What’s your main grip goal this year?

AdriaanRobert96

My main goal is to get certified on the #3, hopefully, this year 😁 This will be a significant milestone for, me since in 2020, I was on a ventilator for 74 days in a coma and 5 1/2 months in the hospital and lost almost all my grip strength. I could not turn the lid off a pop bottle. I can almost close the # 2 COC and will reach this goal by the end of the year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, liftyzig said:

Not sure about "this year" but these are the current goals I'm working towards:

MM1 right hand

MM0 left hand

blobzilla right hand

fatman blob left hand

lift 2x50lb Lalanne plates right hand

lift 2x45 left hand

Dont hurt back again.

Oh I do feel you on those 2x45s and 2x50s, would love to do that on day:)

Got to get that #4 first tho😂

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

Only grip goal is to close my 143 CoC 3 before the end of 2023, from any set depth. It looks like I'm on pace to do so. Closest so far was about 5-10mm away. Just got about 5mm away from my 136 Standard Iron a couple of days ago.

Other goals are related to bodybuilding and armwrestling.

Gawd damn man, love all these goals but grippers are my fave atm😂

Looks like your #3 is right around the corner 1-2 more months maybe?

Also I can’t wait to get up on that list of yours with the #3.5 CCS🥹

12 minutes ago, MRGRIGSBY1055 said:

My main goal is to get certified on the #3, hopefully, this year 😁 This will be a significant milestone for, me since in 2020, I was on a ventilator for 74 days in a coma and 5 1/2 months in the hospital and lost almost all my grip strength. I could not turn the lid off a pop bottle. I can almost close the # 2 COC and will reach this goal by the end of the year.

I won’t ask what happened but I will say that the fact that you’re here today, and grace us with these wonderful news is an achieved goal itself✊🏼

I am rooting for you king👑

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh man no set a 200lbs gripper is insane, you’re a madman and I mean that in the nicest way possible😂

People that refer to grippers in 50 lb increments 99.999999999% of the time are referring to manufacturer ratings, not rgc..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh man no set a 200lbs gripper is insane, you’re a madman and I mean that in the nicest way possible😂

no no it's the heavy grips counterfeit i got scammed with they are NOT a 200lb ahahaha

i think when terry conjugate did his video, they are basicly 20-30% lighter than they should, so i'm really just closing a 160-180 range one

+ as myotome said it's manufacturer rating, not actual rgc rating

Edited by Apneaa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Massive goals indeed, better let it take it’s time✊

Goodluck to you!

Thank you. This year in order I already did Crushed to Dust, MM1 R/L, CoC 3, then GHP8, so a lot has been done this year already and I have a ways to go towards my next goals.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Apneaa said:

no no it's the heavy grips counterfeit i got scammed with they are NOT a 200lb ahahaha

i think when terry conjugate did his video, they are basicly 20-30% lighter than they should, so i'm really just closing a 160-180 range one

+ as myotome said it's manufacturer rating, not actual rgc rating

Well I’d still say 160-180 is pretty damn insane😂

17 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hearing everyone talk about grip competitions is really motivating me to do my first, not sure how it works out here in Sweden tho😅

Yeah...listening to Joe Hodgson talk about the Australian scene in episode 1 of The Grip Show, I understand the geography challenges and feel fortunate to live less than an hour from John Foelber's Renewed Strength gym and grateful that Jedd Johnson and Chaz Strange drove down from Pennsylvania for my first comp.  It was the best possible scenario for me and an awesome experience and now I'm hooked.

Today I'm a week out from my second comp (Zach Mullins and Ben Helms' Heavy Hands) and I'm approaching it with a similar attitude to what Adam Glass described in episode 6 of The Grip Show.  I'm a newbie and I know my numbers.  This is about the experience...not taking home a trophy.  Where else can I compete against elite lifters and learn from the best?  Literally planning on having a pen & paper in my gym bag so I can write down my numbers and little notes like "next time try this" or "stop doing that" based on what I'm seeing and hearing.

Plus there's the whole social aspect of being in the same room with people I only know via emails and texts.  So much more fun than training alone in my basement.  hahaha

So I'd encourage you (and anyone else on this forum) to find a grip competition and give it a go.  See if you enjoy it.  I sure did...

• Like 4

My loose goal is to train grip a little bit more. I mostly took the spring and summer off from dedicated grip sport work to focus on climbing, worked well but now I'm going to shift back for the winter. Planning on going to king kong so working on those implements in the short term but not sure after that what I will focus on

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

My loose goal is to train grip a little bit more. I mostly took the spring and summer off from dedicated grip sport work to focus on climbing, worked well but now I'm going to shift back for the winter. Planning on going to king kong so working on those implements in the short term but not sure after that what I will focus on

These shifts in training is actually very refreshing to do, I myself have a hard time doing so but I push myself just to keep the mental sanity😂

Would love to compete in the King Kong Competition altho I am nowhere near the strength needed to even be there😅

25 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

These shifts in training is actually very refreshing to do, I myself have a hard time doing so but I push myself just to keep the mental sanity😂

Would love to compete in the King Kong Competition altho I am nowhere near the strength needed to even be there😅

If you're strong enough to open the door to the gym you're strong enough to enter, any other limits are purely in your imagination there's no excuse not to start competing right away unless you simply live too far away for it to be practical

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Climber028 said:

If you're strong enough to open the door to the gym you're strong enough to enter, any other limits are purely in your imagination there's no excuse not to start competing right away unless you simply live too far away for it to be practical

Ahh good point😅Yeah the thing is that most comps are too far away aswel, and sure if one really want one goes😆

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Yeah and @Eric Roussin talked in his Gripsport Latino episode that if you can drum up literally ONE OTHER PERSON then you could just host a 2-person grip contest and get on the books. There is a lot of support for promoters. 

