Going a Little Too Far Maybe? Discuss? Brian Shaw's New Strongman Event!

Bill Piche

I'm pretty sure Brian Shaw is literally the Incredible Hulk.  Thats my thought.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I believe this is exactly in line with the performing strongman tradition. Shaw could have leg pressed 1 ton but only a few people would have understood just how hard that is. Leg press a car though, and now you are doing what no one has ever done with a commodity everyone has experience with. My 2 cents: He is an innovator in a long proud tradition.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 5:40 AM, Wannagrip said:

What are your thoughts!?

My thoughts? I prefer one of the few successful stunts in the early scene in the movie “Strongman”. Stanless Steel under a 10,000 pound rack truck, unrehearsed, raw, drug free, performing to a blue collar crowd in a parking lot. Laying it all on the line, you are  wondering if he is going to kill himself. Sure the tires only go enough off the ground to get a piece of paper under them, but wow! It reminds me of retired Cowboy Bullfighter Rob Smets, aka The Kamikaze Kid, an adrenaline rush just watching him.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

I'm all for it, I loved the original strongman with the crazy random assortment of objects not normally used for training. The lifts for awhile have become too standardized, if I want to watch standardized strength feats that's what powerlifting is for. Strongman was always supposed to be a little silly and showy. 

• Like 2

I just reread The Mighty Atom book.  The things Joe did were certainly different and very crazy - coming up with something to match the feats he did is going to be difficult.  That said I think it's cool what Brian's doing.  I don't know if it's possible to duplicate the old vaudeville atmosphere on social media or not but when so much has been done already - it's going to be hard to come up with new things that impress.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

My thoughts? I prefer one of the few successful stunts in the early scene in the movie “Strongman”. Stanless Steel under a 10,000 pound rack truck, unrehearsed, raw, drug free, performing to a blue collar crowd in a parking lot. Laying it all on the line, you are  wondering if he is going to kill himself. Sure the tires only go enough off the ground to get a piece of paper under them, but wow! It reminds me of retired Cowboy Bullfighter Rob Smets, aka The Kamikaze Kid, an adrenaline rush just watching him.

It’s just how stuff evolves. I prefer the more old school feats too. I don’t like how over produced all this stuff is now, but the feat is pretty cool and I have a lot of admiration for Shaw.

But I’d rather watch cell phone recordings of people in their garage or basement performing feats any days of the week.

• Like 1

that's it in a nut shell. 

Honestly, I'm always in awe when I watch Brian. The top level guys are insane. I'd love to see him move to competitive grip and Armwrestling once he retires from Strongman. 

• Like 1