Apneaa logs, training for the 2.5

Apneaa

Just had a really strong day, so strong that it made me think i just might be able to close the 2.5  in the future at some point despite my training being restricted by shoulder issues.

I just had a day where my strength on my 200lb just felt endless. When i came into grippers i didn't have expectations on how high i should set my long term goals BUT MAN that workout has me so confident.

So i'm starting this goal based log which i will  update upon reaching the 2.5.

I just bought the 2 and the 2.5 from Ironmind, they will take a while to arrive but they shall be here by early January. (I wont open the 2.5 upon arrival, i'll be waiting so i can close it on camera as i take it out of the package)

This workout routine is my everyday routine, i started it on January 1 2023

CURRENT TRAINING

FINGER FLEXION

100 pound (Counterfeit HG) gripper 3*15 R+L TNS

150 pound (Counterfeit HG) gripper 1*15 R+L TNS

200 pound (Counterfeit HG) gripper 1*3 R+L TNS

extensor finger band 2x50 R+L

WRIST

Wrist roller extension curls 8kg 3*100 

Wrist roller flexion curls 8kg 3*100

T-bar row wrist curls 8kg 3*100 R+L

Barbell behind the back finger+wrist curl 8kg 1*100 (I have to skip this exercise on days where my shoulder is messed up aka most days)

Strap band extension wrist curl 8kg 3*100 R+L

Strap band flexion wrist curl (very ulnar deviation dominant, i even do a set with a supinating motion) 8kg 3x15 R+L

Strap band hammer curl 8kg 3x15 R+L (I have to skip this exercice on days where my shoulder is messed up aka most days)

Strap band Pronation curl 8kg 1x15 R+L

Pronation handle rolls 1kg 1x100 R+L

Training will remain the same until i hit the 2 then i'll evaluate on gripper volume vs intensity.

If successful with the 2.5 in a convincing way, i will set myself toward the 3

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Update N°1 

Received the #2 and the #2.5, as expected i'm not yet fully able to close the 2, i can only go about 80% of the way.

Also received the GD grip 80, this thing is FUN god DAMN, i can close the 3 first setting TNS and i'm incredibly close to the 4th ( 55lb / 79lb / 103lb / 127lb)

I will say the GD is making me doubt whether i will ever want to go for the #3 because with the GD my left hand and right hand performances are evenly matched and equally fun whereas the #2 feel uncomfortable and awkward in my left hand.

Sad news is that for about 4 weeks now, i have only been able to train grippers, i had to drop all other forms of weight training as work is obliterating my shoulders, i notably had a workplace injury on my right shoulder involving lifting a 90+kg person with two other peoples down a flight of stairs into a 20m long corridor.

I'm patiently doing my rehab outside of work hours and i'm still doing grippers even if max effort hurt because i just cant let go of them for some reason.

I would say on this course i will close the 2 within this year for sure, but the 2.5 shall remain in it's packaging for a LONG while.

• Like 3

That sucks. Just keep moving forward. Do your rehab 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Felt the urge to do climbing again, quite badly.

Left shoulder held quite good but right shoulder not so much...

it's probably going to force me off the free weight par of my training for a few days but hopefully it will pass, bracing for grippers didn't hurt much.

For the sake of my shoulders, i tried to keep the session to easy boulders and keep the time short(1hour or so) but that didn't protect me.

Felt like tempting fate anyway, i don't regret anything.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a proper TNS close on the GD80 4th setting(127lb), also hit a consecutive (less than a second rest) rep pr of 7 on the 200lb CF Heavygrips 

I've also raised the volume for the 150 to 3x15 to test out where i'm at endurance wise and it has been going ok for a couple a days, i feel ready to relegate the 100lb to warmup material and make the 150 the main gripper and do 4x15 with it instead of  3x15 100 +1x15 150

I'm not attempting the 2 again because bracing very hard is still not ok for my shoulder for now but i feel like i'm 5 months away from a CCS close or at least a deep set close.

• Like 3

Had to look up what a GD80 was.  I'll admit it does look fun.  Keep up the good work.  Take care of that shoulder.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Apneaa said:

Finally had a proper TNS close on the GD80 4th setting(127lb), also hit a consecutive (less than a second rest) rep pr of 7 on the 200lb CF Heavygrips 

I've also raised the volume for the 150 to 3x15 to test out where i'm at endurance wise and it has been going ok for a couple a days, i feel ready to relegate the 100lb to warmup material and make the 150 the main gripper and do 4x15 with it instead of  3x15 100 +1x15 150

I'm not attempting the 2 again because bracing very hard is still not ok for my shoulder for now but i feel like i'm 5 months away from a CCS close or at least a deep set close.

Do you train with extensor bands? For me it helped a lot, to get thicker hand. Maybe as much as actually closing grippers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, martincerven said:

Do you train with extensor bands? For me it helped a lot, to get thicker hand. Maybe as much as actually closing grippers.

i do but only as a cool down, i think they are worth it just for the joint health, before i incorporated them my fingers were getting VERY creaky from all the volume

3 hours ago, Apneaa said:

i do but only as a cool down, i think they are worth it just for the joint health, before i incorporated them my fingers were getting VERY creaky from all the volume

You should try them on your gripper off days, and just train with heaviest bands ( black GG). I went from closing #2 to doing multiple reps with #2.5, and lot of it thanks to extensor bands. 

• Like 2