What’s the best gripper CHOKER?

AdriaanRobert96

So easily put, I’d love to get into some MMS closes with a choker on my #3.5 just to shake things up a bit and try something new.

I am less than 1cm off on the #3.5 which took me exactly 4 months in total.

I’d seen a variety of chokers but the one that stood out the most to me were the heavy duty adjustable hose clamps.

Although I am afraid they wont hold down a #3.5 and snap, I’d really appreciate not getting hurt.

Any advice is welcome😊

• Like 1

Hose clamps do very well. I personally haven’t broke one and that goes up to choker attempts with a 211 COC 4 and the clamp was on the gripper for a while with no issue. Go to your local hardware store and get one with thicker gage metal and you’ll be good to go

edit- the location to clamp is on the top of the handles by the spring not at the bottom by the legs - you will not have issue with this method

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Cannon has a bunch with build in chokers that should be in your range. 

Screenshot_20221225-195522.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I had Grippers in hose clamp chokers in Two different Gripmas Carol contests - there were zero issues.    227# was the heaviest we ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Hose clamps do very well. I personally haven’t broke one and that goes up to choker attempts with a 211 COC 4 and the clamp was on the gripper for a while with no issue. Go to your local hardware store and get one with thicker gage metal and you’ll be good to go

edit- the location to clamp is on the top of the handles by the spring not at the bottom by the legs - you will not have issue with this method

Oh alright then, relieved to know😅Was a bit worried but I should be good then.

Thank you very much, can’t wait to clash that #3.5😎

Maybe one more month tops😄

6 hours ago, stranger said:

@Cannon has a bunch with build in chokers that should be in your range. 

Screenshot_20221225-195522.png

Will definitely check this out, I think I might already have actually😆

Took me a while to understand how some people progressed on grippers so fast.

Rated grippers with small RGC jumps😅

I only have 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and 4 so I can’t do small jumps🥲

6 hours ago, climber511 said:

I had Grippers in hose clamp chokers in Two different Gripmas Carol contests - there were zero issues.    227# was the heaviest we ever had.

Phew, alright then.. no need to snap myself up I guess😂

I was worried I might hurt my hand if it snaps, I’d really hate getting set back😮💨

My experience is certainly no guarantee but for a while back in the day lots of people were doing this and I didn't hear of any breaking.  Buy heavy duty ones and have fun!

Edited by climber511
  • Thanks 1

IME... the hose clamp whilst on the gripper tends to slide around during the concentric and thus as a result the skin tends to get caught between the gripper and the hose clamp during the eccentric. I don't think that I've ever heard of anyone else even mentioning this issue. Anyone have any idea of how to rectify it?

Edited by hellswindstaff

What they don't tell you also is how much of a pain in the balls the hose clamps actually are to get on there, Unless you have an impact wrench or a decent drill you're gonna have to be screwdrivering it on there manually, Which means you actually have to squeeze the gripper to make enough space to tighten it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

What they don't tell you also is how much of a pain in the balls the hose clamps actually are to get on there, Unless you have an impact wrench or a decent drill you're gonna have to be screwdrivering it on there manually, Which means you actually have to squeeze the gripper to make enough space to tighten it

Just use a vice - put a little leather around the handles to pad them - squeeze them together - easy peasy.

• Like 1

Me looking around my garage for the vice i don't ownjohn travolta GIF

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Me looking around my garage for the vice i don't ownjohn travolta GIF

i've got a few vices, alcohol, cigars, red meat ,coffee...  Which one do you want? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have choked upto COC4 & GHP9 with these hose clamps and had no issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MPFLNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

You do need some type of vice to close the gripper so you can set it in place and tighten it accordingly. I recommend putting a strip of athletic tape that wraps around twice (I slice the tape in half length wise to make thinner strips). A 6 inch piece is good to wrap around the handle a couple times. Once the choker is in place you can also put tape over it if you really want. They work very well for MMS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what happened with my post with all the blank space - but if a moderator could fix it that would be great

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, hellswindstaff said:

IME... the hose clamp whilst on the gripper tends to slide around during the concentric and thus as a result the skin tends to get caught between the gripper and the hose clamp during the eccentric. I don't think that I've ever heard of anyone else even mentioning this issue. Anyone have any idea of how to rectify it?

When I used hose clamps, I just put gorilla tape over the clamp part. No moving around or skin getting caught. Attached an older picture of mine to demonstrate (taped below the clamp as well to protect the aluminum).

One alternative to using hose clamps is using a washer. Here are my notes on this (posted it to the Equipment subforum a few months ago). One thing to note is that choking to the same width using a hose clamp (at the top of the handles) and a washer (at the spring) is not the same. I would say to get the same "effective range" as with a clamp, the washer needs to be set to +3-4mm wider. This is just how torsion springs work. The higher you choke, the easier the start will be. In this aspect, the best is Cannon's/Aaron Corcorran's solution. If the width is the same, that will be the hardest to start among the three solutions (given that your pinky doesn't slip down to the nut, essentially extending the gripper, which would make it easier). Btw one example of this is the left gripper in the picture. 

20220311.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to use hose clamps but stopped when one of them just flyed off once. Which scared the crap out of me :D

The big washer method looks neat but I've never tried it.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Oh I get that, but I will just use a drill and I might have someone help me aswell😆

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I used to use hose clamps but stopped when one of them just flyed off once. Which scared the crap out of me :D

The big washer method looks neat but I've never tried it.

I thought about adding some small zip ties on the top and bottom to fix the sliding issue😅

15 hours ago, matek said:

When I used hose clamps, I just put gorilla tape over the clamp part. No moving around or skin getting caught. Attached an older picture of mine to demonstrate (taped below the clamp as well to protect the aluminum).

One alternative to using hose clamps is using a washer. Here are my notes on this (posted it to the Equipment subforum a few months ago). One thing to note is that choking to the same width using a hose clamp (at the top of the handles) and a washer (at the spring) is not the same. I would say to get the same "effective range" as with a clamp, the washer needs to be set to +3-4mm wider. This is just how torsion springs work. The higher you choke, the easier the start will be. In this aspect, the best is Cannon's/Aaron Corcorran's solution. If the width is the same, that will be the hardest to start among the three solutions (given that your pinky doesn't slip down to the nut, essentially extending the gripper, which would make it easier). Btw one example of this is the left gripper in the picture. 

20220311.jpg

Oh wow, love in depth explanation and the pictures aswell!

Makes it easier to understand how it should look, also a great idea with the tape.. I’d hate to pinch my hand😂

Thanks a lot, vey informative!

• Like 1

So I am not sure what hose clamps I should’ve gotten but this is what I could find.. hope they hold🥺

image.thumb.jpg.a9075c819c73b0e8080f6540bf5235a8.jpg

10 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So I am not sure what hose clamps I should’ve gotten but this is what I could find.. hope they hold🥺

image.thumb.jpg.a9075c819c73b0e8080f6540bf5235a8.jpg

I could be very wrong, but those dont look  very rugged to me. 

• Sad 1

When i was training chokers for the brief time that i was i went out and bought titanium hose clamps you'd see used on 1000+ horsepower boosted applications, They usually have a dark bluish hue to them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I could be very wrong, but those dont look  very rugged to me. 

That’s what I was thinking, I’ll let ya’ll know on the weekend when after my workout😅

21 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

When i was training chokers for the brief time that i was i went out and bought titanium hose clamps you'd see used on 1000+ horsepower boosted applications, They usually have a dark bluish hue to them

Will be on the lookout for that, thanks😊