How would you train grip without any grip equipment?

AdriaanRobert96

So let’s say you can’t or don’t have grippers, pinch blocks and or thick implements.. even levering bars are off the table..

With whatever else you have, what and how would you train your grip?

I’ll go first..

Towel Pull Ups, Climber Pull Ups, and those 30kg garden-path plates or whatever.

Super Thin Mat Pulls (builds mad gripper like strength).. I know by experience.

Before my last thing I’d pick some kind of wooden plate curl or whatver that copies that.

I’d also pick the sand bucket for nice blood flow and a very natural way of moving from an anatomical perspective.

So basically anything but the our usual way of training grip these days..

If we're going to be really strict on the "no equipment" then I'll go for stone lifting, hanging from trees, and levering/breaking branches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stones, sledgehammer, bricks, blocks, wheel barrows…..humans.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

…..humans.  

As a dad, "humans" made think of baby/kid stuff.  😁  A baby in a carrier is heavier than you think...especially when your wife has twins!  Ditto for double the pack-n-plays, bouncers/rockers, suitcases, etc you carry on family trips.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

As a dad, "humans" made think of baby/kid stuff.  😁  A baby in a carrier is heavier than you think...especially when your wife has twins!  Ditto for double the pack-n-plays, bouncers/rockers, suitcases, etc you carry on family trips.

Depending on how much you like or hate someone the possibilities are endless.

I know what you mean with twins. My sister has Irish twins, playing with them is tiring because when you throw one the other one wants to be thrown or spun or whatever. It’s a vicious cycle.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

...playing with them is tiring because when you throw one the other one wants to be thrown or spun or whatever. It’s a vicious cycle.

This...right...here.  That's exactly what has happened to me for six years and counting!  😂🤣😅

• Like 2

Deadlifts and Pull-Ups. Any version and variety conceivable to maximize results.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gripperer said:

If we're going to be really strict on the "no equipment" then I'll go for stone lifting, hanging from trees, and levering/breaking branches.

Yeah love that😅

13 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Climb trees, lift stones, armwrestle

Stone lifting, grrr didn’t think of that😭

13 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Stones, sledgehammer, bricks, blocks, wheel barrows…..humans.  

Love the last “equipment”😂And it totally works aswell.

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Depending on how much you like or hate someone the possibilities are endless.

I know what you mean with twins. My sister has Irish twins, playing with them is tiring because when you throw one the other one wants to be thrown or spun or whatever. It’s a vicious cycle.

Pure conditioning😂

7 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Deadlifts and Pull-Ups. Any version and variety conceivable to maximize results.

Good choices, can’t go wrong with those😎

With no specific grip equipment I wouldn't do anything other than just lifting weights. Of course never use straps, hook grip it is on deadlifts when you can't hold the weight anymore. 

• Like 1

If you have a barbell with weights you have everything you need to develop a very very high level of grip strength - I've written about it for years - but everyone wants all the fancy stuff first.  Power Forearms and Finger Curls - I defy anyone except those already at quite high levels to do this seriously for 6 months and not make progress from where they are today.

• Like 2

Do you mean without grip equipment, or literally in an empty room where the only thing there is your body? Or with household items? I'm having trouble understanding the question

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, climber511 said:

If you have a barbell with weights you have everything you need to develop a very very high level of grip strength - I've written about it for years - but everyone wants all the fancy stuff first.  Power Forearms and Finger Curls - I defy anyone except those already at quite high levels to do this seriously for 6 months and not make progress from where they are today.

I really can’t wait to give it a go some day. But now isn’t the time for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Do you mean without grip equipment, or literally in an empty room where the only thing there is your body? Or with household items? I'm having trouble understanding the question

Yeah, it wasn’t so well put tbh😂But yeah exactly without grip equipment.. whatever else but grip equipment.

28 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

With no specific grip equipment I wouldn't do anything other than just lifting weights. Of course never use straps, hook grip it is on deadlifts when you can't hold the weight anymore. 

Truth, deads, weighted pull ups goes a long way😎

19 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Truth, not only strong base but further development of the body and grip👍🏼

I personally went from training a 6 day split to 3 days per week and the other 3 days is walking for 80min and grip..

Been at it for a decent 14 years now☝🏻

1 minute ago, C8Myotome said:

I would say deadlifts then if other equipment is allowed to be used

For the big picture I’d choose deads and pull ups aswell.. can never go wrong and it saves time.. if that’s an issue😅

4 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Judo or jiujitsu in a gi.

Oh definitely, seen some jiu-jitsu guys with massive forearms and iron grip💀

3 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

For the big picture I’d choose deads and pull ups aswell.. can never go wrong and it saves time.. if that’s an issue😅

Pull ups are not nearly as good, first of all you have less weight to work with, you have less and smaller muscles being used, these muscles are going to become the limiting factor more than your grip will be, when the grip isn't even getting taxed that much to begin with. Your pullup set will be done due to fatigue of these muscles much before due to being limited your grip, therefore not training your grip that effectively

This is why I said deadlifts...you get to use just about every single muscle in your body, and you can keep loading plates. Grip absolutely will become the limiting factor in this, and tax/train is the most.

I wouldn't even put pullups 2nd on the list.

• Like 1