Wider spring = Higher RGC?

AdriaanRobert96

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

As already discussed. Feeling and actually rating is not the same thing. Decrease the spread from 80 mm to 25 mm and the same rating are two different worlds. Same with knurling, put on some handles with shiny handles without knurling and you will lose a lot of closing power.

True, that’s why I have to get it rated because it’s not facts to go by feel.. nonetheless, mostly for fun tbh😁

2 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

True, that’s why I have to get it rated because it’s not facts to go by feel.. nonetheless, mostly for fun tbh😁

You don't need the facts. RGC system is not perfect. It's just one way of estimating how hard a gripper is. You body and brain doesn't care if it says "156" or "160" on a machine. It's how hard the gripper actually is to close that matters.

That's why I don't think it's good practice to use a bunch of different grippers when competing in grippers. It's better to use the same gripper, which you can adjust the levels on.

4 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

You don't need the facts. RGC system is not perfect. It's just one way of estimating how hard a gripper is. You body and brain doesn't care if it says "156" or "160" on a machine. It's how hard the gripper actually is to close that matters.

That's why I don't think it's good practice to use a bunch of different grippers when competing in grippers. It's better to use the same gripper, which you can adjust the levels on.

Like the Vulcan for example, love that thing🥹Thank you!

3 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Like the Vulcan for example, love that thing🥹Thank you!

Yes the vulcan is a beast, so damn hard to set as well.

I think silarukov actually made a gripper where you could adjust the resistance but not only that, you could also adjust the spread of the handles if I'm not mistaken. I have never tried it though. Seems like a really interesting idea.

Edited by Fist of Fury

7 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes the vulcan is a beast, so damn hard to set as well.

I think silarukov actually made a gripper where you could adjust the resistance but not only that, you could also adjust the spread of the handles if I'm not mistaken. I have never tried it though. Seems like a really interesting idea.

Oh yeah the set is insanely hard on the Vulcan😈

Really?

I need to check that out, Silarukov still having that?

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Rare indeed, and again I only assume it’s around that based on my experience with other grippers, feel and information I’ve got😅

Do you have any rated grippers? Because it's hard to gauge anything, if you don't have any rated grippers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Do you have any rated grippers? Because it's hard to gauge anything, if you don't have any rated grippers.

I gauged it based on my (assumed) average #3, pretty much it.. going by the CPW table of ratings..

I’ll make sure to rate all of them since I’ll be getting myself an RGC device, and I’ll definitely apply the advice @Cannon said “rating the same gripper atleast 5 times” to get a decent accuracy..

For me it’s just a fun thing but also interesting to see what you’re actually closing.

I’ll rate all my grippers when I get it, any further rating advice is welcome btw.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I gauged it based on my (assumed) average #3, pretty much it.. going by the CPW table of ratings..

I’ll make sure to rate all of them since I’ll be getting myself an RGC device, and I’ll definitely apply the advice @Cannon said “rating the same gripper atleast 5 times” to get a decent accuracy..

For me it’s just a fun thing but also interesting to see what you’re actually closing.

I’ll rate all my grippers when I get it, any further rating advice is welcome btw.

@C8Myotome went through hell getting his to rate accurately to previously rated grippers.  He can probably chime in.

You'll need a CPW rated gripper to calibrate to if you're basing your assumptions off of the table of ratings @Cannon has on his website.  Otherwise your effort will be a self-fulfilling prophecy, changing variables until it hits the number or falls into the range you have in your mind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

@C8Myotome went through hell getting his to rate accurately to previously rated grippers.  He can probably chime in.

You'll need a CPW rated gripper to calibrate to if you're basing your assumptions off of the table of ratings @Cannon has on his website.  Otherwise your effort will be a self-fulfilling prophecy, changing variables until it hits the number or falls into the range you have in your mind.

Definitely agree with this. It's one of the big reasons I bought some rated grippers from Cannon, basically to calibrate my homemade rating device. Now I can actually compare and look at the CPW rating chart, to see where my grippers are at in comparison. I was disappointed with my original #3, I was of course hoping it would be above average but it turned out to be 144 so a bit low but that's how it goes.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Mine is great...it's a learnable skill

20230518_213034.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

Mine is great...it's a learnable skill

20230518_213034.jpg

Oh man, can’t wait to get my rating device, I’ll be rating gripper like a madman😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Well, Silarukov has various adjustable grippers, but I think you are talking about the эспандер Муравей (expander Muravey). You can adjust the settings. There are other adjustable to train the pinch, the эспандер Тиски (expander Tiski) (link). I was interested in them but the ongoing war...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josé adalton said:

Well, Silarukov has various adjustable grippers, but I think you are talking about the эспандер Муравей (expander Muravey). You can adjust the settings. There are other adjustable to train the pinch, the эспандер Тиски (expander Tiski) (link). I was interested in them but the ongoing war...

Ugh man this sucks with the war and stuff, for other reasons than this but this aswell 😕

Thank you for the link tho🫡

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, Cannon said:
On 5/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Took a look at my super heavy #3 with an RGC of 160-165, and the width was exactly 80mm/ 3.15 inches..

That’s a pretty average #3 spread. I think you’ve mentioned before your #3 is not actually rated. 160+ is exceptionally rare. Like white whale rare. I think you might be wrong about the rating if you’re just guessing. Remind me what you’re basing the number on?

I miss a point that I found in the comments of this video: @Ryroza 

image.png.fa672b81d55311d1d5c21ea1c5f36dff.png

That "distribution of energy" can explain why some grippers feel harder than others but with similar RGCs.

• Like 1