New Year Grip Goals?

AdriaanRobert96

So with the new year, we wanna make new gains in grip aswell.

What are your new year goals, things that you might want to improve upon😄?

• Like 1

I have some hopes of maybe getting back some of the strength I had once. I would like to close my #3 gripper again. I shouldn't say too much, don't want to jinx anything :D

If I feel it's possible I might try some other stuff as well. Time will tell, I think the next few months I will know for sure if it's possible or not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I have some hopes of maybe getting back some of the strength I had once. I would like to close my #3 gripper again. I shouldn't say too much, don't want to jinx anything :D

If I feel it's possible I might try some other stuff as well. Time will tell, I think the next few months I will know for sure if it's possible or not.

Oh that would be fun to see, get back in there bud💪🏽

I think you can do it, I’ll pray to the “grip gods”😆 for you!

Start slowly, listen to your body and you will be good😎

Goodluck pal!

• Like 1

Not sure if I will lift inch this year. But I’d like to think I have a good shot at levering 20lbs sledge. 

just those two and getting better at bending. But really my main goals are staying healthy strong and happy. Every else will come in time.

• Like 2

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Not sure if I will lift inch this year. But I’d like to think I have a good shot at levering 20lbs sledge. 

just those two and getting better at bending. But really my main goals are staying healthy strong and happy. Every else will come in time.

Love that!

I am sure you’ll manage, after all.. there’s 364 days left😆

I like the last part you mentioned health and happiness❤️

• Like 1

I have been in limbo for over a year, not really training at all because the one regular thing I did was train every week or two at a friend's house, but that ended when he became a dad (good for him!  but bad for training lol).

So the best goal would be to just get a routine again, anything regular.  I am going to be 54 in April and I absolutely do feel some decline, more in stamina and overall energy, not so much in strength, but something is going.  And of course you can't fight it off forever because we all die, but there is some control over how things progress and I'd like to get back into the driver's seat even if the train can't be stopped.  At least steer it a bit!

So if I can get myself back into some training, a good longshot goal would be to lift the Inch or get the crushed to dust certification.  Either one of those would be a tough feat because my best ever RT is 177 and I am sure I can't even do that now, so that's a lot of ground to cover.  But, I never trained RT or dumbbell lifts, as I always focused on grippers.

Other goals I could consider are (1) upping my reps on GHP 7 (I certed one rep), or if I make great progress on grippers, maybe maybe have a shot at a rep on a GHP 8.  MM3 seems too far of a reach.  If Matt Cannon does the 5-pound increment MMS certifications that were floated some time ago, I might work toward seeing how far I can get with those.  160 or 165 should be attainable, 170 a cool longshot; (2) bench 225.  I've done 200.  225 doesn't sound like much to most of you, especially for a guy who can close a 3, but I have a weird build and it might be tough for me to get to that number.  Should be attainable though; (3) 200 on Saxon 3-inch, Napalm 3-inch, or Euro.  I've pinched over 200 on Saxon 2 and 2.5-inch and Napalm 2-inch, but never on the Euro or 3-inch pinches; (4) do more with sledges.  I have a 6, and 8, and a 10, and I do OK on sledge for my size but nothing remarkable.  Face lever 16 would be a cool feat for me (can do 12), choke 8 would be good (can do 6), reverse 12 both hands would be good (can do 10 and maybe have gotten 12 with my stronger hand once).  These lifts also should be doable, if I train them.

It all comes back to whether I can get myself back to training.  Typically I need a place to go and people to train with.  I don't have a good place at home even to store equipment let alone use it, and my motivation levels are not good without others around me also doing same.  I think what I enjoy about grip, and training, is the socializing more than the strength.

SO:  overall goal is to train again, and regularly; longshot goals are crushed to dust and Inch; closer goals might be bench 225, pinch 200 on all implements, and up my lever numbers.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I have been in limbo for over a year, not really training at all because the one regular thing I did was train every week or two at a friend's house, but that ended when he became a dad (good for him!  but bad for training lol).

So the best goal would be to just get a routine again, anything regular.  I am going to be 54 in April and I absolutely do feel some decline, more in stamina and overall energy, not so much in strength, but something is going.  And of course you can't fight it off forever because we all die, but there is some control over how things progress and I'd like to get back into the driver's seat even if the train can't be stopped.  At least steer it a bit!

