Mb At Snowman!

Roark

Strongman update. Got these tidbits from the contest yesterday. Ostlund won the tire flip medley, McMahon won the farmer's, Schoonveld won the rock press, Sward and Schoonveld shared the win in the Bavarian DL with an 800 pound lift!, and Schoonveld won the loading medley.

BC.

Strongman update.  Got these tidbits from the contest yesterday.  Ostlund won the tire flip medley, McMahon won the farmer's, Schoonveld won the rock press, Sward and Schoonveld shared the win in the Bavarian DL with an 800 pound lift!, and Schoonveld won the loading medley.

BC.

more info.on the SNOWMAN strongman contest

just more info for strongman fans.

Interesting :dry a lot of amateurs defeated some of the Pros?Thinking out loud i wonder if the 'System'of qualifying to be a'PRO'should be reevaluated?Or if more amatuers should be allowed to 'qualify'as Pros?

Not saying that the old pros should be put out to pasture..some of these guys origianlly inspired my training...just thinking more ams should be given the green light...and make more 'room'for new Pros?

Most impressive is this Nowak guy(one of two brothers).....at about 210lbs ties for 6th place and also beats some Pros(defeated Sean Smith,Neese,Big Tony)

of course it IS early in the season...and just one contest....and anything can happen...but these Nowaks must have some serious 'motors'.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Tom, I think it's jsut a matter of the new blood coming in. Some pros are pros just because they were pros. Or because they were good enough amateurs at some point in time. We're just seeing the level go up. It's a survival of the fittest, and as more of the top amateurs distinguish themselves enough to qualify for their pro card, it will all weed itself out.

Tom, I think it's jsut a matter of the new blood coming in. Some pros are pros just because they were pros. Or because they were good enough amateurs at some point in time. We're just seeing the level go up. It's a survival of the fittest, and as more of the top amateurs distinguish themselves enough to qualify for their pro card, it will all weed itself out.

yeah...and you know as well as I...that if we were having this discussion-on a pure strongman forum- we would be strung up by our testicles,coated with elephant excrement and covered by dung beatles (thats AFTER being flogged with hickory sticks. :laugh )It would be considered 'disrespectful'.

But a pro-am contest puts everybody headsup and it sure dramatizes the talent level of some of these amateurs! :rock (Sward,Nowaks,Ostlund,mcmahon,etc.)

Now i know some amateurs .perhaps?don't want to go pro...or feel they aren't ready?but some of em?well i think at the Pro nationals it would be interesting to see what happened-IF more 'amateurs'were let out of their cages. :blink:blink Seriously?i don't think(at this moment)they will crack the top five......but it would make it interesting....

Also..wouldn't a 210lb pro strongman be something.I'm always a fan of the behemoths and monsters...but also of any sort of 'all around' strength freak!

Good God??does anyone know if this kid flipped the 1350# tire!

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

But a pro-am contest puts everybody headsup and it sure dramatizes the talent level of some of these amateurs! :rock (Sward,Nowaks,Ostlund,mcmahon,etc.)

Sam McMahon is a Pro.

Both Nowack brothers arevery good. They finished 2nd and 5th overall in the Lights at NASM 2003.

BC.

Interesting :dry a lot of amateurs defeated some of the Pros?Thinking out loud i wonder if the 'System'of qualifying to be a'PRO'should be reevaluated?Or if more amatuers should be allowed to 'qualify'as Pros?

I only mentioned that Sam was a Pro because, well- he is, but also because that means the Top 5 were all Pros and Ostlund (tied for 6th and could have turned Pro last year after winning Dino Days) arguably will be Pro as well in the short term. [Nowack remains a freakish competitor who falls way outside of the bell-curve.] From what I've seen of Big Tony the last couple of years it's not anything dramatic to beat him. I'm not slamming him, he's a great guy and I like him very much, but he'll be the first to tell you that all he wants is the 18" DL record. He didn't even farmer's walk 20' last year at his contest and didn't load a single stone. Granted, his back was causing him MAJOR pain that day.

As it is, if you win a Platinum NASS show you have the option to turn Pro. There are currently 14 Platinum shows on NASS's site, with more to be added as the year progresses. I think that there's plenty of opportunity to turn Pro.

It is fun to see the Pros and Amateurs 'mix it up' though at a contest like this.

BC.

As it is, if you win a Platinum NASS show you have the option to turn Pro.  There are currently 14 Platinum shows on NASS's site, with more to be added as the year progresses.  I think that there's plenty of opportunity to turn Pro.

It is fun to see the Pros and Amateurs 'mix it up' though at a contest like this.

BC.

Actually that isn't totally true only Platinum Plus winners get their pro card. Although it looks as if you can get one by winning multiple Platinum contests in a year. Unless there is some rule that isn't posted on the NASS that allows any Platinum Level winner to go pro.

