Heavy Grips?

Bill Piche

Try clamping the gripper spring in a vise. Then using vise grip locking pliers, and something to protect the knurling twist off the handles. Clean out the handle holes thoroughly, and if need be do some drilling to help you to reset the handles evenly and at the desired depth.

When I took my trainer apart, I just clamped one handle into the vice and twisted the rest of the gripper (grabbing it by the spring) back and forth with my hands. It broke loose of the epoxy fairly quickly and I had both handles out within a couple minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the full set of HG. some of the grippers are really wide, some really narrow. My 300 is easier then my easiest three, not by much though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my collection set of heavy grips, and for the price I think they are decent quality. In my opinion they are a little inconsistant in their strength levels.

heavy grip 100= harder than trainer

heavy grip 150=hard #1, like a 1.3

heavy grip 200= easy #2, like a 1.8

heavy grip 250=very easy #3, like a 2.3

heavy grip 300= easy #3, like a 2.8

Like I said I like mine.

100 is easier then my trainer.

150 is a #1.

200 is easier then my master.

250 is like a 2.3

300 is easier then my easiest #3.

Are some wide and others narrow?

• 1 month later...

Yep, again and again. So many observations about gripper variability and manufacturing error. As a group we should push on manufacturers to publish their manufacturing tolerances as well as make the devices with tighter tolerances. Would you buy a gripper if a manufacturer, up front, stated that handle set could be asymmetrical by as much as 1/4", sweep angle could be off by as much as 2 degrees, etc., and the accumulated "force to close" error could be off 15%? I wouldn't and that is probably why most manufacturers do not publish these numbers. If we do not push back, then we will end up spending more $s than necessary on less than acceptable equipment.

Yep, again and again. So many observations about gripper variability and manufacturing error. As a group we should push on manufacturers to publish their manufacturing tolerances as well as make the devices with tighter tolerances. Would you buy a gripper if a manufacturer, up front, stated that handle set could be asymmetrical by as much as 1/4", sweep angle could be off by as much as 2 degrees, etc., and the accumulated "force to close" error could be off 15%? I wouldn't and that is probably why most manufacturers do not publish these numbers. If we do not push back, then we will end up spending more $s than necessary on less than acceptable equipment.

It amounts to "you get what you pay for". Grip is a niche market, we pay $15-$25 for a torsion spring gripper. I am quite pleased to have a reliable training tool that costs me less than taking the family to McDonalds. These are not precision instruments, I don't even think you could consider them to be mass produced. The annual volume for all producers put together is probably less than 30,000 units (just a guess).

Hypothetically speaking, say there are 7000 IM #3's produced in a given year (probably a bit high). I am not a process engineer or invloved in the quality control industry but I do know that brining the "force to close" error percentage down even by half would add a SUBSTANTIAL cost to each gripper. The grip community may pay the increased price, but it raises the bar for the newbie and creates a barrier to entry. It would likely have a negative impact on the growth of grip.

There are alternatives. You can pay to have your grippers created by an artisan such as RB. But I would guess the problems with "force to close" would be similar. True, each gripper is a work of art, but are they identical year after year, I don't think so. You could also pay to have PDA season and test your gripper so you would know the exact "force to close" for your gripper but that number would be nearly meaningless to everyone but you.

The MM certification program allows everyone to gauge their abiliites based on a known gripper, similar to the use of certified weight plates for competition.

Everything has a cost.