Globe blobbing?

domedude

I'm fairly new into grip training, but have fully embraced blobs.  I started to wonder if anyone has "blobbed" old globe dumbbells.  I have three sizes of shot puts that I use to warm up, but the heaviest is only 16 pounds.  I've looked for heavier ones, but I think about a 5-6" diameter is about the maximum size that people with average-size hands could grab.  Has anyone cut the handle off a globe dumbbell to use like York blobs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, domedude said:

I'm fairly new into grip training, but have fully embraced blobs.  I started to wonder if anyone has "blobbed" old globe dumbbells.  I have three sizes of shot puts that I use to warm up, but the heaviest is only 16 pounds.  I've looked for heavier ones, but I think about a 5-6" diameter is about the maximum size that people with average-size hands could grab.  Has anyone cut the handle off a globe dumbbell to use like York blobs?

After watching a couple "glob" videos, I found the cheapest 20lb shot put I could online.  Frankly it felt pretty easy, so I went up to a 14KG Cannonball Blob from Gods of Grip.

Shipping to the US was pricey but I'd do it again if they ever bring back the "24kg - 17.5cm" size.  Their cannonball is a fun departure from more traditional blobs and block weights.

However, having recently acquired some globe dumbbells, I can safely say that I have no desire to cut them up.  Maybe if I came across something broken beyond repair...sure.  A generic pair of little significance or collectability...perhaps.  But not a beautiful pair of Yorks.  Just my personal preference...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

After watching a couple "glob" videos...

Links for relevant videos that inspired me to pursue this path:

@Jedd Johnson's 60lb glob - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gCMidzfyA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwazmOwLLI4

@temmmeeee's 70lb glob - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi36Osb_JWU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny9Rbtj_P8k

Just amazing grip strength on display in these videos, so I wanted to challenge myself to attempt something similar.  It was as simple as that...

• Like 3

I didn't realize "globbing" was a thing.  I had seen the 14kg one from Gods of Grip, but as you mentioned, shipping doubles the price.  Agreed that globe dumbbells shouldn't be cut, but I'd do it on one with a bent handle, and maybe a non-York if was the right size.

• Like 2

I couldn't or wouldn't either. Theres a few grip tools made to replicate the feat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I couldn't or wouldn't either. Theres a few grip tools made to replicate the feat.

The pull-up balls I mentioned are by REP Fitness for the 5" and Force5 Equipment for the 6"

You could buy a thousand sets for the price of those dumbbells on eBay!  🤪

• 7 months later...

Is there anyone that sells or makes globs? Example Nathan Holle making his inch bells and own blobs?

Definitely would like to add some to the garage gym

Never even tried one to be honest would love to though

3 hours ago, Delan Halmat said:

Is there anyone that sells or makes globs? Example Nathan Holle making his inch bells and own blobs?

Definitely would like to add some to the garage gym

Never even tried one to be honest would love to though

I haven't come across much...  Largest shot put I found easily online was 20lb and about 5" across.  Lifted that right out of the box so the next step up for me was a 14KG (6") Cannonball Blob from Gods of Grip.  That one was pretty doable.  But I don't have actual York globe dumbbell halves for comparison...

• Like 1