So if I can get myself back into some training, a good longshot goal would be to lift the Inch or get the crushed to dust certification.  Either one of those would be a tough feat because my best ever RT is 177 and I am sure I can't even do that now, so that's a lot of ground to cover.  But, I never trained RT or dumbbell lifts, as I always focused on grippers.

Other goals I could consider are (1) upping my reps on GHP 7 (I certed one rep), or if I make great progress on grippers, maybe maybe have a shot at a rep on a GHP 8.  MM3 seems too far of a reach.  If Matt Cannon does the 5-pound increment MMS certifications that were floated some time ago, I might work toward seeing how far I can get with those.  160 or 165 should be attainable, 170 a cool longshot; (2) bench 225.  I've done 200.  225 doesn't sound like much to most of you, especially for a guy who can close a 3, but I have a weird build and it might be tough for me to get to that number.  Should be attainable though; (3) 200 on Saxon 3-inch, Napalm 3-inch, or Euro.  I've pinched over 200 on Saxon 2 and 2.5-inch and Napalm 2-inch, but never on the Euro or 3-inch pinches; (4) do more with sledges.  I have a 6, and 8, and a 10, and I do OK on sledge for my size but nothing remarkable.  Face lever 16 would be a cool feat for me (can do 12), choke 8 would be good (can do 6), reverse 12 both hands would be good (can do 10 and maybe have gotten 12 with my stronger hand once).  These lifts also should be doable, if I train them.

It all comes back to whether I can get myself back to training.  Typically I need a place to go and people to train with.  I don't have a good place at home even to store equipment let alone use it, and my motivation levels are not good without others around me also doing same.  I think what I enjoy about grip, and training, is the socializing more than the strength.

SO:  overall goal is to train again, and regularly; longshot goals are crushed to dust and Inch; closer goals might be bench 225, pinch 200 on all implements, and up my lever numbers.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Oh wow, so in depth and I love that!

I myself am very introverted but I totally get training with others.. especially grip training is fun when done with more peers😄

I think you have some very interesting goals and I am rooting for you pal🤙🏽

I’d love to recommend you something that’s gonna help you “steer that train” a little better..

If not already, try to get at atleast 3 hours of cardio each week.

I do walking trice per week and all

of them are 1 hour long, I have this nice path through the woods that goes around a lake.

Cardio is underutilized, it helps with longevity and reduced the risk of all cause mortality by x5 :)

Not only that, it keeps you young for longer💪🏽

Let’s get em goals, feel free to

update us on how it’s going😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Love that!

I am sure you’ll manage, after all.. there’s 364 days left😆

I like the last part you mentioned health and happiness❤️

Thank you.... I don't know what my numbers will be in 364 days, but i do know I'll 364 days stronger.... or dead 🤣.... preferably the former.... and yes you are right about the cardio....Major heart problems in my family so I row 3 times a week, try to walk after work when its nice.

@Vinnie you got this... even if you dont have anyone to physically train with you have us.  Join a gym, buy some sledges do whatever it takes. If you got back into it 6 months ago think of where you'd be! You sell yourself short all the time, but you put up very good numbers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I spent the past several weeks filming literally dozens of crushed to dust certifications as I kept getting things flagged, the last one I submitted about a week ago I have not heard back about yet but I believe I fixed everything I was getting flagged for...so I may or may not get the cert, I don't know yet, but I have had enough of those lifts for a while and am going to go back to grippers. It's going to be an extremely busy year for me which in a way is good for grippers because I always get in a solid amount of recovery time.

But goals of mine are to certify GHP8, I at least can set it now but it will be some time before I fully close it, maybe certify more reps on GHP7 before that I don't know...I'm certified with 4 reps and have come millimeters from getting a 5th but always end up getting tapped out, and I've tried a few times for 5 reps but not often. Eventually I'll get around to doing MM1 & MM2 but I'm not in a rush, I still feel new to doing grippers higher than the coc3 territory so I will want to know that I can confidently hit those numbers regularly rather than only closing them when the stars align. I tested the other day and was only 1 mm off from my all time PR (GG6 173 with 38 mm block set) so I don't have a lot of catching up to do from where I left off. I was 1 mm off closing my HG350 with same rating as my GHP8 so I'm kind of using that as a gauge for my progress on GHP8 which just requires more setting distance. Also going ham on filed grippers this year.

