ChatGPT Gripper routine

Scottex92

Just for laughs I put this prompt into ChatGPT:

Make a twice a week program for training torsion spring hand grippers that seeks to increase the maximum closing power

And after some minor adjustments it ended up in this:

Day 1: Strength Emphasis

Warm-up (5-10 minutes):

Light cardio (jump rope, brisk walking) to increase blood flow.

Dynamic stretching for wrists, forearms, and fingers.

Strength Training:

Torsion spring hand gripper sets: Choose a gripper with resistance that allows you to perform 3-5 reps per set.

Set 1: 80% ME (Maximum Effort) - 3 reps

Set 2: 85% ME - 3 reps

Set 3: 90% ME - 2 reps

Set 4: 90% ME - 2 reps

Set 5: 85% ME - 3 reps

Assistance Exercises:

Wrist curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Reverse wrist curls: 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Farmer's walks: 3 sets of 60 seconds.

Endurance Training:

Use a gripper with lighter resistance.

Perform 2 sets of maximum reps at around 50-60% ME.

Day 2: Power and Technique

Warm-up (5-10 minutes):

Same as Day 1.

Power Training:

Explosive gripper closes: Use a gripper with moderate resistance.

4 sets of 5 reps, focusing on a powerful and controlled close at around 70-80% ME.

Plyometric exercises for fingers: Lightly squeeze a stress ball or use finger resistance bands.

Technique Training:

Isometric holds: Set the gripper at a challenging position and hold for 10-15 seconds at around 70-80% ME. Repeat for 2 sets.

Controlled negatives: Close the gripper with both hands and release it slowly using one hand at around 70-80% ME. Start with 2 sets of 5 controlled negatives.

Assistance Exercises:

Plate pinches: 2 sets of 30-45 seconds.

Towel hangs: Hang from a pull-up bar using a towel for grip; 2 sets of 30 seconds.

What do you guys think? To me it looks good, to make it better maybe I should ask it for a more detailed peaking planning to test for 1RM.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scottex92 said:

Make a twice a week program for training torsion spring hand grippers that seeks to increase the maximum closing power

Warm-up (5-10 minutes):

Strength Training:

Torsion spring hand gripper sets: Choose a gripper with resistance that allows you to perform 3-5 reps per set.

Assistance Exercises:

Endurance Training:

Warm-up (5-10 minutes):

Same as Day 1.

Power Training:

4 sets of 5 reps, focusing on a powerful and controlled close at around 70-80% ME.

Plyometric exercises for fingers: Lightly squeeze a stress ball or use finger resistance bands.

Technique Training:

Isometric holds: Set the gripper at a challenging position and hold for 10-15 seconds at around 70-80% ME. Repeat for 2 sets.

Controlled negatives: Close the gripper with both hands and release it slowly using one hand at around 70-80% ME. Start with 2 sets of 5 controlled negatives.

Assistance Exercises:

Towel hangs: Hang from a pull-up bar using a towel for grip; 2 sets of 30 seconds.

What do you guys think? To me it looks good, to make it better maybe I should ask it for a more detailed peaking planning to test for 1RM.

I don't know enough about training to judge the quality of this, but if I had seen this on the page of someone who DOES know, as their recommendation, I'd have thought it was for real and believed it was created with some knowledge of its purpose.

My own training is much less formulaic, and just kind of goes by how I feel that day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scottex92 said:

Warm-up (5-10 minutes):

Strength Training:

Assistance Exercises:

Endurance Training:

Warm-up (5-10 minutes):

Same as Day 1.

Power Training:

Technique Training:

Assistance Exercises:

It was probably trained on posts from this site, problem is that it seems believable.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I don't know enough about training to judge the quality of this, but if I had seen this on the page of someone who DOES know, as their recommendation, I'd have thought it was for real and believed it was created with some knowledge of its purpose.

My own training is much less formulaic, and just kind of goes by how I feel that day.

I have asked it to generate a 8 week peaking program and I think I will follow it, I just finished Cadence Based Training by Jedd so I will compare and report on results

14 minutes ago, martincerven said:

It was probably trained on posts from this site, problem is that it seems believable.

yeah, I mean it has to extract the info from somewhere and this is one of the most reputable sources on grippers haha

• Like 1

That’s a beefy day 1. Too much, I think, to be a general recommendation. That’s a day 1 of an experienced person who has fine-tuned exactly what they need. 

• Like 1