• Like 3

Just got home from another climbing trip - this time to Smith Rocks in Oregon.  Other than getting washed down the river (twice) LOL - it went smoothly (the bridge was out).  Grip was strong but I needed more climbing specific endurance.  I'll be starting contest training for Yol Bosun along with staying with the climbing stuff as I still have two more trips coming up this fall.  So main goal is to climb well (better)and prepare for Yol Bosun as I really want to show what can be done at 75 years old.  So training will be overall as usual - no specialization in my past or future.   Time will tell.

• Like 3

I like this thread. For the first time in like 10 years, I have a grip goal. Last month I purchased two Sahlaney dumbbells. They are 100 and 125 pounds both with Inch spec handle sizes. So they are baby inches in theory, but like premature ones that were rushed straight to the NICU and given feeding tubes over a concern about low birthweight. Right now I am having fun lifting the 100 and getting in repetitions. I can pull it and hold it with both hands although my left is ahead. The 125 might as well be part of the floor. I can't do anything with that. So that is my goal for this year is to move/hop/partial/lift anything with the 125. It has also encouraged me to pick back up with lifts that I like. 45 hubbing, flask, blobs, etc. Grippers feel like trash so not quite back into those yet. Right now I am just having a lot of fun with these dumbbells.   

• Like 6

On 9/1/2023 at 3:34 PM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I won’t ask what happened but I will say that the fact that you’re here today, and grace us with these wonderful news is an achieved goal itself✊🏼

I am rooting for you king👑

Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)

• Sad 1

On 9/6/2023 at 10:03 PM, climber511 said:

Just got home from another climbing trip - this time to Smith Rocks in Oregon.  Other than getting washed down the river (twice) LOL - it went smoothly (the bridge was out).  Grip was strong but I needed more climbing specific endurance.  I'll be starting contest training for Yol Bosun along with staying with the climbing stuff as I still have two more trips coming up this fall.  So main goal is to climb well (better)and prepare for Yol Bosun as I really want to show what can be done at 75 years old.  So training will be overall as usual - no specialization in my past or future.   Time will tell.

If I am half as strong as you at that age can say I made it😎

On 9/7/2023 at 12:01 AM, Cannon said:

I like this thread. For the first time in like 10 years, I have a grip goal. Last month I purchased two Sahlaney dumbbells. They are 100 and 125 pounds both with Inch spec handle sizes. So they are baby inches in theory, but like premature ones that were rushed straight to the NICU and given feeding tubes over a concern about low birthweight. Right now I am having fun lifting the 100 and getting in repetitions. I can pull it and hold it with both hands although my left is ahead. The 125 might as well be part of the floor. I can't do anything with that. So that is my goal for this year is to move/hop/partial/lift anything with the 125. It has also encouraged me to pick back up with lifts that I like. 45 hubbing, flask, blobs, etc. Grippers feel like trash so not quite back into those yet. Right now I am just having a lot of fun with these dumbbells.   

Haha, mini inch😂

You’re literally the opposite of me right now, allI focus on is grippers while the rest is in the backseat..

I saw 2 75kg/165+ lbs dumbells on the web, thought about buying those and slap the Fat Gripz Extreme on them..

I wish I lived in the US tbh, ya’ll have all tge fun stuff close🥲

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, Cannon said:

glad you got them and its helped you get back into it.

I think within a year you'll be lifting the 125lbs... 3x3 negatives have been pretty good for me. Lift up with two hands and lower with one.. I alternate, with my hand not on the handle, from the front globe to back globe each rep or set.... Just so its balanced.. 

mine are the same.. but now its the baby inch instead of full inch.. Levering, and bending also... I'm going to pick it up a notch with my bending. I really wanted to take a year and just go super slow..  Wouldn't mind getting to 50lbs+ on my Blobtop either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Haha, mini inch😂

You’re literally the opposite of me right now, allI focus on is grippers while the rest is in the backseat..

I saw 2 75kg/165+ lbs dumbells on the web, thought about buying those and slap the Fat Gripz Extreme on them..

I wish I lived in the US tbh, ya’ll have all tge fun stuff close🥲

Nathan Holle is closer to us than the guys from USA, he makes inch dumbbells & blobs I believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

Nathan Holle is closer to us than the guys from USA, he makes inch dumbbells & blobs I believe.

How come I forgot that😅Very true indeed!