18y/os grip journey

Tomas_3

12/19/2023

I know it’s not the 19th but this post is for the 19th I been pretty busy with work (Christmas break is beating my butt) 

On the 19th I used my adjustable gripper and extensor hand throughout my shift and when I got home I did the “exercises” from the video https://youtube.com/shorts/ZD6cVlyPSvg?si=sNBalRZAkn6OzWCC

followed by 10 pushups and “hand shakes” and it may sound stupid but I think it feels nice on my wrists and simply put i flail my hands side to side for 10 seconds and up and down 10 seconds. Followed by doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with my 3lb weight to practice my form for the future and ending with a little dead hang. 

Overall my forearms felt good but I didn’t have time cause of work at I been 4 in the morning.

• Like 3

Gymnast work is a big side of wrist training, it's not a side that receive much discussion on this board but there's plenty of resources online, from yoga to calisthenics/climbing there's a great variety of movements.

It's more endurance and conditioning oriented in most of the online material so you might have to adapt the exercises you find online 

• Like 3

Hello it’s been a few days but I have been keeping up its just I have had so little time that it’s hard to be consistent but happily I’ll be off from the 28th to the 2nd anyways imma do a summary of the past few days.

12/20/2023

This day I just did my normal recovery routine for blood flow and my forearm felt amazing so I knew it was time for some fun in the upcoming day.

12/21/2023 

I did rolling thunder work in the same format at the first session so I did my normal warm up followed by 10 second holds of increasing weights and cool down of decreasing weight and the warm up again. I’ll display the weights and keep in mind it was 10 second holds

40lbs x 1

60lbs x 1

75lbs x 1 (was gonna do 85lbs but wanted to save some fatigue cause 60lbs felt really easy and wanted to PR)

95lbs x 1 (left hand could only hold it for 9 seconds sadly)[10lb PR]
95lbs x 1 (right hand did 8 seconds left hand did 6)

75lbs x 1

60lbs x 1

40lbs x 2

and cooled down with the same warm up 

12/22/2023

Did my normal recovery day and my forearms felt kinda sore mainly felt some tendon ”strain”(no pain or anything just a lot of fatigue) so definitely gonna pay attention to that. Also took a look at those rock climbing boards that you put on your wall that has different thickness for hanging and different finger holds. Definitely might get one for tendon conditioning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomas_3 said:

Hello it’s been a few days but I have been keeping up its just I have had so little time that it’s hard to be consistent but happily I’ll be off from the 28th to the 2nd anyways imma do a summary of the past few days.

12/20/2023

This day I just did my normal recovery routine for blood flow and my forearm felt amazing so I knew it was time for some fun in the upcoming day.

12/21/2023 

I did rolling thunder work in the same format at the first session so I did my normal warm up followed by 10 second holds of increasing weights and cool down of decreasing weight and the warm up again. I’ll display the weights and keep in mind it was 10 second holds

40lbs x 1

60lbs x 1

75lbs x 1 (was gonna do 85lbs but wanted to save some fatigue cause 60lbs felt really easy and wanted to PR)

95lbs x 1 (left hand could only hold it for 9 seconds sadly)[10lb PR]
95lbs x 1 (right hand did 8 seconds left hand did 6)

75lbs x 1

60lbs x 1

40lbs x 2

and cooled down with the same warm up 

12/22/2023

Did my normal recovery day and my forearms felt kinda sore mainly felt some tendon ”strain”(no pain or anything just a lot of fatigue) so definitely gonna pay attention to that. Also took a look at those rock climbing boards that you put on your wall that has different thickness for hanging and different finger holds. Definitely might get one for tendon conditioning.

just be careful with those climbing boards. I hear they are very tough on the hands and take a long time to condition. For the RT holds, you wanna aim for 7-10 seconds,.. Anything under 7 seconds you drop the weight its too heavy, anything over 10 its too light and move up a little. Id add thumbless deadlifts with the RT into the mix also.

Soreness like that happens but good there is no pain.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

just be careful with those climbing boards. I hear they are very tough on the hands and take a long time to condition. For the RT holds, you wanna aim for 7-10 seconds,.. Anything under 7 seconds you drop the weight its too heavy, anything over 10 its too light and move up a little. Id add thumbless deadlifts with the RT into the mix also.

Soreness like that happens but good there is no pain.