I do want to make sure that I get certified on crushed to dust before I ever attempt coc3 cert (again...with the knowledge learned from first time around), so coc3 is very on the backburner for me, because CTD seems like the easier cert overall. The last time I got feedback on an attempt they said center your hand on the handle more and lockout fully with shoulders back and i submitted a new one with those fixed, I'm guessing they are just slow around the holidays.

I other than that don't really know. I can pinch 2 35's I guess 2 45's could be a goal for giggles. I already know I can lift the dinnie stones if and when I ever get the opportunity to lift the real ones. I don't plan on buying an inch dumbbell any time soon.

I like the GHP certs because my schedule is crazy 99% of the time so it's something I can work at on my own time and not have to be waiting for packages and coordinating when to do it on camera etc, for the time being.

• Like 3

My goal is #3.5 and ghp9 certified

First of all, I will try hard 3.5 ccs, ghp9 mms first.

But I think I've reached my limit😥

However, I plan to go as much as possible for a year.😁

• Like 3

My new years grip goal is to certify on the 3.5, I feel like thats on the cards for me if i train responsibly and don't go off program with crazy maxes

I would like to lift an inch dumbbell but finding one in australia is like skeet shooting with your eyes closed

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thank you.... I don't know what my numbers will be in 364 days, but i do know I'll 364 days stronger.... or dead 🤣.... preferably the former.... and yes you are right about the cardio....Major heart problems in my family so I row 3 times a week, try to walk after work when its nice.

@Vinnie you got this... even if you dont have anyone to physically train with you have us.  Join a gym, buy some sledges do whatever it takes. If you got back into it 6 months ago think of where you'd be! You sell yourself short all the time, but you put up very good numbers.

Awh man, well then I am truly rooting for you lad🥺❤️

You got this!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

My new years grip goal is to certify on the 3.5, I feel like thats on the cards for me if i train responsibly and don't go off program with crazy maxes

I would like to lift an inch dumbbell but finding one in australia is like skeet shooting with your eyes closed

Oh nice, then we’re two on the 3.5 😎 Goodluck lad, let me know how it goes😮💨

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seoyoon said:

My goal is #3.5 and ghp9 certified

First of all, I will try hard 3.5 ccs, ghp9 mms first.

But I think I've reached my limit😥

However, I plan to go as much as possible for a year.😁

Nah fam, I believe in you!

I wanna cert on the 3.5 this year aswell, so we can do this together😎

I need like 1-2 more months and I got the #3.5 :)

Imma keep you updated on my page💪🏽

You do so aswell, I’d love to see your progress.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Well I spent the past several weeks filming literally dozens of crushed to dust certifications as I kept getting things flagged, the last one I submitted about a week ago I have not heard back about yet but I believe I fixed everything I was getting flagged for...so I may or may not get the cert, I don't know yet, but I have had enough of those lifts for a while and am going to go back to grippers. It's going to be an extremely busy year for me which in a way is good for grippers because I always get in a solid amount of recovery time.

But goals of mine are to certify GHP8, I at least can set it now but it will be some time before I fully close it, maybe certify more reps on GHP7 before that I don't know...I'm certified with 4 reps and have come millimeters from getting a 5th but always end up getting tapped out, and I've tried a few times for 5 reps but not often. Eventually I'll get around to doing MM1 & MM2 but I'm not in a rush, I still feel new to doing grippers higher than the coc3 territory so I will want to know that I can confidently hit those numbers regularly rather than only closing them when the stars align. I tested the other day and was only 1 mm off from my all time PR (GG6 173 with 38 mm block set) so I don't have a lot of catching up to do from where I left off. I was 1 mm off closing my HG350 with same rating as my GHP8 so I'm kind of using that as a gauge for my progress on GHP8 which just requires more setting distance. Also going ham on filed grippers this year.

I do want to make sure that I get certified on crushed to dust before I ever attempt coc3 cert (again...with the knowledge learned from first time around), so coc3 is very on the backburner for me, because CTD seems like the easier cert overall. The last time I got feedback on an attempt they said center your hand on the handle more and lockout fully with shoulders back and i submitted a new one with those fixed, I'm guessing they are just slow around the holidays.

