Standard Copper!

Cannon

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Like other Standard grippers, we are controlling the assembly as closely as we can. This means the spread ultimately sets the rating. 102 is the low end for these and therefore will be the most narrow. 108 is closer to the high end and will be wider. 105-107 have been the most common numbers. I think we’ve had one at 100 and two at 110. Even at 110 I believe they are still under 70 mm though. 

Sounds great, I'm just curious. I don't care what mine will be I just like seeing data on things as I'm pretty Geeky like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Mine is still on the way, it should be landing in London today so I'll update this when I get it. Do you have any calipers to measure the spread? I'm just curious.

Great job, I commented on your YouTube. Made it look easy.

Although they are meant to average 65mm spread, yours looks wide. Do you have any calipers to measure the spread. That looks wide in your pic?

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Like other Standard grippers, we are controlling the assembly as closely as we can. This means the spread ultimately sets the rating. 102 is the low end for these and therefore will be the most narrow. 108 is closer to the high end and will be wider. 105-107 have been the most common numbers. I think we’ve had one at 100 and two at 110. Even at 110 I believe they are still under 70 mm though. 

Thanks for your comment and support!  Just doing I best I can with @Cannon's creations.  😊

As for the gripper width, unfortunately the cheap calipers I have are better suited for measuring the outside of blobs than the inside of grippers, so I had to borrow my daughter's ruler.

By my old eyes, the Copper came in at 68mm while the Platinum (for comparison) was 79mm.  I included a photo so you can see difference.  Hope that helps.

Copper vs Platinum.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks for your comment and support!  Just doing I best I can with @Cannon's creations.  😊

As for the gripper width, unfortunately the cheap calipers I have are better suited for measuring the outside of blobs than the inside of grippers, so I had to borrow my daughter's ruler.

By my old eyes, the Copper came in at 68mm while the Platinum (for comparison) was 79mm.  I included a photo so you can see difference.  Hope that helps.

Copper vs Platinum.jpg

Maybe try a TNS next? 

The CCS was so easy.

You have 2 Real beauties rights there. 

Thats great thanks, I like to see how they differ in spread and strength etc, I find it pretty Fascinating tbh. I like to see data on things and the numbers, I've always been like that and i don't know why lol. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Maybe try a TNS next? 

The CCS was so easy.

I was thinking TNS might be possible!  Might give my right hand a few days before I try that though...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

Great piece in this video about Standard grippers. @VintageWeightsPGH, thank you for the shout! (Amazing show voice and presentation too. You’re great on camera!) 

Glad he put in the good word for you. Obviously the people here know about your grippers but I had no idea about the Saxon barbell converters so I got myself a pair. Good vid overall

• Like 2

I've just came home to this beauty waiting for me 😍 mine came in at 105lbs which is perfect for me as I have a 102lb and 107lbs so this is a nice small gap filler. It measured a smidge over 67mm for anyone interested in spreads like me.

IMG_20231212_164540.jpg

IMG_20231212_164635.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I've just came home to this beauty waiting for me 😍 mine came in at 105lbs which is perfect for me as I have a 102lb and 107lbs so this is a nice small gap filler. It measured a smidge over 67mm for anyone interested in spreads like me.

That does sound perfect!  Have you taken it for a ride yet?

• Thanks 1

I was very happy to receive a 107 Copper as well as these others.  Possibly overkill but I am sick of not being able to close my 102 - I think I would have had it done months ago if not for an injury setting me back.

Wouldn't you know it, though, I copped Covid this week and have not been able to give them a go yet!

grippers.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

That does sound perfect!  Have you taken it for a ride yet?

Thanks Doug. Not yet, I did grippers yesterday and the coin holds have made my forearms pretty sore so I'll need a few days rest first. I can't wait. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

3 hours ago, PumptheBrachs said:

I was very happy to receive a 107 Copper as well as these others.  Possibly overkill but I am sick of not being able to close my 102 - I think I would have had it done months ago if not for an injury setting me back.

Wouldn't you know it, though, I copped Covid this week and have not been able to give them a go yet!

grippers.jpg

Very nice. Having small increments like that below 102 should help you get it for sure. 

The road to closing big grippers can be a long one for many so just keep at it once you are recovered. I hope you get better soon man 🤞

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PumptheBrachs said:

grippers.jpg

Nice grippers! I wish you the best with your recovery. I bet you’ll be closing your 102 before you know it! Sometimes when you’re very close some good days of rest is all you need. 

• Like 4

On 12/12/2023 at 5:04 PM, mcalpine1986 said:

Here are mine:

102 - 65.25, 105 - 66.5, 107 - 67.5, 108 -  68.25,

Need a better way to measure spreads the tolerance is way to much. I repeated the measurements by putting an indent into paper and measuring got 2mm more on average. If comparing grippers I would think measuring the depth of handle to spring as per the CPW blog on re gluing a gripper handle would be a better option or some sort of slip gauge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:12 PM, Cannon said:

Great piece in this video about Standard grippers. @VintageWeightsPGH, thank you for the shout! (Amazing show voice and presentation too. You’re great on camera!) 

Thanks so much! I hope to get some new people obsessed with grippers! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Busa said:

Here are mine:

102 - 65.25, 105 - 66.5, 107 - 67.5, 108 -  68.25,

Need a better way to measure spreads the tolerance is way to much. I repeated the measurements by putting an indent into paper and measuring got 2mm more on average. If comparing grippers I would think measuring the depth of handle to spring as per the CPW blog on re gluing a gripper handle would be a better option or some sort of slip gauge.

Interesting stuff, thank you for posting. I like to see data like that. So you dont have calipers? 

Yes use them at work. I just found that hand eye can give a false reading with the handles being round I would say its easy to be 2mm out. As a comparison between grippers as with RGC you can confirm which will be weaker. More than that I would say slip gauges or a go / no go measurement would maybe be better.

Slip gauge

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Busa said:

Yes use them at work. I just found that hand eye can give a false reading with the handles being round I would say its easy to be 2mm out. As a comparison between grippers as with RGC you can confirm which will be weaker. More than that I would say slip gauges or a go / no go measurement would maybe be better.

Slip gauge

I see, yes and I also find that using a tape measure you can be 1-2mm off when measuring spread so that's why I bought some Vernier calipers. 

My first session with the Standard copper today, my hands are not that fresh but I couldn't wait any longer to try it.

I just hit some CCS closes, I hope to TNS this soon. I missed closing it on the left hand by 2mm but that was MMS.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This is my favorite gripper right now. 

I agree although I have only used it once, it felt perfect for working with at my current level. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Standard's are superior to COC's. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I agree although I have only used it once, it felt perfect for working with at my current level. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Standard's are superior to COC's. 

I'm going to keep this in the rotation.  I have a filed CoC #2 that's also 108.  But I like the feel of the Standard Copper better.

Maybe one day I'll re-shoot a video I made back in July but replace the three CCS with the CoC #2 with three TNS with the Standard Copper.  Would be very taxing but probably a great workout.  🤔

My gripper numbers were coming up in early summer but I switched more exclusively to thick bar and pinch blocks for Heavy Hands prep.  So it's been in the back of my mind that I want to work on them more...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I have two Standards now.  I can say without hesitation that they are super well made and my favorite knurling of any grippers I've ever closed.  😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm loving this standard copper, my new favourite working gripper. I did a few sets of Coin holds as a finisher this morning.

I could only do 12, 13 then 15 seconds on the last set. Coin holds are fun and effective for building the final range of motion.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
I was wondering if the standard range is 3 inch and less between the handles because I am considering buying the copper tin and if the 115 is less than 3 inch I will buy it thank you

• Like 1