Choker

John Knowlton

Thanks again @dubyagrip I ended up unscrewing the heims at the end of the handles a few turns and re-tightened the jam nut, no need to add additional nuts.  It moves the rig out just enough to increase the comfort

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

Thanks again @dubyagrip I ended up unscrewing the heims at the end of the handles a few turns and re-tightened the jam nut, no need to add additional nuts.  It moves the rig out just enough to increase the comfort

Even better!

22 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

You can also make them slightly uneven which can affect the “ride” at different choker widths. Just play around with the settings and it should work smooth at any setting. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So just messing around I took my 2.5 Captains of crush gripper with an RGC rating of 127.8 And put a choker attachment on it.

After ordering all the parts that I needed to make this happen, the actual labor involved was less than an hour. The hardest part about this was drilling into the gripper handles. Made me a little nervous. All in all it turned out pretty good ,better than I thought.

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

So just messing around I took my 2.5 Captains of crush gripper with an RGC rating of 127.8 And put a choker attachment on it.

After ordering all the parts that I needed to make this happen, the actual labor involved was less than an hour. The hardest part about this was drilling into the gripper handles. Made me a little nervous. All in all it turned out pretty good ,better than I thought.

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

nice work and very professional looking John.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

nice work and very professional looking John.

Agreed!  Looks great, John!

20 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

This looks awesome! Great work! 

• Like 1

Way cool thanks guys, appreciate the compliments. I need to make one more for a friend . Because I’m happy with the way it came out. I can say this it was a fun little project to do. But all in all, it’s probably better and cheaper to go through Canonpowerworks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool thanks guys, appreciate the compliments. I need to make one more for a friend . Because I’m happy with the way it came out. I can say this it was a fun little project to do. But all in all, it’s probably better and cheaper to go through Canonpowerworks

Did you do the tapping by hand? How long did it take you? I think that’s the most laborous part.

Yes, that was the hardest part, drilling and tapping.

After Getting everything set up ,drilling and taping the holes probably took maybe 20 minutes.

Just out of curiosity, I re-rated the gripper.

About two years ago when I bought it I rated it at 127.8 today it rated at 122.4

• Like 4

Here they are together.

Turned out pretty good I think so

image.jpg

• Like 4

Great work John. Might be something I have to try for myself some day.

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

About two years ago when I bought it I rated it at 127.8 today it rated at 122.

Interesting. Do you know roughly how many reps you put on it during that time?

Not sure how many reps mostly use it for neg. But before I re rated it I put 50 reps on it.

• Like 1

We had three choices a thumb wheels and we pick this one just because of the thumb clearance .It does make a difference.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, John Knowlton said:

Yes, that was the hardest part, drilling and tapping.

After Getting everything set up ,drilling and taping the holes probably took maybe 20 minutes.

About two years ago when I bought it I rated it at 127.8 today it rated at 122.4

It looks great. When you say you re-rated it. Did you mean you rated it before the choker was added?

A 5lbs loss seems a lot in 2 years. Have you used this gripper for many reps? 

Edited by mcalpine1986

Yes, I rated it when I first bought it. I'm not sure how many reps are on it. It kind of got passed around between three different people. Personally, I used it for negatives. After drilling and tapping and putting it all together, I decided that I should  re rate it just to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Yes, I rated it when I first bought it. I'm not sure how many reps are on it. It kind of got passed around between three different people. Personally, I used it for negatives. After drilling and tapping and putting it all together, I decided that I should  re rate it just to see.

Thanks. So quite heavy use overall by the sound of it so the 5lbs makes more sense. I find the whole thing interesting how grippers can potentially lose a little strength over use and time. 

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

So quite heavy use overall by the sound of it so the 5lbs makes more sense. I find the whole thing interesting how grippers can potentially lose a little strength over use and time.

For sure. Some of this boils down to margin of error too. If your rating rig is not totally dialed in and you're performing frequent quality checks, any given rating will have some margin of error from strap placement, handle skew, and even your perception of when the gripper is "closed". It's possible for these two ratings that John's margin of error headed in opposite directions and exaggerated the change. I'm not saying this happened for sure, just food for thought. John might be really dialed in with his process and 5 lbs isn't crazy with lots of use. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is so true. The margin of error is really unknown. Right now when I rate a gripper, I use a crane scale and I touch the handles to a feeler gauge that is .004 and I'll do this 5+ times to make sure I get a consistent reading. My only real test is when I get a rated gripper from Cannon power Works, and check it in the rating in the device that I made, So far I'm pretty close. And that's OK for me. I definitely do not have the experience. And will probably never do this for money. just for fun and if I can help someone along the way that's great too.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Cannon said:

For sure. Some of this boils down to margin of error too. If your rating rig is not totally dialed in and you're performing frequent quality checks, any given rating will have some margin of error from strap placement, handle skew, and even your perception of when the gripper is "closed". It's possible for these two ratings that John's margin of error headed in opposite directions and exaggerated the change. I'm not saying this happened for sure, just food for thought. John might be really dialed in with his process and 5 lbs isn't crazy with lots of use. 

That makes sense and I did think of those variables although I'm sure John is consistent. For someone who rates grippers not that often, they would probably have a bigger margin of error each time compared to yourself who has rated 1000's and would have it down to an Art by now. I bet You could probably rate a gripper in your sleep 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That makes sense and I did think of those variables although I'm sure John is consistent.

Agree. And 5 lbs is not a huge swing at this level of gripper with moderate use over a couple of years. 

• Like 2