People who train Pronation, do you also train Supination?

mcalpine1986

Yes but with much lower weights and frequency/intensity, if you start loading the supination too heavily the biceps just kick in really hard and then all you are doing is mostly working out the bicep.

i just try and get the strain going in the supinator and wrist extensors, i use a long lever and put myself in a position where the ability of the bicep to contract is minimal(arm slightly extended, actively driving into my support to deactivate elbow flexion)

The only reason to really work out heavy supination is for armwrestling where it's an active movement pattern you want to develop, then i would just do whatever devon does with a low cup multispiner and focusing on supinating during the cuping motion

Edited by Apneaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess it depends on your goals.  I train both but right now its just for balancing out. Not trying to set records with either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Apneaa said:

Yes but with much lower weights and frequency/intensity, if you start loading the supination too heavily the biceps just kick in really hard and then all you are doing is mostly working out the bicep.

i just try and get the strain going in the supinator and wrist extensors, i use a long lever and put myself in a position where the ability of the bicep to contract is minimal(arm slightly extended, actively driving into my support to deactivate elbow flexion)

The only reason to really work out heavy supination is for armwrestling where it's an active movement pattern you want to develop, then i would just do whatever devon does with a low cup multispiner and focusing on supinating during the cuping motion

Id agree it's probably best to try and keep the biceps from taking over. 

I started training pronation about 2 months ago but zero supination, I'm not worried about any imbalances or anything issues developing as I get a lot of supination when I train my rope pullups, my arms twist in a supination motion there. 

I have in the past week trained direct supination though strict using a cable machine and it felt pretty good. 

I'm just more interested in people's thoughts on it as I love to discuss training and see how others like to train out of curiousity as you can always learn things even after training for 25 years. 

Meant to say.. I’ve noticed some major  benefits just from doing pronation and supination with the Levertop. Just once a week.

Nothing aggressive. Just add .5lbs a week or so to them, 3 sets of 10 second holds. It’s added size to my forearms and some lifts feel more stable. Even stuff at work is easier.

And cleaning my cast iron pans have never been so easy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Meant to say.. I’ve noticed some major  benefits just from doing pronation and supination with the Levertop. Just once a week.

Nothing aggressive. Just add .5lbs a week or so to them, 3 sets of 10 second holds. It’s added size to my forearms and some lifts feel more stable. Even stuff at work is easier.

And cleaning my cast iron pans have never been so easy. 

Awesome, that's great to hear man. 

It's great when you notice grip strength helping out in day to day life and everyone wants more forearm size. 

I've been really enjoying the pronation myself. My pronator muscles have grown  and it's really built my thumb pads up.

I've only done supination twice now but it feels good for your elbows. 

• Thanks 1

You don't need to focus much on supination since the bicep is such a powerful supinator that is likely already being trained. But for balance reasons everybody should at least do a little bit of training for the 6 main wrist movements: flexion, extension, radial deviation, ulnar deviation, pronation and supination. Too many people are solely focused on flexion and that will increase injury risk over time and limit your overall strength

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

everyone wants more forearm size.

well ...

29 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

You don't need to focus much on supination since the bicep is such a powerful supinator that is likely already being trained. But for balance reasons everybody should at least do a little bit of training for the 6 main wrist movements: flexion, extension, radial deviation, ulnar deviation, pronation and supination. Too many people are solely focused on flexion and that will increase injury risk over time and limit your overall strength

Agreed the supinators will get hit with normal bicep work. I started training pronation lifts 2 months ago but I think I get enough supination work with my Rope pullups. 

That said I've just started a supination move with a strap attached to a cable tower at the gym, I brace my arm against an upright bench so it's strict and supination away. Just for 4 sets of 25 light with 15-20kg. It feels good and it really pumps my forearms up.

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

😂 Are you saying you don't? 

Can't speak for Vinnie, but I don't. I literally only care about strength, athletic performance and health and pay no attention to any cosmetic changes that may or may not happen

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

😂 Are you saying you don't? 

I focus on wanting more where I'm lacking.  My forearms are not my weakest link.  I have small shoulders, back and neck -- and with really big forearms, and decent biceps, I look a little off without big back and neck.  So not complaining about the good fortune of having nice forearms, but I wouldn't wish for them to be bigger unless other parts were bigger first lol.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Can't speak for Vinnie, but I don't. I literally only care about strength, athletic performance and health and pay no attention to any cosmetic changes that may or may not happen

I'm not primarily interested in cosmetics either, but if I were, it wouldn't be forearms foremost in my mind.

15 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I focus on wanting more where I'm lacking.  My forearms are not my weakest link.  I have small shoulders, back and neck -- and with really big forearms, and decent biceps, I look a little off without big back and neck.  So not complaining about the good fortune of having nice forearms, but I wouldn't wish for them to be bigger unless other parts were bigger first lol.

Fair play man, I'd just say most men would want bigger arms. Especially forearms. Personally I want to look like Popeye once he has ate some spinach 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I hear you, not every one wants bigger muscles but I'd say most men do. 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Over head press, Vinnie. That will solve the the traps and upper body imbalance.  Even my neck size went up.

• Like 3

I do love having big forearms, feel good you know. 🙂

i dont really care about being built or anything, just forearms

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Apneaa said:

I do love having big forearms, feel good you know. 🙂

i dont really care about being built or anything, just forearms

Same here, it's a cool look. Also the chances are that bigger forearms will be stronger forearms. If you train your grip whilst gaining forearm size they are going to be stronger.

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Same here, it's a cool look. Also the chances are that bigger forearms will be stronger forearms. If you train your grip whilst gaining forearm size they are going to be stronger.

