What athletes got the strongest grip?

AdriaanRobert96

So let me give you more details on the question at, obviously grip athletes got the strongest grip in general..

What I am asking is which non-gripsports athletes do you think might have the strongest grip if one would be to compare them?

Example, baseball players, sprinters (lol), powerlifters etc etc.. you get the idéa.

So basically anyone that doesn’t do grip training specifically.

This topic got me intrigued, maybe one could take something from other sports that would benefit you😃

• Like 1

Climbers and Strongmen would be the first to come to mind.  Mechanics, tree trimmers, and block layers otherwise - no doubt there are others too.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Judoka

Pound for pound…This or climbers. Overall it’s gotta be strongmen though. Grip is very specific 

Id say actual masons who lay block or concrete masons probably have the strongest grip for blue collar jobs.

Lay 12inch block all day, lay stone or mix mortar. Even the trowel hand has gotta be strong. My gramps had some serious arms on him.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Climbers and Strongmen would be the first to come to mind.  Mechanics, tree trimmers, and block layers otherwise - no doubt there are others too.

Climbing is really something intriguing to me, when I get lighter I’ll probably dabble into that because there’s so much to gain😊

29 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Pound for pound…This or climbers. Overall it’s gotta be strongmen though. Grip is very specific 

Id say actual masons who lay block or concrete masons probably have the strongest grip for blue collar jobs.

Lay 12inch block all day, lay stone or mix mortar. Even the trowel hand has gotta be strong. My gramps had some serious arms on him.

Damn funny you talk about masons, met an old man at the gym about 5 years ago..

He was about 78yrs old and told me he works as a mason since he was 15, it felt like I shook hands with a chimp!

Crazy hands and grip😂

• Like 2

Just now, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Damn funny you talk about masons, met an old man at the gym about 5 years ago..

He was about 78yrs old and told me he works as a mason since he was 15, it felt like I shook hands with a chimp!

Crazy hands and grip😂

IMG_5399.thumb.jpeg.7f4eee2a6f4c65eb4b58b9baaf803183.jpeg

We were just showing someone this pic of my grandpa. I’ve shared it here before. 

His grip strength was incredible, if you mention his name it’s the first thing people say. Masons from that dudes era and my grandpas and before, I don’t think you will find stronger men outside of the gym.

• Like 7

This is interesting and I find it awesome reading everyone experience!

Hmmm not sure really. We will put genetics aside for now and assume Mr. X trains AW. In a different parallel universe the same Mr. X does strongman. In another universe he does climbing or shot put or wrestling or Judo and so on. I would say strongman or shot put athletes.

As for what jobs, there are many. Lumberjacks, stone masons, movers, and so on. I would go with Blacksmith. Even Laine Snook wrote that in his book/ebook and told a story that back in the old days when/if someone broke his hand usually its the town's blacksmith who would hold his broke arms so the doctor can wrap it tight because they are known to have the best grip.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

We were just showing someone this pic of my grandpa. I’ve shared it here before. 

His grip strength was incredible, if you mention his name it’s the first thing people say. Masons from that dudes era and my grandpas and before, I don’t think you will find stronger men outside of the gym.

My hat goes down for your grandpa, a real legend indeed✊

37 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

This is interesting and I find it awesome reading everyone experience!

Hmmm not sure really. We will put genetics aside for now and assume Mr. X trains AW. In a different parallel universe the same Mr. X does strongman. In another universe he does climbing or shot put or wrestling or Judo and so on. I would say strongman or shot put athletes.

As for what jobs, there are many. Lumberjacks, stone masons, movers, and so on. I would go with Blacksmith. Even Laine Snook wrote that in his book/ebook and told a story that back in the old days when/if someone broke his hand usually its the town's blacksmith who would hold his broke arms so the doctor can wrap it tight because they are known to have the best grip.

Very interesting indeed, says a lot about the type of strength our ancestors had compared to now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Looks very strong! What was his age here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Looks very strong! What was his age here?

I’d say early 60s. At this point he worked maybe 2-3 days a week. Blind in one eye, bad back and bypass on his heart. But he looked like this until he died, never lost it. I’ll try and find a younger photo we have.

When you post your threads these grip freaks of nature I think of him. 

• Like 2

Athletes - I'll go climbers and amateur wrestlers

Blacksmith - Love the grandpa story.  While I didn't follow career of my dad and grandfather both were mechanics.

I remember it being 1992 or so, my grandfather, around 70 and in poor health nearly a decade.

My dad had just gotten COC's for first time.. he gave it to my grandfather to try. My grandfather almost completely smashed a #2 with both hands on first attempt and not knowing how to hold it with any real form. He squeezed it nearly closed for a few reps. He just laughed and didn't see what the big deal was. He wasn't a big guy..5'10 and lanky but even at 70 and not good health had 8" wrist.

Never lifted a barbell, just turned wrenches since he was a kid

Edited by Vinny F
  • Like 2

Would be interesting to test the grip strength of some elite rowers, they could potentially have really good grip strength.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

This is interesting topic ! Im a decent level climber and i have done most of my life physical outdoor jobs. 

