BadhandBen’s training diary

Badhandben

Ok! Starting this and will add to it every now and then 

for the last 6 weeks I’ve been training grip in between normal gym sessions 3 times a week 

I’ve build straight past where I was able to bend up to in my previous bending days… and I’m very happy with that 

On Saturday, for the first time, Double over hand clicked somehow and I managed to bend 2 80D nails! 

anyway, training is bending first couple of warm up bends and then an attempt at something harder… I use Gods of Grip steel if that helps and the 80d nail is a 4.5 star bar. 

then over to gripper training where I work up to 5x5 on my 1.5 coc and then 3x3 braced 2 coc

Then a bit of forearm training with the “wringer” 

Couple questions…. If anyone’s willing to help? 

how do you warm up best for bending the steel?

if you wanted to build up to an 80d nail, how would you go about it?

Is there a rep/set ratio for building strength in your opinion? Or different? 

what’s a solid rep/set ratio for grippers?

thanks a lot everyone

C6654435-DA2C-4BBE-8EE8-AADC4E1E365D.jpeg

• Like 3

Strong! You really crushed those nails.

I checked GoG's website, and I can see that the 4.5 star nail is a 7mm nail ("NAIL 8" X 7MM - 4.5 STAR"), and somehow the page's title says 80d nail. That is incorrect (probably just an honest mistake). I'm telling you this because you might order 80d nails from somewhere, and you would be really surprised; 80d is 3/8" (9.5mm) x 8" (203mm). I attached a picture of an 80d nail next to a 7mm bar for reference. 

4 hours ago, Badhandben said:

how do you warm up best for bending the steel?

I think it's crucial to warm up the forearm and wrist for all styles of bending. For me, this includes super light wrist and reverse wrist curls, very light high rep grippers. Additionally, warming up the shoulders and chest helps as well. For double overhand, I would include some shoulder mobility exercises as well. 

if you wanted to build up to an 80d nail, how would you go about it?

This varies from person to person, but if I want to bend something hard, I bend at least 2 easier bars before attempting the hard one. 

Is there a rep/set ratio for building strength in your opinion?

Do you mean in general? 1-5 reps, but doubles and triples worked the best for me when I was doing powerlifting. 

what’s a solid rep/set ratio for grippers?

I really like singles, 3-4 sets (then maybe 1-2 sets of repping something). But some people swear by high volume.

80dvs7mm.JPG

Edited by matek

shame about the 80d, that’s probably the uk equivalent potentially but still a way to go before I get that official 80D then.

interesting about the warm up, I’ll do less warm up bars if I’m aiming to attempt something I’m future and see how it goes

great info, thanks dude 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Badhandben said:

shame about the 80d, that’s probably the uk equivalent potentially

It's not, that was a simple mistake. I told Laura about the problem and they have already changed it on the website. It's '8" Nail' now on the title page. 

9 hours ago, Badhandben said:

great info, thanks dude

No problem.👍

About progression: you can try normal CRS at 7mm or stainless 7mm, then if you feel comfortable enough, go for an 8mm bar. 

Edited by matek
  • Thanks 1

Ah cool! 

nice one for doing that!

I ordered a few more of the same nail…

my technique felt fantastic on those two so really want to master it at that length. 

I’ll look to getting my own hrs and cutting it down soon so I’ve got a load to train with, so thanks for that dude I’ll hopefully make my way up 

I think I’ve got to keep telling myself to stop chasing the next size up every time I go to bend…. I’ve just got a book of failed attempts 😂 

so just need to “train” rather than chase weight. 

all part of the process though! Just finding my feet in it all 

thanks very much for your help Matek

• Like 3

Nice bending man! Go slow and ease into it the first few months. I bent a 60d first time, got cocky and ended up getting bad tendonitis in both wrists in the supination motion and that cost me 6 months. 

I really got serious about bending in July, and i've taken my time, let callus build in the right spots, strengthen tendons and ligaments and work on technique because i've got other goals too.  

I started with suedes and i'm going back to them, last few months i've used Ironmind wraps and as i got stronger i used less folds with the same nails... Its really helped toughen my skin up. Now i'm going back with suedes and work on harder stock. 

One device I love is the Wrist Developer and talk about it too much, but its great for building the tendons and ligaments and warming up... Will it make you a better bender? Some say yes, some say no, but its great for warming up and its paid for itself by using less stock.    

I'm starting with DO tomorrow, i've never done it before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, been working on my technique a lot with double over hand

i’ve got a video here if anyone can give pointers, I managed to bend my first Gods of Grip goibgniu bars and it felt very nice… I’ve been struggling with this one for a while… but I think I engaged my back a lot more this time 

I also wrapped it TIGHT I didn’t realise how important that was until a few hours on YouTube 

anyway, please have a watch and if you can weigh in at all it would be great, as I’d love to start hitting the 5* bar they do and get my first cert! 

https://streamable.com/rblwqi

cheers all 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Badhandben said:

Ok, been working on my technique a lot with double over hand

i’ve got a video here if anyone can give pointers, I managed to bend my first Gods of Grip goibgniu bars and it felt very nice… I’ve been struggling with this one for a while… but I think I engaged my back a lot more this time 

I also wrapped it TIGHT I didn’t realise how important that was until a few hours on YouTube 

anyway, please have a watch and if you can weigh in at all it would be great, as I’d love to start hitting the 5* bar they do and get my first cert! 

https://streamable.com/rblwqi

cheers all 

Nice, powerful bend. 
If you haven't seen this short video, check it out, it will help you more than I could (I very rarely bend double overhand): 

• Like 3

Thanks for the info. Great video.

• Like 2