A few things:

- I would buy a CPW banner and another CPW skull shirt in a heartbeat.  I love my old one, but it's just that: old. And I wouldn't mind getting another color. I realize an N=1 does not a viable product make, but I wanted to make that known. 

- I had surmised a lot of how Matt felt about product design and necessity on how he runs CPW, but it was interesting hearing about the ins and outs of his reasoning through all of it. Trying to fill those gaps first and foremost and never trying to put something out that didn't really have a purpose or was simply superfluous.  No filler!  Plus, hearing all of the details that go into fitting those grippers into the appropriate range was fascinating. 

- The discussion around the hour mark about what amount to purely digital relationships hit home for me. Especially since I have always been too busy to consider going to comps (maybe one day!), I feels weird to think that some these folks I interact with with fair regularity via email/message wouldn't know me from Adam in real life. It'd be awesome to actually meet and hang out and geek out about grip with some many people on here. 

- I always thought the Spectrum grippers were cool, but I didn't have the chance to buy them back when they were around.  I get that it is hard to keep/sale them given the difficulties you outlined, but personally a little show through wouldn't bother me.  The limitations could be highlighted on the product page with knurling coloring being an 'as-is' feature.  But I think that selling a new product that Matt considers 'blemished' directly to customer would probably bother him considering he pension for superb customer service. 

- On this topic, that purple 280N is SICK! I'm sure will last like 0.02 sec, which stinks. I'm going to show that part of the video to my daughter because she is always saying I need a purple gripper (it's her favorite color). 

- As for LOTR, you should watch it, Matt. At least the original trilogy. It's worth it. I wouldn't watch the Hobbit, though, especially if you actually read the book. Just my 0.02. 

TL;DR - This was awesome, and I could've watched another few hours.  Great stuff, guys!

Thank you my friend! I'm glad you watched the whole episode, and yes, it was fascinating to me to know more about the product design process, and it's good to read the interest in banners and skull t-shirts!!! If we show interest they will be back soon alongside with the gripboard t-shirts 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Thank you my friend! I'm glad you watched the whole episode, and yes, it was fascinating to me to know more about the product design process, and it's good to read the interest in banners and skull t-shirts!!! If we show interest they will be back soon alongside with the gripboard t-shirts 😁

That would be great. Whenever I rep mine, it's a consistent conversation starter.  Just such an awesome design.  And it was cool to hear that this design was literally the first take from the designer (at least that was presented to Matt). Talk about a home run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Whenever I rep mine, it's a consistent conversation starter.

That's a t-shirt idea right there. Rep the brand, rep the grippers. :rock

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

Rep the brand, rep the grippers MORE!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

I could not figure out for the life of me where and even how to get back the gripboard t-shirt design. So, I took another shot at it after seeing how cool it was in person on you.  I FOUND the design logo image and sent it to @Cannon!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'd buy that T-shirt 💥

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Piche said:

I could not figure out for the life of me where and even how to get back the gripboard t-shirt design. So, I took another shot at it after seeing how cool it was in person on you.  I FOUND the design logo image and sent it to @Cannon!!

YES!!! LET'S BRING IT BACK 😁💥

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Please make a GHP shirt available too if possible 

You'll want to talk to Wade. The brand is his exclusively. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful episode, was great to put a face to Matt's online presence and get a deeper understanding of the history, thought process, and focus of what is now his family business.

Of course, my favorite parts were hearing about the future plans with the new version of the Mash Monster certification, and the possibility of the future Chromium gripper to fill that wide gulf between the CoC 4 and the GHP 10.

My question would have been: Is there a rough estimate on when the new MM cert might materialize - 1st half of 2024, 2nd half of 2024, or later than that? Same question with the Chromium gripper.

Great stuff, and thanks for the podcast @pancho_grip_lift@Cannon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Please make a GHP shirt available too if possible 

I'd buy one as well!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deadgrip said:

IMG_3444.thumb.jpeg.8bfefab5a62d30691183a49142a6962b.jpeg

Beautiful!!!

• Thanks 1