Significant Thumb Growth Possible?

AdriaanRobert96

So I decided to start a little side project and see if gaining significant thumb muscle size is possible within a year, of course with the adequate training volume and frequency.

Measure my thumb like this:

and got a circumference of exactly 27cm/ 10.62 inches.

image.thumb.jpg.113792bfdc0980e4376142f7d0697fa1.jpg

I found an interesting way of training thumb that’s pretty reliable and easy to track without leading to injury.

I will make sure to post monthly updates on how it all progressed, but mostly with a focus on if size changed at all.

I Will of course share the way of training after I end this “project” to make sure it works, I don’t want to waste anyones time but mine😂

One thing I can say is I’ll work the thumb from all possible anatomical positions with fairly decent volume.

Wish me luck, stick around and drop a follow on this thread if interested in the results and of course the end result where I’ll compare results from start to finish.

If this turns out to work, I’ll gladly share exactly what I did😈

Letss goo!!

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
  • Like 5

Hands Waiting GIF by Lyla Ribot me waiting patiently for the next year.. Good luck, cant wait to see the results. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Hands Waiting GIF by Lyla Ribot me waiting patiently for the next year.. Good luck, cant wait to see the results. 

Appreciate that man, but remember that I’ll post monthly updates on thumb size aswell so I won’t keep you waiting for too long ;) 

"Adriaan to Blacksmith, Adriaan to Blacksmith, are you receiving?"

"Blacksmith receiving, over."

"The thumb has not experienced any identifiable change since last week's update, do you copy?"

"Copy that. Thanks." 

"I'm considering changing up my routine. So you know where I was using the resistance ba-..." 

"Blacksmith over and out."

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

"Adriaan to Blacksmith, Adriaan to Blacksmith, are you receiving?"

"Blacksmith receiving, over."

"The thumb has not experienced any identifiable change since last week's update, do you copy?"

"Copy that. Thanks." 

"I'm considering changing up my routine. So you know where I was using the resistance ba-..." 

"Blacksmith over and out."

Awh man, love this comment😂, made me smile for sure!

I could literally imagine me in a post apocalyptic environment trying to make contact😆

4 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Awh man, love this comment😂, made me smile for sure!

I could literally imagine me in a post apocalyptic environment trying to make contact😆

Haha, yes, still talking specifics of grip training despite everything. I'd be the same... 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Ivan sent me this the other day. Might be of interest. Something I may train in the future.

Awh man thank you very much, all and any advice is welcome.. I always keep and open mind..

Will take a look as we speak🤙🏼

Wait until it starts growing out of the top of your hand...

20230329_182647.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Curious question for all, which grip exercises do you believe contribute the most to hand growth overall, including the thumb?

My hands have grown in thickness a little just doing weight training, forearms and grippers, but not too much yet. I’d like to continue to grow them further, much like the results @Londonjoseph has seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

Curious question for all, which grip exercises do you believe contribute the most to hand growth overall, including the thumb?

My hands have grown in thickness a little just doing weight training, forearms and grippers, but not too much yet. I’d like to continue to grow them further, much like the results @Londonjoseph has seen.

This is only a hunch but I think there could be something in grippers, because they force you to contain massive pressure that isn't just stimulating to the muscles, but also the tissues of the hand. 

As compared something like thick bar, which is fantastic for grip but perhaps not as pressurising for the hand.

For similar reasons to the gripper, DOH deadlift as well. Basically using the hand in its strongest position to contain the most amount of pressure possible. 

• Like 2

I think this video is great and anyone who closes grippers should give it some consideration. 

Also, thank you for the shout-out guys, I think the biggest factor for my hands growing was dreaming about it every day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Screenshot_20230325-043036.png

Screenshot_20230325-043153.png

User Londonjoseph  had some pretty significant growth from grip training over 2 years. 

Indeed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

I think this video is great and anyone who closes grippers should give it some consideration. 

Also, thank you for the shout-out guys, I think the biggest factor for my hands growing was dreaming about it every day.

Literally me, all day everyday is grip😮💨😂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jared P said:

Anything that target the intrinsic muscles of hand.

So pinch for lumbricals/interossei and the thumb/pinky pad, also high degree flexion (think gripper end range/deep crush)

As for the soft tissue and bones just wear the hell out of it with repeated stresses as early in life as you can, think amish or mecanic hands.

