Forearm/wrist/hand Functions And Exercises

ianders1

As many of you know, I am not trying to close the #3 (yet) or compete in any strongman competitions. I am trying to get healthy, pain free hands. I've studied some medical texts and have mapped out the functions of the forearms/wrists/hands and I've mapped them out in a table along with the corresponding exercises. I would like some feedback, to get this right, in the hopes of using this to design a complete program. Here's the link:

Grip Table

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback.

I am new to the grip world, but IMO your effort was well done and thought provoking. The only thing that came to mind immediately as something to add was dexterity balls and related exercises.

Now that I think of it, you might also want to list some more specific exercises done with barbells/dumbells/etc., such as variations of the one-handed deadlift. Also, both of John Brookfield's books list many different exercises...but I do like the way you have organized your information. I am sure that this will be a "dynamic" and ongoing process in itself, because there are so many possible exercises.

I'm glad that you like it and think I'm doing something useful. Maybe once it's sorted out, Wanna can post it in the FAQ. I added the dexterity balls, thick bar work, wrist roller, sand bags, finger walking, etc., and in the next few days I'm going to add little video clips to show exactly what the movement I'm describing is.

Eventually I'd like to identify which muscle groups are involved to see what if any overlap there may be. Wish me luck :)

Edited by ianders1

Good stuff ...I tried to do something like this myself once... didn't get this far :)

Some things that could be added, if ya like...

Finger Adduction (Pull Together) - I'm gathering this is in a "claw" type position? ...hub lifts are like this, but only with the end finger joint... shot-put/baseball lifts are too, but with all the finger joints.

Straight Finger Flexion (Finger to Palm) - I think there's 2 very different types of pinch... not just pinching using the thumb, but also "crimping" where the fingers and the palm are used to pinch instead. With crimping the thumb can either be doing nothing, or on thinner pinches it can be wrapped around the first 1-2 fingers.

Cheers!

Very informative! It definitely gives ideas for putting together an all encompassing grip routine.

I'm glad you guys like what I'm trying to put together. I'll add the hub lift stuff tonight, and try to get some other stuff too.

I didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday because I had to work and then the games were on...

Thanks for the feedback, though, and I'll post here again when I update it.

Just a thought...perhaps someone on the board with exceptional muscle control could "model" some of the muscles of the hand/wrist/forearm. Brookfield said in MOHS that the ability to individually flex and control each muscle in the hand was the "pinnacle" of hand strength, if I remember correctly. For those of us not so far along, it would be helpful to see the external muscle(s) affected by a particular exercise in a photograph rather than an abstract, cross-sectional, anatomical illustration.

In about 3 months of somewhat haphazard training my hands already look considerably different, but it would still be nice to know what I should be striving for...if indeed function follows form. In retrospect, I wish I'd have taken a "before" photo of my hands and forearms.

Edited by odin

Sounds like a good idea, odin. Anybody who wants to "model" and has access to someone with a digital camera, let me know. I can do all the Photoshop work if someone gets nice photos to me. Just send me a PM.

Tonight, I'm going to try to get some video clips (in Flash format for simplicity) of each motion to clarify the descriptions. We can go from there.

Ok, here's the video version - rough draft:

BEWARE, high bandwidth! 889k all told

Video Version

Will update exercises later....

Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by ianders1

ianders1,

Wow, that is a swell looking table you got there!!! Thanks for taking the time to create it, certainly worthy of getting pinned on the faq section imho :rock

Jon@han

Wow! I am amazed! Even though it may be a work in progress, it is spectacular! THANKS! I will echo Johnathan's sentiments on it being a part of the FAQ. In fact, perhaps you should sell it. :bow

I would offer to pose for the hand model shots, but I only have one big muscle in my hand, next to my thumb, it is evident when I lay my palm on a flat surface...but I'm sure there are others with a monstorous muscle there.

Edited by odin

Thanks for the support guys, and I'm glad that you like what I've done so far. As you probably guessed, the hairy and not very defined forearms and hand are mine. They'll have to do for now. I'm going to try to make it a little better over the next few days, but thanks again for the comments.

that table you made is very good but all the muscles in the forearm work more in sinergy than individually so it is more important to make exercices that are used on the every day basis. a good thing that i am doing is trainning the ulnar derivation, radial derivation and prono-supination with a 4 kilos pole so it isn`t just "heavy" but also hard to maintain the grip and to keep the balance of the hole movement so it improves the neuromuscular system.

:blush