I other than that don't really know. I can pinch 2 35's I guess 2 45's could be a goal for giggles. I already know I can lift the dinnie stones if and when I ever get the opportunity to lift the real ones. I don't plan on buying an inch dumbbell any time soon.

I like the GHP certs because my schedule is crazy 99% of the time so it's something I can work at on my own time and not have to be waiting for packages and coordinating when to do it on camera etc, for the time being.

Ah man I love all this😮💨❤️

I wanna build a 2 45’s aswell as getting the #3.5 which is 1-2 months away (tops) and that’s with a wide set.. can’t do deep sets for some reason😵💫

Keep me updated🤙🏽

• Like 1

Oh!  Two 45s is a goal also.  I think I could hit that with effort.  I have done two 35s in each hand at once, and my right is always stronger, and I can do about 90 flask on a good day, so I am not terribly far off.

• Like 1

Also, to the guys who are looking to cert the 3.5:  good luck!  But have you certed the 3 yet?  If you are anywhere near getting the 3.5, you may as well "get on the board" with an easy cert that isn't easy to most.  Also Derek, if you are hitting 170 RGC with a 38-mm block, repping GHP7 with block, and almost getting GHP8 with block, then you would VERY easily crush MM1 and MM2 -- VERY easily.  Really should just do it.  They are like RGC 152 and 162, and the MM1 is a very easy set (MM2 not a terrible one but normal).  Just do it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't want too many goals, so I can really focus on the few that I have.

I wanna one-arm hang for 1 minute on both left and right, I wanna get certified on the #3 & I wanna do the crushed to dust certification aswell.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Also, to the guys who are looking to cert the 3.5:  good luck!  But have you certed the 3 yet?  If you are anywhere near getting the 3.5, you may as well "get on the board" with an easy cert that isn't easy to most.  Also Derek, if you are hitting 170 RGC with a 38-mm block, repping GHP7 with block, and almost getting GHP8 with block, then you would VERY easily crush MM1 and MM2 -- VERY easily.  Really should just do it.  They are like RGC 152 and 162, and the MM1 is a very easy set (MM2 not a terrible one but normal).  Just do it!

Thanks pal, yeah I got my cert on YT but not official and all that.

Got it without setting it aswell, good enough for me😅

The #3.5 is less than 0.5cm away for me from a wide set.

So I am pretty confident I’ll cert it this year, took me a total of 4 months and a little to get this close to the #3.5.

26 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

The 3.5 is tough. I have 3 of them. 159 (I've done 38 mm), 167 (I've done MMS), 173 (I've done choked).

I would still not compare my grip genie pr to 19 mm grippers. It's just not equivalent. My official 38 mm block set PR I can honestly say is still just 163, until proven otherwise. I have got a lot closer to HG350 with a block than I have GHP8. Yes I know MM1 & MM2 are well within my reach, but consistency is a big thing. The other day when I started grippers again after about 6 weeks of rolling thunder I couldn't close a 152, not from lack of strength, but from being so unfamiliar with something I wasn't practicing, now 1 workout later I'm back to closing standard cobalt, almost my filed cobalt, my light 3.5, 1 mm away from gg6, etc. I have to do grippers frequently to remember how to do them, otherwise I can get off.

I still technically need to hit the goal of 38 mm block setting the 167 3.5 rather than skipping over it and trying to block set 19 mm grippers in the 170's. I should be taking baby steps.

I just don't want to waste my money or my/anyone's time to attempt MM1 unprepared for it. I still have not done that many closes overall in the high 150's until recently, and I would like it to be as familiar to me as it was for MM0...I don't wanna attempt it where if a butterfly landed on it it would become too heavy to get the close that day

Also as far as your CTD goal, I know you don't really lift otherwise, but I would consider 200 on RT as far as upper back/scapular muscle strength to be equivalent to deadlifting 400. It is much more than a grip test. The grip is the easy part. You really need the upper back strength (rhomboids, neck muscles, lats) to keep your scapula in one place whileh lifting 200 with one hand. Maybe you could do a test run with a small commercial sized rolling handle to see where you are at regarding all the non-grip strength aspects of it. IM wants to see very specific things like a full shoulders back and hips extended lockout, it would just suck to see you get to 200 on grip and then go through all the same issues I did/am as it can be an annoying lift to have to keep redoing and refilming to try to have it look just right enough to get certified. I also am pretty sure you're slightly less height than I am, so I would be interested to see how you would manage with the fixed handle height as well, as we start the lift inches from where it will be locked out.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I don't want too many goals, so I can really focus on the few that I have.

