Standard Platinum

Cannon

10 minutes ago, LABZSTS said:

I use them as supplements and mains. The Standard line is so  good in my opinion that it should be the standard. Ideally I'd personally like as many increments as possible, but its unrealistic. Most people I hear from say 5lb jumps are great. You probably don't need the lb difference but some of us are addicts

I try to do 5lbs but when I’m stuck in a rut, I’ll chase it and try to do 2 or 3 lbs. If I still cannot. 1 lbs. Just curious if anyone else has that same wall they hit. I notice a lot of guys eventually dump grippers for other grip work. But, grippers always pull me back in. Maybe cause I always get hurt right when I wanna cert on #3 and gotta climb back up.  I ordered some Standards based on this post and responses. 😂 Thanks!

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I recommend 5 lbs jumps. I would only go below that for specific tactical plateau busters. 10 lbs jumps is realistic if you’re not within 20 lbs of your max. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen so many people fixate over having to get ratings that end with a 5 or a zero. These numbers are for no reason going to be any better than other numbers and there is just more competition for them anyways 

Take a look at what grippers average at...most of the time they are not numbers that end in 5 and 0, so by only going after these you are just making it harder to fill your own gaps because there are just less of these. I'd guess these are 20% of the grippers out there, if the last digit could be anything from 0 through 9.

Also if you're working up or down in 5 lb increment, it is going to take you forever to warm up, and then you will not be dropping down by very much either

My initial grippers have always been numbers all over the place and I found anything 6-8 lbs reasonable jumps to have a "complete set", 5 seems a bit small..you don't need the same exact jump between every gripper either 

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone who owns a 2nd gen platinum chime in with how wide the spread is? 

My First gen rated 119lbs is ridiculously wide at about 3.25"/82mm or so. I hardly use it because of that.

IMG_20230904_123405.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Can anyone who owns a 2nd gen platinum chime in with how wide the spread is? 

My First gen rated 119lbs is ridiculously wide at about 3.25"/82mm or so. I hardly use it because of that.

IMG_20230904_123405.jpg

I have a 120 and a 118, the 120 is also close to 82mm and the 118 is 80mm. I assume if you get one that is average rated it's probably 73-75mm instead, like most CoC's would be.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I have a 120 and a 118, the 120 is also close to 82mm and the 118 is 80mm. I assume if you get one that is average rated it's probably 73-75mm instead, like most CoC's would be.

Thanks, both yours are the 1st generation of platinum's yes? 

I remember Matt saying that the first batch of platinum all came out extra wide for some reason.

The new 2nd Generation ones are meant to be of a normal width spread regardless of RGC strength. They sold out fast so hopefully someone will be able to say roughly how wide the new batch ones are. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks, both yours are the 1st generation of platinum's yes? 

I remember Matt saying that the first batch of platinum all came out extra wide for some reason.

The new 2nd Generation ones are meant to of a normal a spread width regardless of RGC strength. The sold out fast so hopefully someone will be able to say roughly how wide the new batch ones are. 

Mine are both 2nd Gen 😁

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Mine are both 2nd Gen 😁

Oh man well if they are still making the new ones at over 80mm spread on purpose that is crazy to me. Hopefully @Cannon can elaborate on this.

Edited by mcalpine1986

7 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Oh man well if they are still making the new ones at over 80mm spread on purpose that is crazy to me. Hopefully @Cannon can elaborate on this.

It's probably only the high rated ones that are 80+, I have the whole lineup of 2nd gen and most of them are around 73mm.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

It's probably only the high rated ones that are 80+, I have the whole lineup of 2nd gen and most of them are around 73mm.

That's way higher though, say an average was 115lbs at 73mm spread. A stronger than average probably will be a bit wider but not nearly 10mm more than average surely. Only an extra 4-5lb than average yet nearly 10mm extra width. That doesn't seem right to me for the 2nd generation ones.  

