Comparing strongman vs. climber grip strength

MyetaM

Just watched this video from a popular youtube climbing channel. It's a workout where they compete in different grip exercises.

The single-finger strength difference was the most striking. That part of the video is at 15:30.

Unfortunately, they did not try competing in closing grippers, which would have been interesting to see. Based on forearm size my bet would be on the strongman (Norwegian Hulk).

Edited by MyetaM
better wording
  • Like 1

Along similar lines, he did a video with Eddie Hall as well that I thought was pretty neat. Each person put a different version of the same video:

Magnus's:

Eddie's: 

• Like 2

Regarding the first vid, with the Norwegian Hulk: those guys' numbers on most of those events were not remarkable.  I've never tried the crimp one that the climber said was like climbing, or the one finger -- but on those other, standard grip implements, they were maxing out at very ordinary numbers that plenty of grip folk can make.

• Like 1

Climbers develop a very specific type of strength.  While not "weak" anywhere - most will not be exceptional at some of the things we do.  But at the game they play they are very hard to beat - and some examples among our own ranks show crazy abilities across the board.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The series continues, this time against powerlifter Larry Wheels.

Spoiler alert, Larry wins in all the grip exercises, except with the hub grip exercise.

• Like 1

I never understood these videos. 

Its like making a hockey player and football player compete to see who the better baseball player is. That being said, I still find it very interesting to see what people who don't specifically train grip can do.  But I was not impressed with the strongmans grip in first video. But give him a year and he'd probably put up very high numbers.

I'd like to see more stuff like this but with blue collar guys that don't really workout that live off of beer, cigarettes and red bulls. That could get really interesting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I never understood these videos. 

Its like making a hockey player and football player compete to see who the better baseball player is. That being said, I still find it very interesting to see what people who don't specifically train grip can do.  But I was not impressed with the strongmans grip in first video. But give him a year and he'd probably put up very high numbers.

I'd like to see more stuff like this but with blue collar guys that don't really workout that live off of beer, cigarettes and red bulls. That could get really interesting.

Yeah dude love that idea different blue collar trades jobs. 

• Like 1

Apples and oranges.  I've been lifting for 63 years - including all facets of Strength competitions  - climbing for 40 years - and doing grip sport now for 20 years.  I've taken grippers to climbing areas - different pinch items (never a Fat Bar).  The best overall grips by far belong to the guys who train all around grip - the Grip Sport people.  Climbers have the best finger tips strength - and Strongmen best Fat Bar and heavy support strength.  All of which is pretty obvious by what each trains for.  I've had lots of construction tradesmen try grip with various results but all were generally fairly strong.  Also have had a couple "paper pushers" who had very strong hands - I think genetics like everything else.

• Like 4