I wanna one-arm hang for 1 minute on both left and right, I wanna get certified on the #3 & I wanna do the crushed to dust certification aswell.

Yep, very true!

I feel that having too many goals interferes, goodluck pal😎

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

The 3.5 is tough. I have 3 of them. 159 (I've done 38 mm), 167 (I've done MMS), 173 (I've done choked).

I would still not compare my grip genie pr to 19 mm grippers. It's just not equivalent. My official 38 mm block set PR I can honestly say is still just 163, until proven otherwise. I have got a lot closer to HG350 with a block than I have GHP8. Yes I know MM1 & MM2 are well within my reach, but consistency is a big thing. The other day when I started grippers again after about 6 weeks of rolling thunder I couldn't close a 152, not from lack of strength, but from being so unfamiliar with something I wasn't practicing, now 1 workout later I'm back to closing standard cobalt, almost my filed cobalt, my light 3.5, 1 mm away from gg6, etc. I have to do grippers frequently to remember how to do them, otherwise I can get off.

I still technically need to hit the goal of 38 mm block setting the 167 3.5 rather than skipping over it and trying to block set 19 mm grippers in the 170's. I should be taking baby steps.

I just don't want to waste my money or my/anyone's time to attempt MM1 unprepared for it. I still have not done that many closes overall in the high 150's until recently, and I would like it to be as familiar to me as it was for MM0...I don't wanna attempt it where if a butterfly landed on it it would become too heavy to get the close that day

Also as far as your CTD goal, I know you don't really lift otherwise, but I would consider 200 on RT as far as upper back/scapular muscle strength to be equivalent to deadlifting 400. It is much more than a grip test. The grip is the easy part. You really need the upper back strength (rhomboids, neck muscles, lats) to keep your scapula in one place whileh lifting 200 with one hand. Maybe you could do a test run with a small commercial sized rolling handle to see where you are at regarding all the non-grip strength aspects of it. IM wants to see very specific things like a full shoulders back and hips extended lockout, it would just suck to see you get to 200 on grip and then go through all the same issues I did/am as it can be an annoying lift to have to keep redoing and refilming to try to have it look just right enough to get certified. I also am pretty sure you're slightly less height than I am, so I would be interested to see how you would manage with the fixed handle height as well, as we start the lift inches from where it will be locked out.

I have gotten 235 to lockout one-hand deadlifting an olympic barbell.  I am not sure 200 will be the issue for me, but maybe.  I am not very close on the grip though.  I will film myself doing my max on a RT sometime soon and you can tell me what I should do differently.  I doubt my form is good, but since I am not close to 200, I have not really worried yet about the form.  I am sure I should start!

• Like 1

@Vinnie I got word from Ironmind today that my rolling thunder lift finally passes all their standards, but in my last full CTD attempt my camera light reflected too much off the #2 gripper making it hard to read and I rushed holding the hub because I was just sick of filming 40 something attempts. So it is ironic that the easy parts are what I got flagged on. But now that I know that the body mechanics I use to do the lift are acceptable and the other parts are easy I am going to film one last attempt later this week. I would be surprised if anyone has ever filmed more attempts than I have for this, so within a week I am hoping to finally call the cert done. Someone showed me a trick to get the gripper handle to show clearly..I usually don't have an issue during regular training but I take my time, & CTD has a 3 minute mark. Usually I am done around 2 minutes so I really shouldn't be worrying about it that much, but I will practice getting it to show clearly before filming my last attempt. I had already moved on to gripper focus again but one more CTD session shouldn't throw me off grippers that much. But yeah I will probably be the person to talk to in the future as far as knowing what they are looking for since I've had so many attempts flagged for differenet things that I know what they are looking for vs not now.

• Like 2

100 pounds on the 3x4 block 

mms 185 or better gripper 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

100 pounds on the 3x4 block 

mms 185 or better gripper 

Sounds like a lot of fun this year then😄

What’s 185 and up, a heavy #3.5 I assume?