2023 International King Kong Grip Challenge - REVISED RESULTS

Eric Roussin

5 minutes ago, sbogotopov said:

look, there will always be people who are jealous. I remember when I officially closed coc3, people immediately came up and demanded to cancel the result. Because I didn't swipe the card. OK, I talked to Randall, he allowed me to try again. I closed it without set, just swiped the card and closed it again. when I picked up Inch's replica (silarukov) and posted the video on the Internet, there were immediately people who began to say that it was fake,because I had never tried before. there will always be envious people. this is the nature of people. fortunately, not all people😉

You completely misunderstand.  No one envies the cheaters.  No one is jealous of them.  They despise them.  And we don't care whether they are stronger than us or not.   I am pretty sure that those three guys would beat me on blockbuster without cheating.  I don't mind that at all.  Why would I be jealous?  The people who won the event legitimately also beat me, and I am not jealous.  Plenty of people do amazing things and we all congratulate them.  Just without cheating.  Your blind defense of them is perplexing.  You should be calling them out and distancing from them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You completely misunderstand.  No one envies the cheaters.  No one is jealous of them.  They despise them.  And we don't care whether they are stronger than us or not.   I am pretty sure that those three guys would beat me on blockbuster without cheating.  I don't mind that at all.  Why would I be jealous?  The people who won the event legitimately also beat me, and I am not jealous.  Plenty of people do amazing things and we all congratulate them.  Just without cheating.  Your blind defense of them is perplexing.  You should be calling them out and distancing from them.

I don't want to defense anyone! that would just be stupid. I'm saying that the results are quite likely.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sbogotopov said:

I don't want to defense anyone! that would just be stupid. I'm saying that the results are quite likely.

2021 - Ilia Makarov - 2.25” Crusher - 98.5 kg

2022 - Ilia Makarov - 2.25” Crusher - 95.04 kg

2023 - Ilia Makarov - 2.25” Crusher - 130.1 kg 

You're telling me you sincerely believe this is a likely strength progression? In a sport where world records are typically beaten 1 to 3 kg at a time you think a 35 kg jump is not only possible, but the likely outcome? If you truly believe this there's really nothing to discuss and you can't be convinced, you are outside of reality at this point

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

You're telling me you sincerely believe this is a likely strength progression? In a sport where world records are typically beaten 1 to 3 kg at a time you think a 35 kg jump is not only possible, but the likely outcome? If you truly believe this there's really nothing to discuss and you can't be convinced, you are outside of reality at this point

I'll tell you a secret! the fact is that there is not only a KK in the world. there are many competitions held in Russia. so, for example, WAF records. look what's here? there are Tyukalov, Makarov, Krivykh. Let's see what Tyukalov lifted in 2022? 115 kg. How many Tyukalov lifted on bear paw rolling? 101.5 kg. How many Kryvikh and Makarov were lifted? 104 and 107.5 respectively. By the way, Alexey is very strong. We draw an analogy. If 101.5 on the bear's paw corresponds to 115 on the crusher, then a simple proportion goes to the numbers 116 and 122 kg, respectively. But - these are the results of last year

рекорды роллинг.jpg

19 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Yeah, he is missing the point, too.  He thinks this is jealousy.  He doesn't realize that the concern here is integrity.  The crazy jump is not even the primary piece of evidence, although it is pretty compelling.  The visible yellow sticky stuff, the sound, the visual, and the attempt to pass lifts with unacceptable form (on some of the attempts) are what lead together to the conclusion of cheating.

And citing non-sanctioned comps where there is no proof required and cheating may be just as endemic as it was liberally done here, isn't the way to persuade anyone here.  Let them show us at a fair, sanctioned comp what they can do, and then it will be counted in OUR sport.  Lots of people are stronger than me, and lots of them are in Russia.  What does this have to do with jealousy?  I was 72nd.  I'll be in the middle either way.  I am not trying to stomp out my competition, and I don't care who wins.  I just want us all to play by the same rules.  Why is this even being argued about?

• Like 4

"And citing non-sanctioned comps where there is no proof required and cheating may be ...."

I think I'm beginning to understand what kind of audience is here

2 minutes ago, sbogotopov said:

"And citing non-sanctioned comps where there is no proof required and cheating may be ...."

