What Should I Avoid?

anson

i'm just starting out- been at it a month- and my goal is to close the #3. most of my routine involves the grippers, sledge leveraging, and some hex block lifting. i've read some post from guys who've said heavy bending takes away from crushing strength. my question is: are there specific grip exercises that can decrease my ability to close the grippers? i want to aviod these because my goal is to close the 3, then move on to start bending.

It depends on your deadline for certification....If you want to certify as fast as possible, get KTA and focus solely on grippers. If you are less interested in a quick certification, (or like me have trouble prioritizing goals) pursue a more all around grip routine and let certification come when it comes.

I am not bashing a gripper specialization, just voicing a general observation of two approaches to gripping. My guess is that over 10 years you'll end up in nearly the same spot(from a total hand pont of view). It'll just take an all arounder longer to certify on each specific feat. It's also entirely possible that you are a person who must specialize to progress...You'll have to experiment and find out.

Good luck!

I agree it all depends on your goal for when you want to be certified.

The sooner you want it, the more you should specialize in crush. Thats just my opinion though.

I should also say though I am aware that there is a good amount of people who certified by spreading themselves rather thin (concerning grippers). They maybe would do pinch workouts or bending in addition to doing gripper work just like once or twice a week.

How fast you progress has alot to do with your genetics for how fast your hands strength will adapt and strengthen. Thats what I believe.

Even those who are gifted won't reach max potential in various feats without some specialization. Just my opinion.

hey, thanks for all the info guys! i do want to close the #3 sooner instead of later, so i'm gonna focus on the grippers now. i'm still waiting for my #3 to come in the mail............oh what fun!

Anson, work your pinch as frequently and as hard as the grippers, for maximum gripper progress. This will help you with the setting of the gripper, as well as enable you to maintain proper gripper position.

Keep us updated, and go get it!

Eric, is block lifting the hex heads a good pinch workout or do i need to have my hand in a more closed position like pinching plates? the trouble with plates is that i have these new Marcy Grip O. plates that have no smooth side.

I think just about any type of pinching would serve our purpose. Using a spring clamp for a dynamic pinch workout is another option.