Gotcha I’ll have to be careful with the climbing board when I get it and keep in mind about the 7-10 seconds. As for the thumbless deadlift I’ll try and add them once I build up a work load cause I don’t want to slack on intensity for more volume.

Yeah I’m happy I haven’t ran into any pain just some mild soreness nothing crazy.

• Like 2

12/29/2023

Have been on a grip break for a second to prioritize work (I work as a server at the second busiest dine in cinema in the country) because Christmas break beat me so bad that all I could do was work eat and sleep the past week. I still did my recovery protocol consistently at the very least. Also I have 6 day break so I’m going to hop back on the grip grind! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone been about a week a lot went down.

12/30/2023

I chilled with my homies and we “partied” cause my best friend was going to depart for the marines and wanted to spend time with him for a bit and on the grip side I did my recovery protocol.

12/31/2023

I spent most my time with family and ate the black eye peas for good luck for the incoming new year and I did the recovery protocol as usual on my off days.

1/1/2024

I did do a gripper workout but I didn’t put down the sets or anything however I do remember most the working sets

the working set consisted of

2 wide set crush then hold for 5 seconds on the 1.5 CoC

1 wide set crush then hold for 5 seconds on the 2.0 CoC

2 wide set crush then hold for 5 seconds on the 1.5 CoC  
(wanted to add I feel like in general I’m rather weak on the last centimeter of a gripper)

1/2/2024 - 1/6/2024

I been sick with worse than flu like symptoms and I did go to the doctor and they said it’s just a aggressive strand of virus that just goes around and is way less common so they can’t really test for it, and for it to just run the course. I am thankful I don’t have any muscle weakness I just feel internally terrible; I’m doing just fine and will resume with everything as normal when it passes!

• Like 4

I hope you get better soon 

• Like 2

Hope you get better soon. Good luck to your buddy joining the Marines

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

January Breakdown

1/7/2024

I jumped back into after recovering from being sick and paid close attention to how everything felt and noticed a lot of imbalance. I decided to dial it back and work more on volume and conditioning for the rest of the month.

1/8/2024-2/1/2024

I have been doing 95% just volume work. I have noticed good results in my endurance for both muscle and tendon. (A little thing I found fun to add here and there was handstands cause it felt great on my wrists)

Hoping to ease my way back into more singles and maxing out but I don’t know how to split my works outs, so if y’all have any ideas I’d love to listen.

The thing I’m confused about is can you combine grippers with pinch blocks or can you combine pinch blocks with wrist curls or something. Like what type of grip work can go together without too much overlap? 

Enlighten me fellas!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomas_3 said:

January Breakdown

1/7/2024

I jumped back into after recovering from being sick and paid close attention to how everything felt and noticed a lot of imbalance. I decided to dial it back and work more on volume and conditioning for the rest of the month.

1/8/2024-2/1/2024

I have been doing 95% just volume work. I have noticed good results in my endurance for both muscle and tendon. (A little thing I found fun to add here and there was handstands cause it felt great on my wrists)

Hoping to ease my way back into more singles and maxing out but I don’t know how to split my works outs, so if y’all have any ideas I’d love to listen.

The thing I’m confused about is can you combine grippers with pinch blocks or can you combine pinch blocks with wrist curls or something. Like what type of grip work can go together without too much overlap? 

Enlighten me fellas!

Glad your feeling better... Yes many people do grippers and pinch.... From what I hear grippers and thick bar is what a lot of people have a hard time balancing. But everybody is different...    You can probably do grippers, pinch block and wrist curls.

I like doing handstands too against the wall.. Make sure you warm your wrists up properly before doing them, i've tweaked mine a few times. And I work with singles a lot but I never max out on them.

20 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Glad your feeling better... Yes many people do grippers and pinch.... From what I hear grippers and thick bar is what a lot of people have a hard time balancing. But everybody is different...    You can probably do grippers, pinch block and wrist curls.

I like doing handstands too against the wall.. Make sure you warm your wrists up properly before doing them, i've tweaked mine a few times. And I work with singles a lot but I never max out on them.

Thanks man glad to be back and better than ever!

Awesome to hear I can combine one than one type of grip in a session cause I find them all super fun!

I see a trend in a lot of strength sports where the farther you get into training the less frequent you max out and I’ll have to max out less and less frequent in the future and stick to heavy singles for sure.

• Like 2