One that cares about integrity, yes.  No, I don't know if the non-sanctioned comps are cheating.  I don't.  But they are in a different organization.  I don't know anything about them.  I am not relying on their results to justify these results, which are obviously invalid.

Edited by Vinnie

4 minutes ago, sbogotopov said:

Seriously:  we have direct evidence of cheating, so you point to OTHER competitions outside our organization, where the people we SEE cheating here did ALMOST (but still not quite) as well as here, and you say that because the cheaters did less somewhere else they must have done more here -- still not very persuasive.  We already know they were willing to cheat here, so it is hard to be sure they didn't cheat even before.  But those numbers were still less than here.  You are asking for a lot, when all you need to expect is for the cheaters to stop cheating.

That's what kind of audience you have here.

• Like 5

Lots of words, which aren't proof of anything. Here check out these results

2023 King Kong Joseph smith

Rolling thunder 176kg

A fantastic lift, if you don't believe my buddy Joe it's because you're just jealous, he's really strong he closed a coc 2 first try and has been training in secret and accidentally forgot to record his lift

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sbogotopov said:

I cant imagine defending cheaters

• Like 1

As per tradition, I'd like to recognize some of the competitors who had some huge lifts in King Kong relative to their bodyweight.

First, the women:

Women who lifted 75% or more of their bodyweight with the 2.25” Crusher:
Tammy McClure – 91%
Kravchenko Natalia – 86%
Emina Alic – 85%
Pirozhenko Miroslava – 77%
Shaolin-Rose Gawat – 76%
Sarah Tolledo – 76%
Anastasiiia Ivchenko – 76%
Corinne Lalonde – 75%

Women who lifted 35% or more of their bodyweight with the IronMind Pinch Block:
Tammy McClure – 45%
Kravchenko Natalia – 44%
Emina Alic – 35%
Anita Sääskö – 35%

Women who lifted 40% or more of their bodyweight with the Finnish Ball:
Tammy McClure – 51%
Kravchenko Natalia – 45%
Rachel Hartviksen – 44%
Emina Alic – 40%
Pirozhenko Miroslava – 40%

Women who lifted 85% or more of their bodyweight with the 2.5” Jug:
Tammy McClure – 103%
Emina Alic – 94%
Kravchenko Natalia – 92%
Anita Sääskö – 90%
Shaolin-Rose Gawat – 86%

Extra special congratulations to Tammy McClure, Kravchenko Natalia, and Emina Alic for surpassing all four of these thresholds!

And for the men:

Men who lifted 110% or more of their bodyweight with the 2.25” Crusher:
Carter Colleaux – 129%
Jesse Hagedorn – 126%
Ben Galper – 122%
Tom Denmeade – 119%
Will Fuggle – 119%
Melnik Roman – 116%
Devin Brown – 115%
Eric Roussin – 113%
Sergio Aguayo – 113%
Aaron Liu – 113%
Pupchenko Ivan – 110%
Isaac Pitt – 110%

Men who lifted 50% or more of their bodyweight with the IronMind Pinch Block:
Jesse Hagedorn – 57%
Carter Colleaux – 56%
Paliokha Vyacheslav – 52%
Clint Ziegler – 52%
Johannes Lampinen – 52%
Santeri Mikkonen – 51%
Tom Denmeade – 51%
Melnik Roman – 50%
Vakula Evgeniy – 50%

Men who lifted 50% or more of their bodyweight with the Finnish Ball:
Jesse Hagedorn – 55%
Samuel Pöyry – 55%
Johannes Lampinen – 52%
Matti Siikaluoma – 52%
Carter Colleaux – 51%
Niko Koskinen – 51%
Pupchenko Ivan – 50%

Men who lifted 140% or more of their bodyweight with the 2.5” Jug:
Melnik Roman – 159%
Vakula Evgeniy – 153%
Carter Colleaux – 149%
Isaac Pitt – 145%
Luke Raymond – 144%
Johannes Lampinen – 142%
Tom Denmeade – 141%

Extra special congratulations to Canada’s Carter Colleaux on being the only man to surpass all four of these thresholds!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts are with Eric when it comes this (frankly) outrageous situation.  For the sake of past and future grip competitions as well as the integrity of this one, the difficult AND right decision has been made.  Having said that, I would not like to be in your shoes Eric – no one ever said organizing a grip comp was a walk in the park. As if you didn’t have enough to deal with – it stinks that you have to attend to something like this. It really does.