You want the muscles and tendons to grow and fill out the space between the bones, expending the wireframe of the hand overall

I also recommend massive HGH doses 😇(sarcasm warning)

Edited by Apneaa
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Forgot to link these two, they cover some isolation you can do at home  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Apneaa said:

Forgot to link these two, they cover some isolation you can do at home  

Great exercises but do not forget the stretch will be your best friend for mass, exactly like for calves😎

I've often wondered this. I'm built just like my dad but his wrists are way bigger than mine and hands are thicker. He also weights 80lbs more than me. But i've often wondered if i did years of masonry if my hands and wrists would get like his.  His brother is thinner but his wrists and hands are huge too, but he also did masonry for years and restores hot rods...   Ive definitely noticed my hands getting thicker since i started grip. My wrists are actually half inch smaller but i've lost 20lbs by cutting back on beer.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've often wondered this. I'm built just like my dad but his wrists are way bigger than mine and hands are thicker. He also weights 80lbs more than me. But i've often wondered if i did years of masonry if my hands and wrists would get like his.  His brother is thinner but his wrists and hands are huge too, but he also did masonry for years and restores hot rods...   Ive definitely noticed my hands getting thicker since i started grip. My wrists are actually half inch smaller but i've lost 20lbs by cutting back on beer.

Can’t even decide what I am more impressed by, the fact that you lot 20lbs or that you drank so much beer😎😂

Ok now to answer your post, I am honestly not sure.. some people always says genetics or you won’t have it..

But as you say, your father and his brother got them thick hands and wrists… do you think they’d still have them if they maybe sat behind a PC all day?

I personally believe never believed in genetics…

So let me catch myself, what I mean is that genetics are a thing.. but I never let it get to my head that it can’t be done or that wr should bow down to our genetic potential..

Do the work and as long as there is muscle and tendons, things will change without a doubt..

The body has to adapt!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, I’ve always hand skinny hands and wrists, but I usually worked in customer service or hospitality, and didn’t do much physical labor. Now I work in manual labor, weight train, and train grip, and my hands and wrists are starting to grow finally.

My dad was a logger, trucker, fence builder, roofer, you name it - he did it. His hands were thick and calloused, just like his dad’s who did the same things. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Yeah, I’ve always hand skinny hands and wrists, but I usually worked in customer service or hospitality, and didn’t do much physical labor. Now I work in manual labor, weight train, and train grip, and my hands and wrists are starting to grow finally.

My dad was a logger, trucker, fence builder, roofer, you name it - he did it. His hands were thick and calloused, just like his dad’s who did the same things. 

Yup, that definitely leads me to believe that most of the people that worked manual labor has somewhat thicker hands😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Can’t even decide what I am more impressed by, the fact that you lot 20lbs or that you drank so much beer😎😂

Ok now to answer your post, I am honestly not sure.. some people always says genetics or you won’t have it..

But as you say, your father and his brother got them thick hands and wrists… do you think they’d still have them if they maybe sat behind a PC all day?

I personally believe never believed in genetics…

So let me catch myself, what I mean is that genetics are a thing.. but I never let it get to my head that it can’t be done or that wr should bow down to our genetic potential..

Do the work and as long as there is muscle and tendons, things will change without a doubt..

The body has to adapt!

Yeah I have drank my fair share of beer to say the least. I love beer but I love working out and being productive more.

I think you’re right. My grandfather had even bigger wrists and hands. He worked even harder than my dad. Me I’m 3rd generation and don’t work nearly as hard. Like you say our body’s adapt. When times get tough I think of the conditions my grandfather worked on. My hardest day was nothing completed to his easiest. Many of us can probably say the same.

• Like 3

@AdriaanRobert96timing is everything. Was scrolling on my brothers Facebook just now and look at the picture I found. My dads arm vs mine.  Not sure I ever saw this pic. 

B60DD964-E4EA-40F2-A563-1D996BDF0EE1.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

@AdriaanRobert96timing is everything. Was scrolling on my brothers Facebook just now and look at the picture I found. My dads arm vs mine.  Not sure I ever saw this pic. 

B60DD964-E4EA-40F2-A563-1D996BDF0EE1.png

Dang it man, your pops forearms and hands are thick😫

BUT … You got sick forearms too without a doubt!

• Like 1