after closing the Coc # 2 69 x in a day I got this tendonitis

alan_fra

Good luck ,if any thing you will get a great pump.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:31 PM, alan_fra said:

Thanks. Yes, I already use msm daily. 1 teaspoon daily along with 1 teaspoon vitamin C and a teaspoon of calcium powder and 1 teaspoon of magnesium powder.

I would also include vitamin A & D plus of course Collagen its self to help with repair and strength / stiffness of tendons myself.

It looks like you are trying to get a pump more than train for grip strength. I have not seen many programs that encourage such high volume with grippers over a long period. One problem you will face is that they are not able to get the blood to the trained area in the quantity needed to sustain improvement within your tendons. As Alawadhi mentioned the hot cold bath would help when doing this volume in getting blood to the area after training along with massage therapy and stretching / flossing.

I would look more at full range of motion - you can do the narrow gripper it does have a place this could be classed as a partial rep, But you do need to allow for the full range or it can soon become an over use injury. Also maybe an explosive rep, trying your goal gripper (quick forceful movements against an immovable force 😀).

I do worry about the volume you are trying. I would at the very least think about cycling in a more sedate pace in trying to improve your tendon strength.

• Like 4

On 11/24/2023 at 7:46 AM, Busa said:

I would also include vitamin A & D plus of course Collagen its self to help with repair and strength / stiffness of tendons myself.

It looks like you are trying to get a pump more than train for grip strength. I have not seen many programs that encourage such high volume with grippers over a long period. One problem you will face is that they are not able to get the blood to the trained area in the quantity needed to sustain improvement within your tendons. As Alawadhi mentioned the hot cold bath would help when doing this volume in getting blood to the area after training along with massage therapy and stretching / flossing.

I would look more at full range of motion - you can do the narrow gripper it does have a place this could be classed as a partial rep, But you do need to allow for the full range or it can soon become an over use injury. Also maybe an explosive rep, trying your goal gripper (quick forceful movements against an immovable force 😀).

I do worry about the volume you are trying. I would at the very least think about cycling in a more sedate pace in trying to improve your tendon strength.

Thanks, I will try to include the vitamin A and D. I think I have some D lying around in the kitchen area. 

I'm not sure if my intention is a pump. The 69 x COC closes was during a 6 hour period so like every 10 min or 15 min I was trying to close it as much as I could. It was my intention to increase grip strength by doing volume training but that doesn't seem to be as effective as you and others have mentioned on this grip forum. 

The narrow grippers ... you mean the Elite Series right ? Well, I'm doing them now because they are arm friendly and I've never been injured from them yet. Yes, Full range is important and I have done exclusively wide sets with the Elite grippers and the COC 2  and 2.5. 

Yes, with the volume I was doing I need to take a longer break and also have light sessions so as not to reinjure myself again.

Yesterday I did 6 sets of wrist curls for a total of over 900 reps. 4 sets of 18.3 kg at 150 reps each and 2 sets of 27.5 kg at 70 and 94 reps. Then I tried the barbell  reverse curls at 27.5 kg and I stopped midair before completing a rep as I felt an injury might happen. It turns out that these are where my injury feels most sensitive at the moment... by the brachioradialis.  The weakest area is when I flex the forearm because I feel that it's not recovered fully

Edited by alan_fra
  • Like 1

I did not even do biology at school but from what I have read over the years:

I see what you are trying, using the continuous movement to get nourishment to the tendons by volume over time. From my understanding they draw in the nourishment via movement say like a sponge in water.

That nourishment helps with the repair of the tendons. If you are not allowing the repair stage to take place its simple you are over training them. Also if you are not getting a full range like a sponge in water (Not squeezing much) you are not getting much nourishment for the repair

Hitting the area from different sides is not letting them repair it could just be damaging them even more. Also If you think of any lift when exhausted you can squeeze out a couple more via some sort of cheat as a youngster Joe Weider called them the Weider principles but think they have been around for longer. ie drop sets, assisted reps & sorter ranges of motion (partials) to name a few of the popular this would completely put the muscle in complete failure or rather its ability to do anymore work.

I would say what you are telling me is either, due to you using something too heavy ie full range on the CoC or you are doing it too often you are now unable to complete what you have been able to do. This to me says you are over training and not letting the area recover.

If you feel the need to keep training maybe band work, static lifts (chain pulls) bull ring lifts, static twist work say with a therma bar.

Have a good read of all the training posts while recovering for more ideas. Or get a coach to help.

55 minutes ago, Busa said:

Or get a coach to help.

Essentially this. Or at least study, watch and mirror what the true pros do.

