Choker

John Knowlton

Just ordered my first choker gripper.

148 choker Ironmind #3

I am supper thrilled , not sure how it will feel but I will take it for a ride.

any suggestions?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

148 choker Ironmind #3

any suggestions?

I really like my 136 Fe choker, since I can't set unchoked 137 🤣 I don't know how people can set heavier grippers and still have productive workouts.

Actually I'm thinking of modifying my unused CoC's to chokers, I wonder how hard it can be?

• Like 2

Not sure but can’t be that hard . Maybe just getting all the right hardware.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, martincerven said:

I really like my 136 Fe choker, since I can't set unchoked 137 🤣 I don't know how people can set heavier grippers and still have productive workouts.

Actually I'm thinking of modifying my unused CoC's to chokers, I wonder how hard it can be?

I've done it to 10 grippers, it's really not that hard. Just make sure you're drilling straight, so the choker hardware lines up correctly 😁

• Like 6

14 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

148 choker Ironmind #3

any suggestions?

Try it parallel and adjust from there. Where are you at with grippers now?

OK,  right now I can get a GHP #4 RGC 112

5 hours ago, EmilBB said:

I've done it to 10 grippers, it's really not that hard. Just make sure you're drilling straight, so the choker hardware lines up correctly 😁

Will do. Just waiting for

15 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Not sure but can’t be that hard . Maybe just getting all the right hardware.

right tools as John said 😀 Can you post photos how your chokers look versus CPW?

30 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

OK,  right now I can get a GHP #4 RGC 112

So your choker is 132% of your max....so the only real option right now is to attempt an absolute grinder of a rep, a lighter one would probably be more useful

• Like 2

yes you are right, I was thinking I would set it all most close and go from there? 

54 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Will do. Just waiting for

right tools as John said 😀 Can you post photos how your chokers look versus CPW?

Here's a few pictures: Choked gripper

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Here's a few pictures: Choked gripper

You got huge bearings 🫡 I got M6...I'll try it on some lighter grippers such as #2 and I'll see...hopefully it won't explode 😀 But I guess you also had thoughts like that since you put the bolt pads at the ends 😀

1 hour ago, martincerven said:

You got huge bearings 🫡 I got M6...I'll try it on some lighter grippers such as #2 and I'll see...hopefully it won't explode 😀 But I guess you also had thoughts like that since you put the bolt pads at the ends 😀

Mine are also M6, I did have one explode on me but it was because I bought cheap heim joints from amazon. That's why I put washers on the ends, just to be a little more safe. But yeah, make sure you find some solid heim joints and avoid the cheap ones from amazon 😁

• Like 1

When I get the one from Cannon power works I will see how it go's together. 

then I will try to put one together with a lighter gripper

• Like 1

I own several of Cannon's choked grippers and i personally don't love that style of choking them, for anything #3 and below a nice hose clamp around the top of the handles works great.

It doesn't alter the gripper, and still allows my fingers all the freedom they need at the bottom of the handles. YMMV

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

I own several of Cannon's choked grippers and i personally don't love that style of choking them, for anything #3 and below a nice hose clamp around the top of the handles works great.

It doesn't alter the gripper, and still allows my fingers all the freedom they need at the bottom of the handles. YMMV

Have to agree. The style is good for a variety of widths but still feels like I’m using a smith machine gripper.

• Like 1

Add more nuts to the heim joint if your fingers crash into the rig.

• Like 3

I like both. I prefer CPW chokers for a wider set depth, and a hose clamp for a narrow set depth. It seems as though there is a little less tension happening at the bottom of the handles with a hose clamp, which makes something like a 10mm choked close feel more forgiving. At least to me personally, but it could be purely psychological.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jared P said:

I like both. I prefer CPW chokers for a wider set depth, and a hose clamp for a narrow set depth. It seems as though there is a little less tension happening at the bottom of the handles with a hose clamp, which makes something like a 10mm choked close feel more forgiving. At least to me personally, but it could be purely psychological.

No you're right hose clamp chokers are easier than CPW chokers because of where the choking is being done, it makes a difference. Hose clamp the force of the spring is being stopped just below the spring so the bottom of handles aren't under tension and are easier to accelerate from a dead stop. When the choking is done below the bottom of the handles, all length of the handles are under tension at rest and are much more difficult to accelerate from a dead stop. So the CPW choker will always be the better option for developing raw strength because they are harder 

• Like 4

makes sense

2 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

Add more nuts to the heim joint if your fingers crash into the rig.

not a bad idea, i haven't checked to see how deep the threads go into the handles i wouldn't want to cause a failure though

1 minute ago, liftyzig said:

makes sense

not a bad idea, i haven't checked to see how deep the threads go into the handles i wouldn't want to cause a failure though

There's plenty, in my opinion.  I've done it to all mine, my #4 feels just as sturdy.

• Like 3

So no one else has to take theirs apart.

Mine are all made by cpw

20231106_190805.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just came in the mail today.

I think I bitten off more than I can handle with this choker.

It gives me something to work up to.

the Hulk gripper is just for fun . 

image.jpg

• Like 8

I like for speed of close the washer idea but want a safer option have some ideas in my head. I just cannot get the bottom chocked option to feel nice in my hand. I did wonder if an extension on the end could be a better cheat. My John Brookfield gripper has screw in handles but it's steel and way too heavy for anyone to close without the handles on. The thread protrudes 1/2 inch and both sides of the extension are threaded with a grub screw joining the two sections.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Busa said:

I did wonder if an extension on the end could be a better cheat.

That’s actually an attachment we’ve been meaning to offer. I should get that back on the “to do” list. 

• Like 2