I started gripsports about a month ago and been testing just lots of different implements. Here is list of my results , maybe this will give idea what basic climber is capable of in gripsports.

Im 6'2 tall and weight 176lbs.

i have also closed many CoC #2.5 straight out of package with CCS.

E0C8B516-32AC-4061-A891-EB7FB9A1FD32.jpeg

• Like 1

World Class Shot Putters and Discus Throwers.

Electricians who cannot afford good wire cutters.

I can give examples of each, neither of which ever did any  “grip work”.

• Like 3

For actual athletes:

Pro Strongmen

Pro Motocross riders

Climbers

Timbersports athletes

For professions:

Block layers

Truck stop mechanics who change the truck tires

Blacksmiths and farriers

Small boat fishermen who have to catch the fish by hand

Stone mason

Farmers

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Would be interesting to test the grip strength of some elite rowers, they could potentially have really good grip strength.

There was a DEA agent who helped me via telephone, 1997. He knew I would write  a letter to his superiors a year or two later when they wanted to transfer him to Southern California from Northern California. He wanted to stay, but he was being transferred.

Imagine my surprise when I read in MILO that he had become a Captain of Crush(living in San Diego). He was one of the last to Cert under “old rules”.

He apparently was a hard core hobby rower.  In his photo he looked very lean. 
I think he was Certified at Age 48, which probably would make him one of the oldest Captains of Crush ever.

If some skinny middle aged hobby rower not on the Gripboard  could Certify, I suspect your speculations ARE correct! I think we all missed that one.

Edit, I looked at the Captain of Crush list. He was a few guys before Chad Woodall, 2004. Pretty sure I am correct on the age, because he was one year younger than me…

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

There was a DEA agent who helped me via telephone, 1997. He knew I would write  a letter to his superiors a year or two later when they wanted to transfer him to Southern California from Northern California. He wanted to stay, but he was being transferred.

Imagine my surprise when I read in MILO that he had become a Captain of Crush(living in San Diego). He was one of the last to Cert under “old rules”.

He apparently was a hard core hobby rower.  In his photo he looked very lean. 
I think he was Certified at Age 48, which probably would make him one of the oldest Captains of Crush ever.

If some skinny middle aged hobby rower not on the Gripboard  could Certify, I suspect your speculations ARE correct! I think we all missed that one.

Which I find really interesting.  Obviously grip strength is specific but it sounds like years of hard work doing tasks that are laborious on the grip does build strength. Even if the weight or resistance doesn’t change. Once you get to a certain point blocks don’t get heavier or stone or hammers or wrenches. 

But even if the weight or resistance doesn’t change, maybe the stronger these people get the more work they generate in x amount of time and it’s the time under tension building the strength. 

Idk if that makes sense or I’m explaining it right. 

Also yes blacksmiths and fishermen. I’ll say it again concrete guys must have a very strong pinch. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vinny F said:

Athletes - I'll go climbers and amateur wrestlers

Blacksmith - Love the grandpa story.  While I didn't follow career of my dad and grandfather both were mechanics.

I remember it being 1992 or so, my grandfather, around 70 and in poor health nearly a decade.

My dad had just gotten COC's for first time.. he gave it to my grandfather to try. My grandfather almost completely smashed a #2 with both hands on first attempt and not knowing how to hold it with any real form. He squeezed it nearly closed for a few reps. He just laughed and didn't see what the big deal was. He wasn't a big guy..5'10 and lanky but even at 70 and not good health had 8" wrist.

Never lifted a barbell, just turned wrenches since he was a kid

Ah man love this, old man strength will forever live rent free in my head😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Rowing heavy combined with duration in the mix is a recipe for a heft grip😁

4 hours ago, NikoKoskinen said:

This is interesting topic ! Im a decent level climber and i have done most of my life physical outdoor jobs. 

I started gripsports about a month ago and been testing just lots of different implements. Here is list of my results , maybe this will give idea what basic climber is capable of in gripsports.

Im 6'2 tall and weight 176lbs.

i have also closed many CoC #2.5 straight out of package with CCS.

E0C8B516-32AC-4061-A891-EB7FB9A1FD32.jpeg

This is impressive, imagine you gaining up to 200lbs over time and you’ll be an animal in the grip world..

Although I’d imagine your climbing might suffer:/

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

For actual athletes:

Pro Strongmen

Pro Motocross riders

Climbers

Timbersports athletes

For professions:

Block layers

Truck stop mechanics who change the truck tires

Blacksmiths and farriers

Small boat fishermen who have to catch the fish by hand

Stone mason

Farmers

Interesting choice of athlete (motocross riders) and I won’t dispute it because I totally understand why🙂

• Like 1

Im actually going to compete at this years king kong in under 183lbs class (and hopefully finish in top10 😄) and after that starting to train harder and try to get my bodyweigth to 200.

I dont compete at climbing or anything , its just for fun so im not bothered if my climbing stuck for same level as now as im gaining weight 😄

• Like 1