People who train Pronation, do you also train Supination?

mcalpine1986

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with your questions or anyone’s answers.

Thanks man. 

It's always interesting to me to hear others thoughts on Training.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Maybe my question was too simplistic but i was I simply curious as to whether others train Supination at all. I'm new to Pronation training and have done very little supination at all.

I got the information I was looking for if people train it at all. I Wasn't wanting any advice or how I should train, I just like reading others thoughts on the matter as out curiousity and anything I learn is a bonus.

I just like to discuss training and grip training is so niche. No one else in my gym is into grip training so to me the Gripboard is a very valuable place where us Gripsters can discuss training and other matters. 

It can be quiet on here so any discussion going is ok by me.

I've only trained Supination twice now but I think I shall keep doing it as it made my elbows feel great and it can only be good for balance since I'm training Pronation now.

Keep the questions coming, otherwise I have nothing to read on here 😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Keep the questions coming, otherwise I have nothing to read on here 😁

This isn't the case here because it was/is a great discussion.

But....Great ideas can even come out of stupidest of questions... Plant a seed and get people talking.. Never know whats gonna come of it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This isn't the case here because it was/is a great discussion.

But....Great ideas can even come out of stupidest of questions... Plant a seed and get people talking.. Never know whats gonna come of it. 

100% agree. If we can't ask grip related questions on a grip forum, then where should we do it? I think most questions on here are valid because grip is such a niche sport and this is the only place I know to talk about grip and get advice, so it's the best place to ask questions at least for me.

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 2

I guess I still subconsciously perceive gripboard as a collection of grip academics. In robes and white wigs. Therefore, any message that does not contain information about some fundamental element of training is disappointing. But this is a problem of my expectations, not of these messages and the people who make them... As for your observations of the condition elbows and forearm muscles - there is a rational grain in this. Due to the complexity of the anatomical structure, a large number of muscles and a large amplitude of rotation (pronation and supination), many muscles in certain positions perform roles that at first seem not peculiar to them. For example, a brachyradialis from an extremely supinated position will pronate the arm to neutral, and from an extremely pronated position it will supinated to neutral. Wrist extensors bend the arm at the elbow joint due to their attachment to the ulna. The elbow flexor is one of the strongest muscles of the forearm, also involved in the beginning of supination from an extreme pronation position.... This all leads to the fact that by adding new and unusual exercises, you force your muscles to include new muscle fibers that have not worked before. New areas of tendons and ligaments of the elbow joint and wrist. In the short term, this leads to an improvement in blood supply and the removal of muscle hypertone. And in the long run, it will increase the number of actively used muscle fibers in all movements, improve the overall innervation of muscles and your control over them. It will increase the number of fibers in the tendons that carry the load and reduce the risk of injury...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

100% agree. If we can't ask grip related questions on a grip forum, then where should we do it? I think most questions on here are valid because grip is such a niche sport and this is the only place I know to talk about grip and get advice, so it's the best place to ask questions at least for me.

And I think I answered the question properly.

I’m not Bill Nye The Science guy, you’re not gonna get a scientific breakdown on how a  lift benefits me. 

I train them just to balance everything and I’ve noticed my wrists and elbows feeling more stable. The weight lifted is irrelevant as long as someone is getting stronger every week.

Things like holding nail guns and drilling through concrete or using holesaws at work. Not that it was an issue before or a goal but I feel much stronger and more in control of tools now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

And I think I answered the question properly.

I’m not Bill Nye The Science guy, you’re not gonna get a scientific breakdown on how a  lift benefits me. 

I train them just to balance everything and I’ve noticed my wrists and elbows feeling more stable. The weight lifted is irrelevant as long as someone is getting stronger every week.

Things like holding nail guns and drilling through concrete or using holesaws at work. Not that it was an issue before or a goal but I feel much stronger and more in control of tools now.

