What would you consider to be the Mr.Olympia of grip strength competition?

Guest DavidStrong

Guest DavidStrong

We all know the Mr.Olympia is the gold standard for being the best bodybuilder in the world. What competition or certification in your opinion is the equivalent for the world’s strongest man in terms of grip strength? Thanks! This should be interesting.

No question Derek (C8Myotome) is right about those two certifications being the apex in one sense, but they are both specifically hand gripper certifications, not overall grip strength.  I'm fine with leaving it at that because I am a gripper guy anyway, but just to be more complete, I would add that thick barbell lifts and pinch lifts are another two common "grip" lifts that you might not want to ignore if you are talking about grip strength generally.

I'm not sure if there is a single competition that can be said to best encapsulate OVERALL grip strength, because there are a few contenders for that spot (King Kong, the Arnold, and occasionally others that are not annual but have the most quintessential lifts) -- but no one annual competition necessarily always includes all of the most common grip movements.

Incidentally, the only person who has either of those two gripper certifications mentioned above (Carl Myerscough) has both of them, and I think he also holds the world record for the most widely contested thick barbell event (DOH axle) and pinch event (3-inch Saxon bar) as well.  But not all done at one competition or certification.

• Like 3

Depends what you mean by “strength.”  

Who is stronger?

a) 4’11” 150lbs gent who can lift 3x his weight.

b) 6’7” 300lbs gent to who can lift 2x his weight.

That’s why sports, including Olympia, have weight divisions but let’s not kid ourselves, people only remember the heavyweights. 

• Like 2

Those who believe that Gripper Strength is the be all and end all are bound to have their butts kicked in any contest they go too - LOL

• Like 4

Guest DavidStrong
3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Those who believe that Gripper Strength is the be all and end all are bound to have their butts kicked in any contest they go too - 

Simply asking opinions dude. No need to act like a 12 year old fake internet tough guy. 

15 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Those who believe that Gripper Strength is the be all and end all are bound to have their butts kicked in any contest they go too - LOL

Who said that gripper strength is the end all be all?

24 minutes ago, DavidStrong said:
29 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Those who believe that Gripper Strength is the be all and end all are bound to have their butts kicked in any contest they go too - 

Simply asking opinions dude. No need to act like a 12 year old fake internet tough guy. 

Expand  

I believe Cris is 70’s? I don’t think that’s where he is going with that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DavidStrong said:
36 minutes ago, climber511 said:

do you realize who your talking to dude?

Guest DavidStrong
Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

do you realize who your talking to dude?

An illiterate and entitled baby boomer who’s probably had one too many paint chips in his life?

@climber511 I answered about grippers because that's what I find most interesting, if you want to answer about other implements why not just answer about other implements instead of trying to pretend that I ever stated that being good at grippers means you will dominate every grip contest you go to. I never said anything about grip contests, or other grip implements. Lol sometimes I wonder why I use this website

Edited by C8Myotome

Inch Pinch, it is definitely Inch Pinch.

👑

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Guest DavidStrong
1 minute ago, dubyagrip said:

Inch Pinch, it is definitely Inch Pinch.

👑

Hmm that’s interesting. Tell me more. Why did you pick that one?

@C8Myotome  More and more I know that feeling. I just bite my tongue.

I think its very hard to class an event as the equivalent. Maybe if looking at Strongman competitions you could say King Kong. That Arnold thing they have looks more like an invite show so maybe it would be the same as The Night of the Champions for Body Building if that's still around.

As for certification cannot really see anything similar in the Bodybuilding world no one cares what they lift its more an end result. The Grip feats themselves have been posted about in many threads.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DavidStrong said:

Hmm that’s interesting. Tell me more. Why did you pick that one?

I hold the record.

• Haha 4

Reminder, the board does have rules.

1. This forum is about GRIP and all that is GRIP.  Therefore,  posts,  and signatures may not contain: profanity, flaming, personal attacks, nudity, spam, rants, debates, current news events, current news events controversies,  politics, political statements, negativity, fund-raisers, or advertisements.

Please take more than 3 second before hitting reply, if you don't like what another member has to say, block them or take it private.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidStrong said:

An illiterate and entitled baby boomer who’s probably had one too many paint chips in his life?

We can offer you context. Climber511 is a perennial promoter, competitor and master of the grip arts. As you get to know him better, you’ll find that grippers are not his favorite. They’re not for everyone. 

But I feel Chris’ answer is relevant to the original question “What contest or certification do you consider the equivalent of World’s Strongest Man?”

If you’re focusing on the contest part, it is something to discuss to answer “grippers” to that question. Vinnie touched on this as well. Crushing strength does not have a lot of carryover to other grip lifts or real world utility. Some gripper certs are incredibly prestigious and sought after. But for overall strength it would be like deciding World’s Strongest Man with a bicep curl.

At the same time, I think c8myotome focused on the certification part of the question. Nothing wrong with that and also not a reason for negativity toward addressing the contest part.

Let us proceed and be grip nerds together  :flowers:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DavidStrong said:

We all know the Mr.Olympia is the gold standard for being the best bodybuilder in the world. What competition or certification in your opinion is the equivalent for the world’s strongest man in terms of grip strength? Thanks! This should be interesting.

Odd to use Mr. Olympia as a reference point, considering that it is primarily an esthetic competition.  But If I were to make an overall certification of grip I'd compare it more to the "super-total" of lifts which is the total of your best olympic lifts + your best power lifts.  Obviously weight classes would be appropriate, but the highest number would be what most people talked about.  I'd give it multiple events.

Rated gripper close: 20mm and no set

Double overhand supported rack pull on a 2" axle and a 28mm bar(hook grip not permitted)

Pinch on a blob and two hand device

Wrist strength on two hands forearm curl and one hand leverage bar

extensor strength on formulator type device and outer limits loops.

This would incorporate most if not all aspects of grip, hand and forearm strength and would likely minimize any advantages of overall body strength and proportional hand size. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidStrong said:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Zero for three on your third day on the Forum.

• Like 1

Just now, DavidStrong said:

Who the f*ck is this guy? 😂 

You've been warned already, and you have had posts deleted today.  Chill out.  Take to private chat if you must make these kinds of comments.

Guest DavidStrong
1 minute ago, dubyagrip said:

You've been warned already, and you have had posts deleted today.  Chill out.  Take to private chat if you must make these kinds of comments.

Okay, so they can talk trash and be punks but I can’t defend myself? Sounds backwards if you ask me 

Just now, DavidStrong said:

Okay, so they can talk trash and be punks but I can’t defend myself? Sounds backwards if you ask me 

Being critical of a post is not the same as an immature, personal attack.

Guest DavidStrong
Just now, dubyagrip said:

Being critical of a post is not the same as an immature, personal attack.

They started the immature personal attacks. I just took it to another level.