Mastery Of Hand Strength - Quick Question

ianders1

I have ordered the book and it will be here on Monday, but I wanted to go ahead and buy some of the tools I need, other than some of the stuff from Ironmind.

I know I'd like (a, some) sledgehammers and a bucket and some sand, but I'm not sure what else he recommends to use. Also, is there anything specifically for the extensors - I think the imbalance might be part of my hand problems.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Buy some hex-head dumbells and make block weights! These will do more for total hand strength than anything else. Start with a 50lb dumbell (2x25s), and then buy bigger ones as you progress. It costs a bit of money, but it is VERY worth it.

When you get the book, look how much emphasis JB places on block weights. He speaks of them higher than anything else.

Benders exactly right on. If you find the 25lb block too heavy for tossin, cleans, and the like...get a 40lb dumbell. You should be able to jump right into all the excersizes with 20lb blocks.

The bucket of sand/rice will work the extensors. You can also use resistance from your other hand or use rubberbands. I'd also recommend doing the ball/shot rotation.

-HH

After the block weights and the sledge, I'd say get the GripMaster's Manual also. JB puts an emphasis on strengthing the entire hand, especially the last two fingers that seem to get underemphasized in training too often.

Athletic tape too. I do sledge work after grippers, and a lot of the times my grip would be too shot to hold on to a sledge, it'd slip right out. A few layers of athletic tape took care of that and let me focus on my wrists. Personal preference, but give it some thought.

bender, Hammerhead, and nrw125,

Thank you guys for your insightful responses - I'll definitely look into getting some blocks to lift. How do you cut them, though - with a hacksaw?

Also, I ordered JB's dexterity balls and course along with the book, and I think next I'll spring for the Olympic Loading Pin, Outer Loops, and Rolling Thunder, and the GripMaster's Manual. Of course, I'll have to see how my funds are doing. At least my wife doesn't think I'm crazy - yet.

nrw125:

I've noticed my last two fingers are quite a bit weaker than the rest, and other than finger walking with plates - what do recommend to strengthen them?

Cutting the dumbbells is a work out in itself, if you spend 15 minutes with a hacksaw. Plasmatorches cut this time by some factor of 1,000. Personally, I like the hacksaw.

I'd say the Outer Loops, and Rolling Thunder arn't very nesessary training tools. An opinion of course, but some peoples hands just don't work with the loops, and revolving thick bar isn't the best all around grip tool.

The last two fingers are key to total hand strength, especially the ring finger. I've found that block weights really force the ring finger to squeze hard, and time spent pinching with just the last two fingers will be time well spent.

bender,

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to have some honest information about equipment - especially when you're just starting out. I don't have a ton of money, and I'm definitely going to check out some places this weekend for some dumbells. I think there are some used sports stores and the like around here.

And oh, I'll definitely be using a hacksaw!

Thanks again.

A new blade can "cut" that 15minutes down to even less time. I think someone alos mentioned oiing the blade as well? Donno about that one as I've never tried it.

Get a pair of wire cutters and some wire to cut. I find this can be harder then training on the ol grippers!!

Jon@han

A little 3in1 oil on the hacksaw blade will give a smoother cut.

I cut up 3 CAP Hex bells last night.

Good luck!

T

Make your own thickbars!

Make your own pinchblocks!

Find a jar for jar lifting! Extensors (it will be in MOHS)

Make your own wristroller!

If you're short on funds, there is almost nothing that you cannot make for yourself.

Buy a sledge handle and duct tape. Tape whatever weights you want for your leverage lifts, as well as for the finger walking exercise.

Get a 3 foot length of PVC (2 inch handle), drill A hole in the center for a length of rope and you have a wrist roller.

Pick up a glass jar that you brew ice tea in, add sand, and lift with your hand inside the lip of the jar for your extensors.

Guys,

Thanks for all of the great advice - I went to Sports Authority today to pick up some fishing gear and saw that their plates and dumbells were 1/2 off, so I bought 10 and 25 lb olympic plates, and a 50lb hex dumbell. I then went across the street and got a hacksaw and an 8lb sledge at Home Depot.

Here are my very first blobs - I guess now I can get serious about my grip training - and the book and stuff will be here tomorrow!

1stblobs.jpg

Ok, IMG tag doesn't work, look HERE

Sand, buckets and iced tea jar on my list, next.

Thanks again. :bow

Edited by ianders1

I hope that I got a good weight - I was able to pick up the blobs with both my left and right hands, one hand at a time, cold, and without chalk, but only about 6-8 inches off the ground for about 10 seconds.

Is that too heavy?

Edited by ianders1

Not at all. Strength with block weights will jump fast. Start with what you can do, and then add time and different movements. As soon as your block weights get too easy, buy a dumbell 10lbs heavier, and make new ones.

Personaly, I only train with lifts around 1 to 3 seconds with max effort. When it gets too easy and you can hold it longer, use less fingers until you are doing 2 finger holds.

Here's my .02 on block weights. When you're reducing the number of fingers used, remove the index and middle finger from the block. Concentrating on the ring and pinkie is key.

Concentrating on the ring and pinkie is key.

Absolutly! :rock

For a few bucks you can make all kinds of pinch implements, just run by Home Depot or Lowes. I took a peice of PVC, 3" diameter by maybe 3 wide, drilled two holes to hang chains. For the cost of PVC, a couple feet of chain, and 2 carabiners, I've got a hell of a pinch implement. Also, you can pick up hockey pucks at Sports Authority for $1 a peice, get two, and do a straphold between them, using just your pinky or ring finger. Hope this helps. But the hardware store for a grip trainee is like a kid in a candystore.

I've yet to try work with hocky pucks but I knew when I first saw them they would be great. You can also make a hub impliment with an eye bolt.

-HH

I've only skimmed this thread so I may have missed this but...

I'd get the book and read it first before you go buy stuff. See what interests you in the book and then go get some training gear. Reading it for yourself first will surely have you thinking about everything you have in your dwelling already and you may be able to use some of it without having to go out and purchase items.

That said, you can never go wrong by getting some block weights or blobs now.

BC.

How about the close the gap straps!Do many of you grip masters own the ones that ironmind sells?Are they worth the money or should I make my own?

make your own. They're neat but not worth the $$ when you've got an old belt or tow strap that works just as wel.