What A Difference

anson

i just got ahold of my #1 and #2 COC grippers about 3 weeks ago- the first day they came in the mail i was so excited that i pounded these things trying to close them all i could, closed the #1 too many times and just barley managed to touch the #2 handles once. anyway, i tore my hands all apart, really brokre open the left pinkee! i hand to lay of for about 4 days, man this was hard! i posted here about my torn up hands and got a lot of great info from all you guys, i tied using the gloves to train grippers but this just didn't feel natural- i didn't feel like i hand enough control. then Dave Morton told me about using electrical tape to protect my hands, this worked great! it gave me enough protection while slowly building up the thickness of my "soft" hands. but this did make closing the #2 harder. so tonight i untaped my grippers, now i can close my #2 with authoity like never before!! and i'm only about 1/4" away with my left hand. i'm still gonna go slow in the beginning so i don't rip my hands up for a second time. maybe i'll get the #3 sooner instead of later so i can start doing some cheat closes with it and get used to the feel of a tougher gripper. do most of you guys use tape of some kind of tape on your grippers? again, thanks for all the great info, i thought i might have to give up grip training because of my stupidity starting out, but now i'm very motivated to keep work toward the #3!!!

Anson

I recall replying to your post with the electrical tape as well.

Works great doesn't it.. :)

Doing timed holds with a lighter gripper will help to toughen your skin.

Holds for time will condition the tendons too.

Close the handles to the point where you begin to feel pressure then stop

and just hold it. Increase your time and deflection of the gripper as you

toughen up...

Example: try using the Trainer and deflecting the handle to halfway and

hold it for time. 10-15-20 secs etc. See how that feels? it is not an all

out crush! Just a sweep in and hold. You determine the hold time based

on what you can withstand. Also how far you need to close for a hold

Experiment with how far you need to close the handles to get good hold

pressure. Actually, you are testing the waters so to speak. You may even

want to use a tougher gripper at the start. It is up to you

Then just work your way up with tougher grippers and timed holds for a while

• 2 weeks later...

yea those grippers have a tough surface. my hands have hardened up to the point where it dosnt bother me anymore at all.