More muscle to adapt is going to lead to stronger muscle down the line, Many people get this principle twisted but thats the long and short of it

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

More muscle to adapt is going to lead to stronger muscle down the line, Many people get this principle twisted but thats the long and short of it

That's true, Agreed 👍

• Like 1

It seems to me that many people have been taking the easy way lately. By asking "ill-considered" questions. To which it is simply impossible to give, not only correct answer.. Can't just give ONE answer. There is already one fan of bombing spam on the forum, like "how many reps should I close gripper for have progress?"... and this discussion about pronator and supinator is just as vague and does not have one answer for a number of reasons too. The first reason is that pronator training (pronatorS - since there are two of them) and pronation training, as well as supinator training and supination training are not the same thing. Both from the point of view of the choice of exercises, and from the point of view of the selection of intensity in the form of attempts, weights and reps. The training of individual muscles (muscle groups) and the training of certain movements have different goals and give different results, respectively... Just like static finger flexor training and rotating handle lifting training are not the same thing... And the second is that when training anything, a person must clearly understand what he wants to achieve. His goal will determine the choice of means to achieve it... If there is no specific goal, then of course you can train some muscles simply because they are in the body in order to observe feng shui and enjoy the process...

12 hours ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

It seems to me that many people have been taking the easy way lately. By asking "ill-considered" questions. To which it is simply impossible to give, not only correct answer.. Can't just give ONE answer. There is already one fan of bombing spam on the forum, like "how many reps should I close gripper for have progress?"... and this discussion about pronator and supinator is just as vague and does not have one answer for a number of reasons too. The first reason is that pronator training (pronatorS - since there are two of them) and pronation training, as well as supinator training and supination training are not the same thing. Both from the point of view of the choice of exercises, and from the point of view of the selection of intensity in the form of attempts, weights and reps. The training of individual muscles (muscle groups) and the training of certain movements have different goals and give different results, respectively... Just like static finger flexor training and rotating handle lifting training are not the same thing... And the second is that when training anything, a person must clearly understand what he wants to achieve. His goal will determine the choice of means to achieve it... If there is no specific goal, then of course you can train some muscles simply because they are in the body in order to observe feng shui and enjoy the process...

I was simply curious about how others trained hoping to get a training discussion going.

I'm not asking for advice or one answer, of course there is no one correct way to train, everyone must work out what works for them. I was just curious if others train Supination.

I'm not "bombing spam" as you put it, I've been on this forum for nearly 15 years and rarely post a question on here. 

It's not like there is tonnes of activity on this main forum so if others like to ask questions, so be it. If you don't like mine or others questions or posts, why comment with a condescending tone. Just ignore it.

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Where did you read that it is you who are "bombing spam"? I wrote that a lot of posts are formulated in such a way that it is difficult to take part in their discussion. And yes - there are people whose main product of life is spam. Forum is a small ecological system, so someone has to fulfill this role as well. It's not that I have any answers (even if I have them), but that I would also like to learn something new. And not just that someone is training something. Several people wrote in the topic. The essence of their answers corresponds to the first post. You wrote it right - you just asked if someone trains these muscles/movements. People wrote that they train. What? How and why? What results are obtained (measured in kilograms or centimeters or tournament wins or personal achievements)? All this was left behind the scenes. What information did you get from this? I didn't get any new one. Don't take my answer as a personal insult or an attempt to humiliate you in some way. I just still don't think I know EVERYTHING. And I remain hungry for new knowledge. Rather, I wanted to express regret that no one shared anything, and not some kind of neglect...

25 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Where did you read that it is you who are "bombing spam"? I wrote that a lot of posts are formulated in such a way that it is difficult to take part in their discussion. And yes - there are people whose main product of life is spam. Forum is a small ecological system, so someone has to fulfill this role as well. It's not that I have any answers (even if I have them), but that I would also like to learn something new. And not just that someone is training something. Several people wrote in the topic. The essence of their answers corresponds to the first post. You wrote it right - you just asked if someone trains these muscles/movements. People wrote that they train. What? How and why? What results are obtained (measured in kilograms or centimeters or tournament wins or personal achievements)? All this was left behind the scenes. What information did you get from this? I didn't get any new one. Don't take my answer as a personal insult or an attempt to humiliate you in some way. I just still don't think I know EVERYTHING. And I remain hungry for new knowledge. Rather, I wanted to express regret that no one shared anything, and not some kind of neglect...

Maybe my question was too simplistic but i was I simply curious as to whether others train Supination at all. I'm new to Pronation training and have done very little supination at all.

I got the information I was looking for if people train it at all. I Wasn't wanting any advice or how I should train, I just like reading others thoughts on the matter as out curiousity and anything I learn is a bonus.

I just like to discuss training and grip training is so niche. No one else in my gym is into grip training so to me the Gripboard is a very valuable place where us Gripsters can discuss training and other matters. 

It can be quiet on here so any discussion going is ok by me.

I've only trained Supination twice now but I think I shall keep doing it as it made my elbows feel great and it can only be good for balance since I'm training Pronation now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Maybe my question was too simplistic but i was I simply curious as to whether others train Supination at all. I'm new to Pronation training and have done very little supination at all.

I got the information I was looking for if people train it at all. I Wasn't wanting any advice or how I should train, I just like reading others thoughts on the matter as out curiousity and anything I learn is a bonus.

I just like to discuss training and grip training is so niche. No one else in my gym is into grip training so to me the Gripboard is a very valuable place where us Gripsters can discuss training and other matters. 

It can be quiet on here so any discussion going is ok by me.

I've only trained Supination twice now but I think I shall keep doing it as it made my elbows feel great and it can only be good for balance since I'm training Pronation now.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your questions or anyone’s answers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1