5x5 for gripper training?

AdriaanRobert96

Has anyone had any success with 5x5 or other similar schemes?

I tried working my left with 5x5 or 5x as many reps as possible with my 2.5 and it got me closing the #3 within 3 weeks..

OBS: Had pain in my left knuckle..

• Like 1

some thing to try , how many days a week do you train with grippers.

• Like 1

Interesting threads on this topic:

Why we don't use 5x5 or 531 for grippers - Archived post 

5/3/1 Discussion Thread - Training grippers like powerlifting (Edit: whoops, this thread is about actual 5/3/1 powerlifting and a little about how to also train grippers at the same time.) 

Edited by Cannon
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

some thing to try , how many days a week do you train with grippers.

I decided maybe I’ll try that on my right hand aswell since it seem to work on my left😄

I only train once a week at this point.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Everyone is different but for me, working grippers like powerlifting doesn't work at all.

I was doing my own thing aswell and then when my leftie gave me issues I could barely close the one because of knuckle pain..

After that I started doing sets of 5 x 10-20, after that I tried doing 5 x 5-8 and it got my knuckle healed and I am now closing the #3 on my left without pain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Interesting threads on this topic:

Why we don't use 5x5 or 531 for grippers - Archived post 

5/3/1 Discussion Thread - Training grippers like powerlifting (Edit: whoops, this thread is about actual 5/3/1 powerlifting and a little about how to also train grippers at the same time.) 

Appreciate it lad, I’ll give it a read tonight🫡

I make good progress on grippers whenever I do higher volume stuff like once a week 5 sets of 5-10 reps. I’m actually down a bit on grippers right now and trying to get them back up started with 5 sets of 10 on my hg300 and after a few weeks I was at 5 sets of 12 with my hg300. Last week I did 5 sets of 6 on my ghp7. I will try to work up to probably 5 sets of 8 then move onto my coc3 it’s a bit harder and try to get that up to the 5 sets of 8 range. Most purple don’t train like this and don’t have success when they do but it seems to work for me. 

• Like 5

nice , I think I will give it a try. I am going nowhere with my routine now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

I make good progress on grippers whenever I do higher volume stuff like once a week 5 sets of 5-10 reps. I’m actually down a bit on grippers right now and trying to get them back up started with 5 sets of 10 on my hg300 and after a few weeks I was at 5 sets of 12 with my hg300. Last week I did 5 sets of 6 on my ghp7. I will try to work up to probably 5 sets of 8 then move onto my coc3 it’s a bit harder and try to get that up to the 5 sets of 8 range. Most purple don’t train like this and don’t have success when they do but it seems to work for me. 

Volume seems to be doing something, for me I always need a heavy set and then I go for volume..

In other words very similar to you :)

• Like 1

nice , I think I will give it a try. I am going nowhere with my routine now

Always worth trying other routines once old ones don’t make you progress😄

Goodluck!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

For each of your rep ranges, are you getting a complete close on the last rep?  Clicking?  Or just coming close and counting that as a rep?

Edited by RITParent15
word missing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RITParent15 said:

For each of your rep ranges, are you getting a complete close on the last rep?  Clicking?  Or just coming close and counting that as a rep?

So far I get a complete close every rep but I also started a bit light as I lost some strength and was working back up to my old max. As it gets harder like the 7 and 8 rep ranges on my ghp7 I may not quite close a rep we’ll see. 

• Like 2

I personally think there's alot of merit to training grippers like a powerlifter, Using hypertrophy/Strength/Peaking phases instead of trying to steady state increase your GPP by doing solely heavy closes, I feel like thats where alot of people who aren't genetically gifted with static strength off the jump start to stall out because they need to build muscle to then adapt with strength and peaking phases, For instance when i'm on a hypertrophy volume phase i'll do 3 sets of 6 reps with a 3.5 which roughly falls at around 75% 1RM, Then going down to a 3 for 3 sets of 8, Then down to a 2.5 for 2 sets of 8 with a block set, Strength phase will be either 176 rated titanium or 180 3.5 for 5 sets of 3 for 4 weeks then tapering off toward 1RM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Currently, I'm using a program that goes like this rep scheme 10 7 5 3 2 1. It's worked in the past, but in grippers it only gets you so far.

In bench and deadlifts and even squat it works great.

taking two days off of gripping. Going to try 5x5  for one month .

starting off with a light grippers, start at three days a week for week one go to two days a week after that. Will test after week two

• Like 3

Currently, I'm using a program that goes like this rep scheme 10 7 5 3 2 1. It's worked in the past, but in grippers it only gets you so far.

In bench and deadlifts and even squat it works great.

taking two days off of gripping. Going to try 5x5  for one month .

starting off with a light grippers, start at three days a week for week one go to two days a week after that. Will test after week two

Exciting, let me know how it goes👌🏼

• Like 1