Jedd, David Horne,  Carl, Adam T.. you name it. they didn't get strong tendons by doing crazy high reps on grippers.. You need progressive overload. 

Yes a block mason will get very strong hands from laying block all day..With the right genetics you can get freakishly strong. But its by far not the most practical way to get strong.

Theres a time and place for training like this and i like doing things like this myself, a lot actually. But if strong tendons are what you are after, progressive overload, focus on the recovery aspect like stated and maybe just do burn out set with very light grippers at the end. 

Either way good luck with your training and goals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 6 weeks and my forearm is about 99 percent healed with some superficial tender spots still left over. Now my weakest spot is the elbow area. It's like when I put on a jacket it hurts when I use my right arm. And also when I close the bathroom door with my right arm it is especially sensitive and there are jolts of pain. Does anyone else have this elbow problem after doing grippers ? 

I did 3 attempts at the Coc # 2 today. I closed it the first time. Waited 3 minutes and got 3 mm away. Then Waited 5 min and got 5 mm away. This is below par for me. It's like I am lacking strength. I estimate I'm only at 80 percent strength. Does anyone know how long it might take to recover my strength ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alan_fra said:

It's been almost 6 weeks and my forearm is about 99 percent healed with some superficial tender spots still left over. Now my weakest spot is the elbow area. It's like when I put on a jacket it hurts when I use my right arm. And also when I close the bathroom door with my right arm it is especially sensitive and there are jolts of pain. Does anyone else have this elbow problem after doing grippers ? 

I did 3 attempts at the Coc # 2 today. I closed it the first time. Waited 3 minutes and got 3 mm away. Then Waited 5 min and got 5 mm away. This is below par for me. It's like I am lacking strength. I estimate I'm only at 80 percent strength. Does anyone know how long it might take to recover my strength ? 

is the pain like an electric jolt? notably when you bend the elbow deeply and extend it fully afterward? 

do you have numbness or tingles in your pinky/ring finger?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Apneaa said:

is the pain like an electric jolt? notably when you bend the elbow deeply and extend it fully afterward? 

do you have numbness or tingles in your pinky/ring finger?

It's not an electric jolt. When I bend the elbow deeply and extend it there is no pain and it feels fine. There is a basic pain  , a dull pain when I push , for example pushing my hand palm down against the computer desk, closing the door where the door knob is on the left side. Arm wrestling would be out the question since I wouldn't have much strength to resist the force. It's a lack of pushing power. I feel weak to push

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

4 months have gone by and I'm totally healed ! The tendons are not sore anymore. I can do a normal gripper routine ! I was finally able to do several sets on the Coc # 2 without a problem. I tested my strength by doing 69 reps on the COC # 2 again ! Guess what ? It's not a problem anymore ! I can do it much easier and without trouble.

Here's my routine when I first got injured on that aweful day last year

Oct 29 

Bench Press

set 1 75 , 55 at 8 54 am , set 2 26 kg 21 at 9 42 am , 25 at 11 41 am , 21 at 1 28 pm , 21 at 2 14 pm , 

Coc # 2 6 reps at 8 56 am , 4 reps at 9 07 am , 2 reps at 9 09 am , 2 reps and third was 4 mm away at 9 15 am , 1 rep and second was 4 mm away at 9 22 am , 1 rep at 9 25 am , 3 reps at 9 46 am , 2 reps and third was 4 mm away at 9 51 am , 21 times closed so far , 3 reps and fourth was 9 mm away at 9 59 am , 1 rep at 10 05 am , 1 rep at 10 15 am , 1 rep at 10 22 am , 1 rep at 10 39 am , 3 reps and fourth was 4 mm away at 11 43 am , 3 reps at 11 48 am , 34 x closed so far , 3 reps at 11 58 am , 1 rep and second was 9 mm away at 12 04 pm , 2 reps at 12 24 pm , 7 mm away at 12 25 pm , 2 reps at 12 32 pm , 3 reps at 12 38 pm , 45 times closed so far , 9 mm away at 12 45 pm , 1 rep at 12 49 pm , 1 rep at 12 51 pm , 4 reps at 1 31 pm , 3 reps and fourth was 4 mm away at 1 44 pm , 54 times closed so far , 2 reps and third was 4 mm away at 1 47 pm , 2 mm away at 1 53 pm , 2 mm away at 1 54 pm , 1 rep at 1 59 pm , feel weak and fatigued , 1 rep at 2 06 pm , 58 times closed so far , 1 rep at 2 09 pm , 3 reps at 2 17 pm , 3 reps at 2 25 pm , 65 times closed so far , 67 reps at 2 39 pm , 4 mm away at 2 42 pm , 1 rep at 2 49 pm , 1 rep at 2 54 pm , 69 total so far , 