I took the liberty of watching those clips before I started reading the comments. In the absence of course language I’m going to sum it up in one word: disgraceful.  I have several homemade pinch blocks made of RHS and a cannot remember ever having difficulty releasing them from my thumb or the joint webbing after an attempt/rep/set. Yeah, disgraceful is most certainly what it is. Maybe one day I’ll find it comical – but at the moment I’m quite sure that no one is laughing.

In the event that other local competitors had no knowledge or participation in such blatant cheating, you all have my sincere sympathy. It would absolutely suck to have trained diligently and brought your best to the table only to have your  efforts amount to nothing. I’d be absolutely gutted and more than a little angry.

As far as the local organizer of that local comp is concerned  . . . . .perhaps you need to take a long hard look at yourself and consider whether you’re capable and up to running a grip comp.  Enthusiasm only gets you so far.  Integrity, transparency, and competency make up the remaining majority of what it takes to run one. Seriously, did you even go over the rules with the competitors before the comp commenced or before each event was contested?

I’ve competed in several grip comps and co-organized one. What has occurred doesn’t sit well with me and I doubt anyone who has competed in or organized one would feel much different.

• Like 7

Its clear that Carter will be a force to be reckoned with, if he decides to stick to it!

• Like 3

Four points:

1. Another fine event, Eric!
2. How many contestants in the LA contest this year? I hope to participate next year.

3. Eric, do you know how many of the “over 50” contestants were over 60 this year? I am WAY over 60. When it gets to 10, consider adding a 60 plus group. My grip stuff began at Age 44, and strength kept increasing until age 58…
4. Sarah Chappelow. As far as I am concerned, your Crusher pull was the most remarkable feat of the contest.

There are a number of IronMind World Records that I believe you are capable of owning NOW. PM me if you want me to pitch you to Randy Strossen. Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

Four points:

2. How many contestants in the LA contest this year? I hope to participate next year.

3. Eric, do you know how many of the “over 50” contestants were over 60 this year? I am WAY over 60. When it gets to 10, consider adding a 60 plus group. My grip stuff began at Age 44, and strength kept increasing until age 58…
4. Sarah Chappelow. As far as I am concerned, your Crusher pull was the most remarkable feat of the contest.

There are a number of IronMind World Records that I believe you are capable of owning NOW. PM me if you want me to pitch you to Randy Strossen. Mike

Ditto on anything good said about Eric and Sarah.  Excellent athletes, kind people.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:45 PM, Hubgeezer said:

Four points:

Thanks, Mike. 12 competitors in LA this year. Of the "over 50" competitors, there were five men and two women over 60.

3 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Thanks, Mike. 12 competitors in LA this year. Of the "over 50" competitors, there were five men and two women over 60.

Thank you Eric. Still a lot farther away than I thought for a Medicare category😊

On 11/3/2023 at 4:32 PM, liftyzig said:

Its clear that Carter will be a force to be reckoned with, if he decides to stick to it!

I don't think too many will be reckoning with the likes of him.  He's already elite just breaking upon the scene.  Very impressive!

I didn't want to bother @Eric Roussin about his spreadsheet, so I made my own from the revised results.

Mainly I wanted to be able to have everything in one place (weight, lifts, 50+) and convert the lifts to pounds.

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm attaching my spreadsheet below...

King Kong Results - Men's 2023.xlsx

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

I didn't want to bother @Eric Roussin about his spreadsheet, so I made my own from the revised results.

Mainly I wanted to be able to have everything in one place (weight, lifts, 50+) and convert the lifts to pounds.

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm attaching my spreadsheet below...

King Kong Results - Men's 2023.xlsx 118.39 kB · 4 downloads

You didn't compete?  I think I just looked for your name from 1 to 182 up and down lol

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

You didn't compete?  I think I just looked for your name from 1 to 182 up and down lol

Yeah...I've never touched a finnish ball and vertical hold is my weakest lift (right behind pinch blocks) so I didn't like my chances.  🤔

Plus that was the weekend of our Cub Scout camping trip and I'm a Den Leader for my son's pack.  Kinda have to make those events to make sure the kids have a good experience...  😇

But I was still curious where I'd "need" to hit for some of these lifts, so I created this spreadsheet as a way for me to establish some grip goals for 2024.