Platinum Plus

This contest must have the approval of the NASS home Office and the IFSA-USA Home Office. Only State Chair Personnel with a proven history of hosting quality contests may host a Platinum Plus contest. There will be a maximum of 4-5 Platinum Plus Contest in the year 2003-2004 seasons.  The Platinum Plus contest winner will qualify for a pro spot in an IFSA-USA Regional Qualifier as a Platinum Qualified Amateur. This competitor can choose to stay an amateur or choose to become a pro. Once a heavyweight competitor wins more than one Platinum Level show in a year, he may be persuaded to compete at the professional level by his state chair and/or NASS President. Once you compete as a pro, you must remain a pro. Only with a one-year layoff from pro competition can a competitor go back to his/her amateur status. At the NASM contest, the four to five Platinum Level Contests will be decided for the year 2003-2004 seasons, based on the quality of competitions held in the year 2002-2003's contests season. All Platinum-Plus Contest will be an Open Contest only. A promoter may also have other divisions or weight classes in conjunction with the Platinum Plus Contest, but only the winner of the Open Division will qualify to receive his Pro-Card. The top three finishers will qualify to compete at the NASMC. If the winner chooses to turn professional, then the second through fourth place finishers will qualify for NASMC. The weights and equipment used in a Platinum Plus Contest must be within 90% of the weights used in a pro-level contest. A Contest can be both, a State Championship and a Platinum Level Contest. Expense money (up to $1000.00 per competitor) and/or supplement packages may be awarded.

Edited by Incindium

Incindium, you're right. I called Dione to make sure and it was last year that all Platinum contest winners could turn Pro. This year, with the addition of the Platinum Plus shows, it's only these Plus contest winners that can turn Pro.

That does change the scenario a bit, but 5-6 new Pros per year is still good. I'd rather not see NASS turn into NCAA basketball- a bunch of young kids with little experience. That would water down the Pro ranks too as it does in the NBA.

BC.

From what I've seen of Big Tony the last couple of years it's not anything dramatic to beat him.  I'm not slamming him, he's a great guy and I like him very much, but he'll be the first to tell you that all he wants is the 18" DL record.  He didn't even farmer's walk 20' last year at his contest and didn't load a single stone.  Granted, his back was causing him MAJOR pain that day.

Yes Big Tony is(apparently)just looking for that record...and i hopes he gets it. :rock

He's what?41?and diabetic(a friend told me he has a hell of a time regulating the disease)

I think the guy from our gym(jay),that competed at The Snowman(and he has never touched an implement and has only been lifting for 2years?) :D might?? have out pointed Big Tony.....but he said it was obvious Tony was there to have a good time and Tony did not appear to be 'trying'...and Tony in obvious pain.

BTW,Jay was just there -in his first contest-to sort of test the waters and to have some fun also.i guess he was just happy he didn't get last place. :D

He did tell a funnystory...said it took 4 guys to get Tony up on top of the Bavarian deadlift platform and 4 guys to help him down.... :blink he thought THAT looked like the toughest 'event'of the day. :unsure

On the other hand?(and i don't have all the placements yet...does anybody?)Some amateurs did beat Sean Smith(coming back after that tricep injury)and Neese...and of course some 'ams'took some events...However? Jay thought it was obvious that Schoonveld was in an entirely different 'class'(from everyone).He said the way Schoonveld pressed the 287# rock...was humbling...and that Schoonveld had plenty left in that Bavarian Deadlift.........

I'm not so sure? :cool (through the way i have intrepreted things)that there are 14 opportunitues to go pro...but I'll re-read everything......

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

I've heard too from several people that Schoonveld was clearly in a league of his own at that contest.

Oh yeah, both Nowack brothers finished the tire medley! Insane!

BC.

I've heard too from several people that Schoonveld was clearly in a league of his own at that contest.

Oh yeah, both Nowack brothers finished the tire medley!  Insane!

BC.

Thanks for confirming that about the Nowaks finishing the Tire medley.Jay wasn't sure but thought they did.For those just tuning in?means a 210lb guy flipped an 800#tireX3,then an 1100#tire-that jay said had verry little tread on and then flipped a 1350#tire.....which,i was told,Pro strongman 355lb ***Sean Smith Could NOT flip.

Inhuman demonstration of 'pound for pound' strength. :bow:bow:bow Ant like? :D lifting nearly 7 times his wieght(ok you don't really lift a tire....but 1350#is HEAVIER than the tire that fell back and wiped out WSM Gary Taylors knee many years ago).....'experts' :inno of that era said the tire was "too heavy"and/or "dangerously heavy".

Jay said the 800# was very EZ but he couldn't get 'under'the 1100.

***Jay also said Sean Smith,6'2",355# was the largest muscular person he's ever seen in person.....and he's seen a few ;);) He said Sean was changing his shirt and WASN'T fat.

i guess we all missed quite a display of grip strength,strong man and a bit of a freak show?!? :whacked

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Kirk Nowack is a stud and a half which is pretty evident by his performance.

Kirk is the first man to get the Atomic Athletic 375 pound stone to his chest. As a result, the stone is now named after him. It happened at the Iron Sport Gym in Glenolden, Pa and WSM competitor Steve Pulcinella was the witness. Theres some pics of him lifting the 375 lb. stone and doing a farmers carry in the gallery section over at Atomic Athletic.

Yes, and Kevin was the only Lightweight to load all ten stones at NASM 2003. And only nine Heavyweights loaded all ten stones the next day. (100-365).

BC.