Heavy Grips?

Bill Piche

I think Warren Tetting told me something about these. Wonder if anyone has them?

Lifetime warranty. Money back if not satisfied. Not much of a risk if the grippers turnout to be poor. There might even be some in between grppers to progress with.

I think the grippers are made in China and are sold from Canada.

The springs are wound opposite of the COC grippers (like the Lemley) -good for leftys.

They want to eventually come out with the "GRIPPER KING"gripper, a monster spring with 1" thick handles. :yikes

I have the two easiest. They are narrow set, with a wire choker. They are left handed, chrome plated, and both are poorly set and crooked. The life time guarentee is a joke. The are a fun novelty to add to the growing collection, but are generaly not-that-great. I havn't played with the 300, but with the narrow set, it could be an OK gripper. Still, heavy grippers with chrome springs have proven to be less than safe...

They are narrow set, with a wire choker. They are left handed, chrome plated, and both are poorly set and crooked. The life time guarentee is a joke. The are a fun novelty to add to the growing collection, but are generaly not-that-great. I havn't played with the 300, but with the narrow set, it could be an OK gripper. Still, heavy grippers with chrome springs have proven to be less than safe...

Bender,

I think they must have re-designed the grippers. If you take a look at the website it appears that the grippers offered are black spring steel not chrome. It is kind of tough to tell but it also seems that they may now be right handed. These guys have done very little to make things clear, they have pictures of chrome spring/chokered grippers as decorations on a page selling what appears to be grippers very similar to COC or Tetting grippers.

So has anyone who ordered from these folks received their grippers? Are the pictures in Monster Muscle Magazine any clearer than the ones on the website?

I can't remember see a more confusing web page about a grip product. Two very different styles of grippers. And I love the bit with the hand closing a gripper, right off Wieghtlifters Warehouse. What is that? Do I see a gripper Warren Tetting made on this page?

-HH

I think they must have re-designed the grippers. If you take a look at the website it appears that the grippers offered are black spring steel not chrome.

Wow. You're right. The ones I have are the silver ones with the chokers shown at the top of the screen. I didn't know they changed them... Odd. :mellow

The grippers they are selling now are the black springed models. They are wound the same way as COC'c.

Just got my full set (for The Collection).

Conclusion: Not really worth it at all.

Every single one (5 total) had mismatched handle depth. The 150's handles had a full 1/2 inch difference in depth. Besides that, I guess the spring quality is just fine. If I could tear the handles off and re-set them, they'd be perfect.

100 = easy trainer, the easiest gripper I've ever tried.

150 = easy 1

200 = normal 2

250 = very easy 3

300 = BB Elite

I'd say the 250 would be a good training tool befor the #3, and the 300 would be a good training tool after the #3. Besides that, they are less than admirable in their quality control.

I am now organizing a full global boycott of this company and am hireing mercenaries to smite the owners. WHO'S WITH ME!!! :laugh

No... The bigger grippers are cool, and are viable training tools... if the handles match...

I recieved the HG 300 yesterday and I am quite pleased with it. Unfortunately my gripper also had mismatched handle depth, but I am not really bothered about it, it makes the gripper sort of BTR, for free :cool

Besides the small handle error the gripper looks good, imo. Good spring, very good knurling and cool stamps on the inside of the handles. Handle width is about 3 inches. The HG300 has a little bigger wire size than the Elite, but is not stronger, or weaker, than my Elite.

The guy who certified me on the 3 had a single stamped #3 (circa 98) that had a mismatched handle. The dogleg handle was set 1/4" deeper shorter than the other handle!

How does one go about disolving the lock-tight / crazy glue on a Heavy-Grip handle? Some of these grippers are useless if I can't find a way to re-set the handles. As of now, i'm thinking of just grinding or sawing the end off to even them out.

How does one go about disolving the lock-tight / crazy glue on a Heavy-Grip handle? Some of these grippers are useless if I can't find a way to re-set the handles. As of now, i'm thinking of just grinding or sawing the end off to even them out.

Do you have access to a vice? If so try clamping the off handle tight in the

vice or whichever handle you want to change. Be sure to wrap the handle

in a tough material like leather ( this will protect the knurling).

I would clamp the handle in the edge of the vice jaws about in the middle

or upper 1/3 of the handle. The other handle will free hang outside the vice.

Take a metal rod of maybe 18 inches or longer and with a diameter that will

slide freely inside the spring coil. 3/4 inch cold rolled would probably fit.

Split the rod equal distance on each side of the spring. The rod will

now become your handles

Grab the rod and and torque it by pushing with one hand and pulling with

the other. Go easy at first in one direction and then reverse it back the

other way. Continue torquing back and forth and applying harder pressure

to the rod. Going easy at first will heat up the surface bond of the epoxy and

hopefuly break it loose. I am sure the spring legs are not to deep in the handle.

Keep an eye on the spring leg at the point it enters the handle to make sure

it does not start to twist upon itself. If it does , then you need to stop. :ohmy

I would only try torquing in each direction for a few seconds at first and

not one wham bam all at once shot

Good technqiue. I'll try it at my Dad's house over X-mas.

Are there any products that will safely loosen up the adhesive?

You could also try a propane torch. Both Epoxy and J-B weld break down under heat (aproximately 500 F). This temp is lower than the melting point of most aluminum alloys and should not be high enough to change the temper of the spring.

You would want to do this in a well ventilated area because of the potential for fumes as the adhesive degrades. If you only need to make a minor adjustment to one leg of the gripper you can always heat that handle and tap it on a hard surface to set it a bit deeper. Heat the handle slowly and evenly.

The tough part would be judging when the handles are set correctly since it is difficult to squeeze while one handle is hot! :D

Edit:

I don't know that you will be able to find a solvent. The parts are likely machined to pretty close tolerances and if other grippers are any indication the spring is about 2/3 of the way through the handle.

Edited by GordonV

Good technqiue. I'll try it at my Dad's house over X-mas.

Are there any products that will safely loosen up the adhesive?

None that I am aware of.. Anyway how would you get it inside the handle

to dissolve the adhesive? :)

You can take a propane torch (you can get these at Home Depot)

and preheat the handle for a few minutes or hang the the handle inside

a pot of boiling water and let the other handle hang outside the pot. Kinda

let the gripper stradle the edge of the pot. The heat will conduct to the

adhesive and soften it up..

The melting point of aluminum is about 1200-1400 degrees F

Another point to consider is that maybe the holes that were drilled for

each spring leg may not be exact either. In that case you can either

drill the shorter hole down to match the longer hole or shorten the

longer hole to match the shorter hole with filler