New to grip training

sevvvvv

Hello guys,

Im 30 year old western european, started armwrestling training few months ago (already got 10 year of general gym and strenght training) and already got some decent wrist and forearm development and strenght from specific training regimen 3x/week.

Last training session I came across an oldschool guy that had a lot of grip material in his basement. After 3 hours of training I tried a few captains of crush and felt in love with it (never trained grip despite of some one arm deadlifts and fat gripz rows and pullups training for armwrestling).

I was pretty beated up and tired but I managed to close the coc#2 open hand style, bad technique.  After researching I found out that theres no one in my country that managed to get certificated on the coc#3, let alone the rest of them.

So my goal now is to close the #3. I ordered some of them from the #1 up to the #3 along with elastic extensors.

I will do a basic regimen of 2x week with a warm up coc, a working one for 5-6 reps and for now the goal should be to close the 2.5" ( I will try to close it but I doubt I can do it even though I was not fresh that day).

It also should help a bit in armwrestling ( not much carryover but it definitely helps on containment and straps, most top armwrestlers have huge crushing power and are able to close #3 , Vitaly Laletin being probably the one with strongest grip with close to 160KG on GD Dyno).

Good luck for everyone.

Edited by sevvvvv
  • Like 12

welcome to the best forum in town,

• Like 2

You're already on the right path by planning to train lower volume like this.  I love to see it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sevvvvv said:

After researching I found out that theres no one in my country that managed to get certificated on the coc#3, let alone the rest of them.

Welcome to the club, it's great motivation when you're potentially the first from your country to certify. Wish you all the best in your training.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys

So my set of grippers finally arrived 2 weeks ago but Today was my first session (I only tried some of them at my armwrestling friends house).

I warmed up with some resistance rubber hand grippers from amazon (40-50lbs). 

Then I proceeded to the COC #1 , I did around 2 sets of 12-15 reps each both hands (just as a warm up and to test my strengh, I was surprised ).

After that I closed the #1.5 both hands no problem

Then I closed the #2 on the right, left few mm off.

I didn´t gave the #2.5 a go (I was already tired). I believe my right has a fair shot at it .

Im happy for my first session, my goal now should be to close the #2 on the left and the #2.5 on the right.

As a warm down I did extensor bands blue for 15 reps each hand, and some reps with the #1.

My armwrestling routine is 3x per week + general gym workouts .
I will train grippers only 1x per week for now. If I progress fast I may increase it to 2x week .

Cheers guys

Edited by sevvvvv
  • Like 7

Some of my stats

Height: 184 cm

Weight: 101kg

hand size: 20cm (8")

Wrist size: 20cm (8")

Forearm w/pump: 39-40cm

Bicep w/pump: 47-48cm

I believe I still have some more natty gains left,most definitely on grip and armwrestling since I´m still a beginner on both.

• Like 5

Todays workout :

Warm up :

15 reps amazon rubber gripper

10 reps COC#1 both hands

2 Working sets:
4-5 reps Coc # 2 right

5-7reps Coc #1.5 left

Challenger gripper:
Coc# 2.5 right ( 0,5 cm left to close it) video attached .

I never thought I had this much grip strenght (Maybe I gained some from the armwrestling workouts).

I never touched this gripper before

https://files.fm/u/vbgknjp4x

Coc#2 left, about 0,5cm-1cm off def weaker hand

Warm down

10 reps coc#1

2x extensor bands blue x 15 reps

Edited by sevvvvv
  • Like 5

Nice work, keep it up

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, sevvvvv said:

Hello guys,

Im 30 year old western european, started armwrestling training few months ago (already got 10 year of general gym and strenght training) and already got some decent wrist and forearm development and strenght from specific training regimen 3x/week.

Last training session I came across an oldschool guy that had a lot of grip material in his basement. After 3 hours of training I tried a few captains of crush and felt in love with it (never trained grip despite of some one arm deadlifts and fat gripz rows and pullups training for armwrestling).

I was pretty beated up and tired but I managed to close the coc#2 open hand style, bad technique.  After researching I found out that theres no one in my country that managed to get certificated on the coc#3, let alone the rest of them.

So my goal now is to close the #3. I ordered some of them from the #1 up to the #3 along with elastic extensors.

I will do a basic regimen of 2x week with a warm up coc, a working one for 5-6 reps and for now the goal should be to close the 2.5" ( I will try to close it but I doubt I can do it even though I was not fresh that day).

It also should help a bit in armwrestling ( not much carryover but it definitely helps on containment and straps, most top armwrestlers have huge crushing power and are able to close #3 , Vitaly Laletin being probably the one with strongest grip with close to 160KG on GD Dyno).

Good luck for everyone.

Sorry, I replied to this before seeing your other posts with your actual workouts.  Thanks for posting those!

Edited by RITParent15
hadn't seen other posts
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in hearing how everyone tracks their training and progress?, paper and pen, electronic, or something else. If anyone does something like Google Sheets or Docs, or an Excel spreadsheet, I would be interested in seeing it if you all are willing to share.

My old standby has been pen & paper.  Just a simple spiral bound notebook and an orange, all-weather pen.  (Orange because it's easier to find when I set it down/drop it and all-weather because a little sweat can be enough to stop a cheap pen).

I used to do excel spreadsheets and even printed blank workout templates when I had more structured programming.  But these days there's no telling what grip implements I may try one day to the next based on where I'm feeling weak or strong that particular workout, so pen & paper seems easier.

48 minutes ago, MRGRIGSBY1055 said:

I am interested in hearing how everyone tracks their training and progress?, paper and pen, electronic, or something else. If anyone does something like Google Sheets or Docs, or an Excel spreadsheet, I would be interested in seeing it if you all are willing to share.

I take video of everything.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I take video of everything.

Yeah...I may take video of my last set or two--partly for form corrections on the spot and partly for documentation down the road.

I also sometimes take a photo of the barbell or loading pin so I know exactly what plates I used (because not much of my stuff is calibrated and could potentially affect my precise totals).

But I log all the nit-noid details (implements/weights, warmup/working reps/sets, notes/comments, etc) using pen & paper.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys long time no see.

Been really focused on armwrestling and training my hand strenght in other ways( cupping,fingers,pronation). Usually only do a light gripper session once per week, high reps #1 and #1.5.

About the 2.5 I can close it already with ease and never really tried it until few days ago. video link 

I believe some armwrestling exercises translate to gripper power (such as thick handles training) and fingers.

Im now trying to get a gripper between the 2,5 and the 3. Assuming my 2,5 is pretty average @125rgc , Im trying to get a gripper around 134-138rgc.

Any suggestions? 

https://streamable.com/r009vb

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, sevvvvv said:

Im now trying to get a gripper between the 2,5 and the 3. Assuming my 2,5 is pretty average @125rgc , Im trying to get a gripper around 134-138rgc.

Standard Iron from CPW is right between a 2.5 & 3, it has really great knurling too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Standard Iron from CPW is right between a 2.5 & 3, it has really great knurling too.

And I believe he @Cannon has 3 rated in stock right now!

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1