Now here's my routine that I finished today

Feb 1

Coc 2 , closed without chalk , without warmup , sitting down at 7 16 am , almost 6 reps on video , left hand 5 mm away at 10 36 am , almost 6 reps at 10 50 am , left hand 5 mm away at 10 51 am , 1 rep at 10 56 am , 1 rep at 10 56 am , left hand 7 mm away at 10 57 am , almost 6 reps on video at 1 41 pm , left hand 5 mm away at 1 43 pm , almost 7 reps at 1 56 pm , 5 reps at 2 26 pm , 7 reps at 2 40 pm , 6 reps at 2 59 pm , 5 reps and sixth was 7 mm away at 4 05 pm , 51 reps so far , 6 reps at 4 20 pm , 57 reps so far , 6 reps at 4 37 pm , 6 reps at 4 53 pm , 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, alan_fra said:

4 months have gone by and I'm totally healed ! The tendons are not sore anymore. I can do a normal gripper routine ! I was finally able to do several sets on the Coc # 2 without a problem. I tested my strength by doing 69 reps on the COC # 2 again ! Guess what ? It's not a problem anymore ! I can do it much easier and without trouble.

Oct 29 

Bench Press

set 1 75 , 55 at 8 54 am , set 2 26 kg 21 at 9 42 am , 25 at 11 41 am , 21 at 1 28 pm , 21 at 2 14 pm , 

Coc # 2 6 reps at 8 56 am , 4 reps at 9 07 am , 2 reps at 9 09 am , 2 reps and third was 4 mm away at 9 15 am , 1 rep and second was 4 mm away at 9 22 am , 1 rep at 9 25 am , 3 reps at 9 46 am , 2 reps and third was 4 mm away at 9 51 am , 21 times closed so far , 3 reps and fourth was 9 mm away at 9 59 am , 1 rep at 10 05 am , 1 rep at 10 15 am , 1 rep at 10 22 am , 1 rep at 10 39 am , 3 reps and fourth was 4 mm away at 11 43 am , 3 reps at 11 48 am , 34 x closed so far , 3 reps at 11 58 am , 1 rep and second was 9 mm away at 12 04 pm , 2 reps at 12 24 pm , 7 mm away at 12 25 pm , 2 reps at 12 32 pm , 3 reps at 12 38 pm , 45 times closed so far , 9 mm away at 12 45 pm , 1 rep at 12 49 pm , 1 rep at 12 51 pm , 4 reps at 1 31 pm , 3 reps and fourth was 4 mm away at 1 44 pm , 54 times closed so far , 2 reps and third was 4 mm away at 1 47 pm , 2 mm away at 1 53 pm , 2 mm away at 1 54 pm , 1 rep at 1 59 pm , feel weak and fatigued , 1 rep at 2 06 pm , 58 times closed so far , 1 rep at 2 09 pm , 3 reps at 2 17 pm , 3 reps at 2 25 pm , 65 times closed so far , 67 reps at 2 39 pm , 4 mm away at 2 42 pm , 1 rep at 2 49 pm , 1 rep at 2 54 pm , 69 total so far , 

Feb 1

Coc 2 , closed without chalk , without warmup , sitting down at 7 16 am , almost 6 reps on video , left hand 5 mm away at 10 36 am , almost 6 reps at 10 50 am , left hand 5 mm away at 10 51 am , 1 rep at 10 56 am , 1 rep at 10 56 am , left hand 7 mm away at 10 57 am , almost 6 reps on video at 1 41 pm , left hand 5 mm away at 1 43 pm , almost 7 reps at 1 56 pm , 5 reps at 2 26 pm , 7 reps at 2 40 pm , 6 reps at 2 59 pm , 5 reps and sixth was 7 mm away at 4 05 pm , 51 reps so far , 6 reps at 4 20 pm , 57 reps so far , 6 reps at 4 37 pm , 6 reps at 4 53 pm , 

Never seen anyone train like this, but aren't you doing the exact same style workout that gave you tendonitis to begin with?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EmilBB said:

Never seen anyone train like this, but aren't you doing the exact same style workout that gave you tendonitis to begin with?

It's a similar workout but not exactly the same. I'm stronger now so I can do 5 plus reps per set so it doesn't faze me as much. I also am warming up frequently before sets to ensure injury prevention and off course taking longer breaks of on average 15 minutes between sets. I've got no pain after this workout but I will take a week rest off with the coc 2 and the high reps

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alan_fra said:

Oct 29 

Bench Press

Feb 1

Yikes

• Haha 1