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

Do you measure it by the inner crease where the knurling starts?

IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.c7de68227a11282db7e107db7fc8f630.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Do you measure it by the inner crease where the knurling starts?

IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.c7de68227a11282db7e107db7fc8f630.jpeg

I measure right where the knurling starts, since that's where the handles touch when closed.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That's way higher though, say an average was 115lbs at 73mm spread. A stronger than average probably will be a bit wider but not nearly 10mm more than average surely. Only an extra 4-5lb than average yet nearly 10mm extra width. That doesn't seem right to me for the 2nd generation ones.  

4-5lbs difference is quite a bit on a 'lighter' gripper, especially on Standard grippers since they don't seem to vary a lot.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, martincerven said:

My three new Pts are:
113lb-76mm
117lb-79mm
118lb-79mm

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. The 117 and 118 are very wide. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

4-5lbs difference is quite a bit on a 'lighter' gripper, especially on Standard grippers since they don't seem to vary a lot.

Yes but what I meant is it shouldn't affect the spread width too much.

For example I own 2 GHP 6's one rated 125lb and one 132lbs and they are both exactly the same spread at 76mm depsite a 7lb difference.

Like say the spread was an average of 75mm(regardless of RGC rating), a gripper at 82mm is way above that % wise and to me on the side of almost a manufacturing error. 

37 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Pinned or glued is not the cutoff for the change in spread. We had first batch springs that carried over into the pinned grippers. When we re-ordered the springs we tried again to get the spread we actually wanted. 

All the wide ones are gone. Now they have normal spreads but the same ratings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The main way to tell if you have a platinum with the first batch of wider springs is that the mount will measure 4 inches exactly from the bottom of the spring coil to the end of the handle.

Once we had the second batch of springs that measurement had to change to 3-13/16” to keep the same ratings. 

• Like 3

All of the first five levels had to go through this. The first batch of springs was too wide for my preference. They certainly are not any kind of defect, they are just wide in a way that I do not prefer. But remember the only reason we had to change the handles is because Tom died. We still had quite a bit of spring inventory at that time. As we built those and it became time to re-order the first five levels, I worked with the spring manufacturer to get the spreads where I actually wanted them, which required us to change the mount so that the strengths stayed the same. We go to pretty great lengths to at least try and fine tune these. :santa:

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Pinned or glued is not the cutoff for the change in spread. We had first batch springs that carried over into the pinned grippers. When we re-ordered the springs we tried again to get the spread we actually wanted. 

All the wide ones are gone. Now they have normal spreads but the same ratings. 

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

All of the first five levels had to go through this. The first batch of springs was too wide for my preference. They certainly are not any kind of defect, they are just wide in a way that I do not prefer. But remember the only reason we had to change the handles is because Tom died. We still had quite a bit of spring inventory at that time. As we built those and it became time to re-order the first five levels, I worked with the spring manufacturer to get the spreads where I actually wanted them, which required us to change the mount so that the strengths stayed the same. We go to pretty great lengths to at least try and fine tune these. :santa:

Thank you, I appreciate the detailed answer.

Like I said in an earlier post, i never use my earlier 82mm spread platinum much, So do you think if i ordered another one id get a more normal spread width like in the mid 70s maybe 74-76m maybe?

I just wouldn't want to drop another £50 on another shipped here and end up with a super wide one. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

So do you think if i ordered another one id get a more normal spread width like in the mid 70s maybe 74-76m maybe?

Guaranteed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Guaranteed.

Awesome thanks. I think I'll have to raid the old piggy bank soon and order myself a little early Christmas present 

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thank you, I appreciate the detailed answer.

Like I said in an earlier post, i never use my earlier 82mm spread platinum much, So do you think if i ordered another one id get a more normal spread width like in the mid 70s maybe 74-76m maybe?

I just wouldn't want to drop another £50 on another shipped here and end up with a super wide one. 

Let me know if you wanna sell that wide platinum 😁

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 1