Totally the same here, I'm just an idiot trying to learn. (not saying you're an idiot too but I am for sure)😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Totally the same here, I'm just an idiot trying to learn. (not saying you're an idiot too but I am for sure)😆

I’ll drink to that 🤣🍻

I’ll even use my pronation to pour the beer

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

I guess I still subconsciously perceive gripboard as a collection of grip academics. In robes and white wigs. Therefore, any message that does not contain information about some fundamental element of training is disappointing. But this is a problem of my expectations, not of these messages and the people who make them... As for your observations of the condition elbows and forearm muscles - there is a rational grain in this. Due to the complexity of the anatomical structure, a large number of muscles and a large amplitude of rotation (pronation and supination), many muscles in certain positions perform roles that at first seem not peculiar to them. For example, a brachyradialis from an extremely supinated position will pronate the arm to neutral, and from an extremely pronated position it will supinated to neutral. Wrist extensors bend the arm at the elbow joint due to their attachment to the ulna. The elbow flexor is one of the strongest muscles of the forearm, also involved in the beginning of supination from an extreme pronation position.... This all leads to the fact that by adding new and unusual exercises, you force your muscles to include new muscle fibers that have not worked before. New areas of tendons and ligaments of the elbow joint and wrist. In the short term, this leads to an improvement in blood supply and the removal of muscle hypertone. And in the long run, it will increase the number of actively used muscle fibers in all movements, improve the overall innervation of muscles and your control over them. It will increase the number of fibers in the tendons that carry the load and reduce the risk of injury...

Just remember some of us are very new to the sport, we're just trying to learn and become better. For example I can't just go ask questions to someone who's more experienced in my country, because I don't know anyone from my country who does grip. So I have to go on here to learn and ask the questions I might have, I try to do my research first but if I can't find my answer then I'll ask on here. You have probably seen these questions 100's of times, so I can understand why you're starting to get tired of it. 

• Like 2

Just now, EmilBB said:

Probably saw it. To be honest - that guy - "bomber" - he discourages me from coming here at all. I constantly have the feeling that he is drunk and just joking with me and everyone. So are his questions... are not "original" for an adult who has some achievements in this sport. So if I missed your questions and could have said something to them but didn't - accept my apologies! Maybe I'll have a chance to improve, if you will need this...

Thanks man. 

It's always interesting to me to hear others thoughts on Training.

100% can confirm the GripBoard is ABSOLUTELY for discussion like this. 

Come one, come all, let’s talk about grip. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

You have probably seen these questions 100's of times, so I can understand why you're starting to get tired of it. 

This is part of the deal though, IMO. We need all newcomers in order to keep this thing viable. Everyone should ask any questions.

If you are a long-timer and feel like a question has been covered before, then help search it up and provide the link. Sometimes it is not that easy. I pretty much exclusively use Google to search the board because the board’s search feature is kind of rough. You actually get too many broad results. But the Google functionality to search a single website works extremely well. 

This is one of the main ways that I feel a long-timer can be an asset. There’s an opportunity to have recall on who participated in the original conversations, the keywords they used, and context that would allow the topics to be searched up at all. 

Everyone is new at some point :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Good points regarding the anatomical aspects of it. I indirectly get supination work in curls and weight rope pullups which my arm are free to rotate but I have just started direct supination work. 

26 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Probably saw it. To be honest - that guy - "bomber" - he discourages me from coming here at all. I constantly have the feeling that he is drunk and just joking with me and everyone. So are his questions... are not "original" for an adult who has some achievements in this sport. So if I missed your questions and could have said something to them but didn't - accept my apologies! Maybe I'll have a chance to improve, if you will need this...

I'm not sure who you mean by This bomber/spammer but it doesn't matter tbh. Whoever it is, just ignore it and dont waste any time or Energy on him if it bothers you so much. Life is too short to be getting bothered over such little things like that. 

There is no need to apologise at all.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

100% can confirm the GripBoard is ABSOLUTELY for discussion like this. 

Come one, come all, let’s talk about grip. 

Hear hear. 

Yes and the more the merrier in my eyes, grip is so niche but at least slowly growing. So any discussion or topics posted is all good.

I've been on here since 2009 and it's been great to see many newcomers in the past few years, with hopefully many more to come.

