Some poetic new Standard levels coming!

Cannon

Hey grip nerds. 

Turns out, making springs is hard. Last year we got an entire batch of Iron [Fe] springs which were too wide to be that level. Trying to make the best of that, we mounted them all over the place to get a bunch of grippers that ranged from 140 to 167. Those were the Legacy Tributes. 

Well, we still have zillions of those springs. So we are going to make a level between Iron [Fe] and Cobalt [Co]. It just so happens there is a metal between those two that we skipped because it had the same Mohs hardness as Iron. That metal is Nickel [Ni]! I think this is poetic because Fe and Ni will have the same spring and also the same Mohs hardness. As before, we will mount the new Nickel grippers all over the place so they vary on purpose. 

Similarly, our most recent batch of Platinum [Pt] springs include roughly 50% which are too narrow to be Pt grippers. In another stroke of poetic luck, we skipped a metal between Gold [Au] and Platinum [Pt] because we felt the symbol would be confusing. It's Copper [Cu]! Once we get these made, we'll have a one-time run of slightly more narrow Cu grippers which average about 105. 

In our world, being a small business means finding these serendipitous little happy accidents. 

Finally, one more reminder that we will have 30 more pinned Unobtanium this year. That will round out the first 100. These have been popular enough that we will likely make more, but it could be a minute before a spring reorder makes sense. So watch for those! 

:cool  

• Like 24

37 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Hey grip nerds. 

Turns out, making springs is hard. Last year we got an entire batch of Iron [Fe] springs which were too wide to be that level. Trying to make the best of that, we mounted them all over the place to get a bunch of grippers that ranged from 140 to 167. Those were the Legacy Tributes. 

Well, we still have zillions of those springs. So we are going to make a level between Iron [Fe] and Cobalt [Co]. It just so happens there is a metal between those two that we skipped because it had the same Mohs hardness as Iron. That metal is Nickel [Ni]! I think this is poetic because Fe and Ni will have the same spring and also the same Mohs hardness. As before, we will mount the new Nickel grippers all over the place so they vary on purpose. 

Similarly, our most recent batch of Platinum [Pt] springs include roughly 50% which are too narrow to be Pt grippers. In another stroke of poetic luck, we skipped a metal between Gold [Au] and Platinum [Pt] because we felt the symbol would be confusing. It's Copper [Cu]! Once we get these made, we'll have a one-time run of slightly more narrow Cu grippers which average about 105. 

In our world, being a small business means finding these serendipitous little happy accidents. 

Finally, one more reminder that we will have 30 more pinned Unobtanium this year. That will round out the first 100. These have been popular enough that we will likely make more, but it could be a minute before a spring reorder makes sense. So watch for those! 

Any option for pre-ordering a Nickel, Copper, and Unobtanium so I don't miss out?

• Like 3

I'd be very interested in a super heavy super wide Nickel close to 80 mm or more.

I use my super wide 158 iron all the time and would love something more challenging in the high 160's.

I also really want to show the back of the gripper before closing it and say "look at this Nickel back, every time I do it makes me laugh"

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looking forward to getting them . Even though they are not in my range now.

a great goal to shoot for.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Busa said:

So it begins the checking for updates every couple of hours..

Hahaha you’re crazy and I love it. These things won’t just show up with no warning. We’ll do more announcing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No preorders at this time. For Copper and Nickel there will be hundreds. Anyone who wants one will get one. Unobtainium might be more scarce. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cannon said:

No preorders at this time. For Copper and Nickel there will be hundreds. Anyone who wants one will get one. Unobtainium might be more scarce. 

If you make another batch of unobtanium after the first 100, would you consider differentiating them in some way from the initial run?

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 2:47 PM, RiotGrip said:

If you make another batch of unobtanium after the first 100, would you consider differentiating them in some way from the initial run?

They'll probably be pinned handles

On 9/28/2023 at 2:47 PM, RiotGrip said:

Yes the next 30 will be pinned and will start over at #1 serial I think. After that we’ll keep counting probably. Some of this you have to make up as you go along :) 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 12:05 PM, Cannon said:

Hey grip nerds. 

How about Uranium or Palladium? 

16 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

How about Uranium or Palladium? 

Uranium would be a cool special edition of some kind. 

If we did a ~230 griper over Tungsten that would probably be Chromium. 

• Like 3

I'd def be cheering for a 220-230 rated gripper, And probably alot of other people would be too, I'd have 8lb increments all the way up to 250 if that were the case

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

If for any reason Standard makes other grippers above Tungsten as well, based on the Mohs hardness scale, some fun options might be:

- Chromium (225+ rgc from the podcast info)
- Corundum aka Ruby or Sapphire, or Uranium or Palladium or something (235-250 rgc, comparable to Tetting Pro)
- Boron (250-280 rgc to match GHP 10 / Tetting WC). Carl could actually use and close such a gripper right now.
- Diamond (300 rgc). The hardest possible gripper that the strongest human might be able to close, to match the hardest mineral.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jared P said:

If for any reason Standard makes other grippers above Tungsten as well, based on the Mohs hardness scale, some fun options might be:

Yeah Chromium is coming for sure and there will be more about that with a Mash Monster update next week :) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Jared P said:

- Corundum aka Ruby or Sapphire, or Uranium or Palladium or something (235-250 rgc, comparable to Tetting Pro)
- Boron (250-280 rgc to match GHP 10 / Tetting WC). Carl could actually use and close such a gripper right now.
- Diamond (300 rgc). The hardest possible gripper that the strongest human might be able to close, to match the hardest mineral.

I second this. Would be really really cool to see these numbers, even if just for chest crushing and collectors. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 1:54 PM, Jared P said:

A Corundum gripper is one I'd get for a meme and as a partial Berserk reference

0e725cc87407f17be30d12cf3003759e.jpg

Screenshot_20240312_053616_Chrome.jpg

very nice spring and the coil is thinner therefore greater resistance

11 minutes ago, steeve tremblay said:

Are you French? You sound like ChatGPT but that would make sense if you use translator 🤔

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Êtes-vous français? Vous ressemblez à ChatGPT mais cela aurait du sens si vous utilisez un traducteur🤔

yes I am from Quebec and I translate I translated badly or what is the problem thank you

2 minutes ago, steeve tremblay said:

oui je suis du Québec et je traduis j'ai mal traduit ou c'est quoi le problème merci

7 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Êtes-vous français? Vous ressemblez à ChatGPT mais cela aurait du sens si vous utilisez un traducteur🤔

I used a translator by the way and there are ways here to say things properly no matter what country you are in

1 hour ago, steeve tremblay said:

Chromium is supposed to be hardest Standard, so it has should has thickest spring 😄

Or did you mean the coil diameter is smaller therefore it has greater resistance? (Baraban does this) 

I thought all Standards have same coil diameter but varying thickness of wire @Cannon?