Finnish Ball

glenn_the_hunter

Would be interested to get the thoughts of the community on this one. 

Even though I trained it more each year (longer/heavier holds, bigger sessions, thousands of reps, etc.) my numbers got worse each King Kong 

2021 -  40.00   (this was a strong lift) 
2022 -  38.55  (this just scraped in)
2023 -  37.15    (this was the worst of the 3)

What went wrong with my Finnish Ball? Why/how does this happen in grip? 

Is this the type of implement that doesn't need that much direct work? and is more a reflection of your general pinch strength. 

• Like 1

Has the drop off happened in training as well, or has it just happened at comp?

I'd say part of it is likely mental.  You could be in your head too much about it.

It could also be maybe the seasoning of the ball has varied for the worse each year, which simply means you've been unlucky. 

If your training is suffering as well, I'd suggest stepping away from it.  You've likely developed some bad habit in your technique.  Take a break then return fresh to troubleshoot it.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 1

Training was fine in the lead up. Nothing too concerning, good singles, good holds. 

Maybe it was just all mental 🫠

Will be having a break for sure, I've got Finnish Ball fatigue. 

I'm also guessing that it's due to be swapped out for KK 2024, so let's see. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, glenn_the_hunter said:

Training was fine in the lead up. Nothing too concerning, good singles, good holds. 

Maybe it was just all mental 🫠

Will be having a break for sure, I've got Finnish Ball fatigue. 

I'm also guessing that it's due to be swapped out for KK 2024, so let's see. 

Would love if they did Inch Pinch instead!

• Like 1

That's a good question, you might be on to something 

I don't have the videos from 2022 or 2023 on hand, but 2021 was definitely a bent arm lift. 

Way back in about 2010, Adam Glass told me to pull these fiddly little key pinch lifts with a bent arm. Bent at the elbow and bent at the wrist. There was something about pulling the tendon across two corners makes it so your thumb couldn’t let go if it wanted to. It traps the tendon or something.

It works for me on the right side but not on the left. With a bent arm on the right, I pull about 15 pounds more on key pinch lifts. 

• Like 4

I try and bring in a lot of lat/shoulder as well, so my body is lifting/shrugging the weight. My hand/arm just need to hold on. 
(If that makes sense)

I'm only assuming my technique hadn't changed between years, I'll try and set up a side by side by side comparison

• Like 1

Looks like you are rowing it up now, instead of locking in and "standing up" with it.  As we all know it's a very technical lift, really dialing in the technique is critical.  It also feels like it needs a longer rest from the last time I did it versus other lifts.  (both the interval between attempts, and the interval between workouts as well)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

Looks like you are rowing it up now, instead of locking in and "standing up" with it.  As we all know it's a very technical lift, really dialing in the technique is critical.  It also feels like it needs a longer rest from the last time I did it versus other lifts.  (both the interval between attempts, and the interval between workouts as well)

These comments may be very helpful for me.  I don't expect to WOW anyone on this implement, but I have done notably WORSE on it in comparison to most of my other lifts.  In other words, people who I am usually close to on other lifts are WAY ahead of me on this one.  That's why I suspect technic is in play here.