It would be good to see more questions posted and discussions. It's good to talk training and you can always learn new things.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

I imagine I have more years training than anyone else on here - not that it gives me more knowledge because it certainly does not - what it does mean is that I have tried a whole lot of different training ideas - more than most perhaps.  I am a voracious reader of all sorts of strength - health and fitness books and articles.   I try to remember that questions that I have seen dozens of times on here are brand new to many who just started their strength journey.  Sometimes when I read a post I have to remind myself most people do not have the decades in the game that I have.  But I learn things everyday on here - often the seemingly most simplistic of questions leads to a discussion where I learn something new from the newest of board members - questions I might never think to ask often lead to the learning of new and valuable knowledge.  One of my theories is that EVERY muscle in ones body should be strengthened "in proportion" to all others.  Imbalances cause injuries even though sometimes they do increase performance.    I just read this over and it makes me sound like a know it all - I apologize for that.  There are many here with better education in the field.  Learn from the mistakes of others - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I imagine I have more years training than anyone else on here - not that it gives me more knowledge because it certainly does not - what it does mean is that I have tried a whole lot of different training ideas - more than most perhaps.  I am a voracious reader of all sorts of strength - health and fitness books and articles.   I try to remember that questions that I have seen dozens of times on here are brand new to many who just started their strength journey.  Sometimes when I read a post I have to remind myself most people do not have the decades in the game that I have.  But I learn things everyday on here - often the seemingly most simplistic of questions leads to a discussion where I learn something new from the newest of board members - questions I might never think to ask often lead to the learning of new and valuable knowledge.  One of my theories is that EVERY muscle in ones body should be strengthened "in proportion" to all others.  Imbalances cause injuries even though sometimes they do increase performance.    I just read this over and it makes me sound like a know it all - I apologize for that.  There are many here with better education in the field.  Learn from the mistakes of others - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Great post.

I agree with what you are saying, you can always learn new things from others that's why it's good to discuss training on here. 

Don't apologise as it doesn't come across that way, I know you are older than me and have been training longer but you can always learn from people who have been training longer than yourself as chances are they have tried it and you can learn from that. 

I've been training for 25 years now, once I caught the iron bug I never looked back, it's my passion and it's still like an obsession to this day.

25 years will be no doubt less than you but it's still a long time to have trailed many different training methods. I have various fitness and nutrition based qualifications, I have a library of books I've read and I'm constantly reading new studies and things about training so I like to think of myself as well versed in training yet I don't think of myself as better educated on the matter than any others. We can all learn from others no what their training background.

To me knowledge is gold, so it's best to keep learning, especially in regards to training and despite the saying you can always teach an old dog new tricks. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great post.

I agree with what you are saying, you can always learn new things from others that's why it's good to discuss training on here. 

Don't apologise as it doesn't come across that way, I know you are older than me and have been training longer but you can always learn from people who have been training longer than yourself as chances are they have tried it and you can learn from that. 

I've been training for 25 years now, once I caught the iron bug I never looked back, it's my passion and it's still like an obsession to this day.

25 years will be no doubt less than you but it's still a long time to have trailed many different training methods. I have various fitness and nutrition based qualifications, I have a library of books I've read and I'm constantly reading new studies and things about training so I like to think of myself as well versed in training yet I don't think of myself as better educated on the matter than any others. We can all learn from others no what their training background.

To me knowledge is gold, so it's best to keep learning, especially in regards to training and despite the saying you can always teach an old dog new tricks. 

I started training in 1959 at age 11 - have never quit - so it's been a while now LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I started training in 1959 at age 11 - have never quit - so it's been a while now LOL

Wow man, that is some going. It's awesome you are still going strong after nearly 65 years.

Edited by mcalpine1986

• 2 months later...

Yes, train both.  love these exercise, really helped my elbow.  Train em heavy and usally do some every training session.  If you train one, you should train the other, gota keep balance. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:48 AM, Jacob said:

Yes, train both.  love these exercise, really helped my elbow.  Train em heavy and usally do some every training session.  If you train one, you should train the other, gota keep balance. 

yes.. Still not training them heavy but i should...  I've actually added them with a sledgehammer into my routine and still doing light holds with my levertop.

But a couple nights a week with my little 5lbs indian clubs... a high rep set of pronation and supination feels so good yet sorta hurts.. Almost like getting a teeth cleaning.