Arm and shoulder unbalanced strenght

CamillaSC

Hi to everyone, I ask your advice on my training problem. I've always been playing tennis, started training with weights in the last 3 years and also tried armwrestling in the last year. Unfortunately when I was younger I injured my left wrist and never fully recovered, with the result that I always try to use only my right arm when I can.

Since I started armwrestling I noticed very poor result with my left side and overall  that my whole right side muscles are way bigger and stronger than my left.

in the pics below I posted some highlights of arms, delts and shoulder, with the following questions:

- is the difference noticeable or it's just me that see it?

- if it's so, is it at a level I should take some actions to solve?

- any training suggestion, taking into account that I can't workout  that much with my left arm...

Link to album:  https://ibb.co/album/N6WwB0

Thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CamillaSC said:

Hi to everyone, I ask your advice on my training problem. I've always been playing tennis, started training with weights in the last 3 years and also tried armwrestling in the last year. Unfortunately when I was younger I injured my left wrist and never fully recovered, with the result that I always try to use only my right arm when I can.

Since I started armwrestling I noticed very poor result with my left side and overall  that my whole right side muscles are way bigger and stronger than my left.

in the pics below I posted some highlights of arms, delts and shoulder, with the following questions:

- is the difference noticeable or it's just me that see it?

- if it's so, is it at a level I should take some actions to solve?

- any training suggestion, taking into account that I can't workout  that much with my left arm...

Link to album:  https://ibb.co/album/N6WwB0

Thank you

Humans aren't symmetrical to begin with so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

You could get a dexa scan if you want confirmation or you could take measurements.

I'd say focusing on multi joint movements(compounds) is your best bet because contrary to what most people believe single joint movements often exacerbate the imbalance problem.

Keep doing what you're doing with armwrestling and focus on multi-joint movements.(don't train your biceps,triceps and shoulders unilaterally)

The imbalance (if there even is one in the first place) should correct itself after a while.

I hope this helps.

Edited by DevilErik

Everybody has sole imbalance, they can never be removed but you should be striving towards getting closer as that prevents a lot of joint issues down the road. 

The way incorrect these is just to stick with unilateral exercises, the key being you start with the weak side and whatever weight/reps you can do just copy that with the strong side. Eventually they will come closer to balance and then you can switch back to typical bilateral movements. 

You also must strengthen your left wrist, if it was injured it may never get perfect but there's a lot of improvement to be made, to can't just ignore an injury and hope for improvement, it can be strengthened progressively just like all other body parts. 

Yeah your right side is noticeably hypertrophied compared to your left, but I probably wouldn't have noticed unless you brought it up first, because I had to specifically look for it. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Have you seen any type of doctor about your left wrist? Do you know exactly what the problem with it is?

Many sports cause uneven development - shot and discus throwers come immediately to mind.  Over a lifetime it's probably a good idea to address these before they cause even more trouble.  A certain amount of imbalance will probably not cause too many issues but certainly strive for better at all times.  Any and all "injuries" need addressed as they are a prime cause of imbalances as well as the local issues they cause.  Start with a doctor and get an exact diagnosis on the wrist - then see a good physical therapist and work hard at rehab.