Pda's Inch Dumbell Bar Vs Holle-it-up Dumbell Bar

vince

was curious if any of you were to pick one, which would you pick?

i like the fact that PDA's inch dumbell bar's sleeves will fit any olympic plates.

the Holle-it-up dumbell bar doesn't have this, it's sleeves are 1-1/16 thick, yet is much longer. the handle being slightly thicker, it is 2.5 while PDA's is 2.4... plus that revolving action of the handle itself sounds interesting.

stay strong! :bow

thanks OldGuy! :rock

I just bought the stuff to make one of each, sort of. Two pieces of 2.5" OD tubing. On one I'm welding 2.5" washers with the holes centered, then putting that on 20" of 1" HRS. On the other, I'm going to make the holes off center like the Holle, I'll let everyone know in a couple weeks how they work out. Shouldn't have $20 in both of them.

Has anybody actually used the IM handle? does the handle rotate? rolls like the RT or solid thick dumbell? No speculation please, I'd like to hear a real opinion based on personal experience.

-HH

Not sure why anyone would want an Inch handle to rotate. It's the opposite of what you want. You want it to be stagnant.

The picture of the dumbbell shows that the handle is way off center. This will cause it to twist and wrench out of your grasp. How are you going to know when you can lift the equivelent of a solid 172 lb dumbbell? You are better off with a loadable 2 3/8'' handle and collars that prevent rotation of the plates. Any dumbbell that is not perfectly balanced will tend to rotate anyway. It would be a simple matter to make such a handle using a piece of 1'' or 2'' bar and adding a 4'' piece of 2 3/8'' PVC to the middle of the bar deliberately making it out of balance.

Does anyone know the length of the handle on the Holle? Is it a 4" like the Inch or 5 1/2" like the Husky Handle IM dumbbell, or something in between? Just curious.

The Ironmind Holle handle is just a gimmick.

The Holles are GREAT at crushing and bending but can any of them even do a full deadlift with the INCH?I just assumed they were't too good at thick bar...or 'average'

I've see pics of them lifting the INCH repica with that weird ass little wrist attachment and another pic of them 'HOLDING'the INCH after one of them lifted it off a chair or something....but CAN they stand up and deadlift it????

And..if NOT why would you name an INCH lifting device after them?I think that is ironic :unsure

Does anyone know the length of the handle on the Holle? Is it a 4" like the Inch or 5 1/2" like the Husky Handle IM dumbbell, or something in between? Just curious.

ironmind failed to specify the length of the handle. they did give other dimesions however. looked at the picture more carefully and oldguy is dead on, handle is way off.

Judging by the pic of the Holle handle, knowing that the handle is 2 1/2'' thick, I estimate the handle to be 4'' long. The handle should have been 2 3/8''. That extra 1/8'' adds a fair amount to the circumference. 1/8'' x pi. Almost 4/10''

Holle = 2.50"

Inch DB = 2.47" or so I've read

2 3/8" = 2.375"

2 3/8" happens to come out to the size of 2" pipe and 2" PVC so it's great for all the homemade stuff here in the states but steel yards sell true 2.5" stuff for not too much money.

The original Inch and the replicas made in the UK are 2 3/8''. The replicas made by the Staver foundry are 2. 47''. Joe Roark himself has measured both replicas and the original Inch owned now by Kim and John Wood.

The Holle Handle will have been tested to work by the Holle Boyz :D

2x20k plate pinch,blob lift,inch replica deadlift,#4 close,back to back Red nail bend,Red with 1/2" cut off it,double Elite close,double Elite invereted close,double Elite no set close etc,etc :whistel I could go on and on,but they do SEEM to no a little about all around grip strength,so i dont think they would put there name to something that was shite,and its obviously helped them :D

Everything you say is true. As tools for working the grip they may well work and certianly seem to work for the Holles. Indeed I worked towards the Inch with a thicker handle but... I agree with Oldguy - it ain't an Inch handle if its not 2 and 3/8ths of an inch thick and about 4 inches long and allows plate rotation. And that's all he wrote... :D

2x20k plate pinch,blob lift,inch replica deadlift,#4 close,back to back Red nail bend,Red with 1/2" cut off it,double Elite close,double Elite invereted close,double Elite no set close etc,etc :whistel I could go on and on,but they do SEEM to no a little about all around grip strength,so i dont think they would put there name to something that was shite,and its obviously helped them :D

Gazza, speaking of feats, were you invited to bring your video camera to tape them? Does your offer still stand?

YES :D

Who here can get in touch with them to set this up? And, just for kicks, we should have David send Gazza some challenge bars to hand to them. Gazza, do you have a #4 gripper to be mashed by Nathan you can hand to him? :rock

Bill

I have an unbent Red sent to me by Pat,i also have a #4,still waiting for the bars,this could have been done a month ago :blush

I have been back in touch with the Holles and as soon as i have some Cert bars

we can set a time place as i promised the Lads that i would keep it a secret,also

if the Lads are not happy with photos,video etc,then that is also fine by me.

I better shut up now as i have said 2 much already :blush

When did they do tthe full deadlift of the INCH and is there a picture?

What was the purpose of that article In M I L O(sept. 2003)it shows a picture of them lifting the INCH(looks short of a full deadlift anyway)with that wrist strap/hook 'accessory'IF one could deadlift the INCH...why would you show that 'lift' WITH the hook/strap device AND in the MARCH,2003 issue of (edited to save space) a quote from Craig Holle:'On receiving ourreplica dumbell each of us{there are 7 Holle brothers}made several attempts to lift what is accurately described as the 'unliftable dumbell'.We then discussed why the dumbell is so formidable to lift,and all gave the same excuse.When attempting to lift the replica ,it spins toward the thumg,breaking the grip.it was obvious that IF you could stop the dumbell from spinning,it would be much easier to lift."

That doesn't sound like someone who has DEADlifted the INCH???

Again this 'letter'to the editor is accompanied by two photographs of the INCH replica being lifted WITH this device.( i will not repeat the comments from 'locals'on this photo and article.....who think of the INCH as NOT a 'big deal')

The september 2003 issue of M I L O has a pic of the INCH replica being lifted with this device again.In fact a picture was(in my opinion)wasted with a shot of them hooking up the device to Nathans wrist.

Please?no disrespect intended but am I missing something??When did they do a full deadlift of the INCH(without that contraption) And I am not judgeing the appatratus....just why it was named the Holle Handle.

Thank You

BTW there is a small pic of Craig 'lifting' an INCH repica on the cover of Sept.,2003,M I L O it is: A. NOT a full deadlift,not even close B.not clear if he is or isn't wearing the hook device that they devised.

on page one of M I L O as Strossen descibes the pics on the cover "can lift an INCH replica" is mentioned.

The problem with this is that it does not SAY deadlift and does not say with or with out a hook....although,when 4 photos of the 'hooked' lift appear(combined)March and Septemeber issue.NO picture of an INCH 'deadlift'anywhere???

This (the deadlifting of the INCH)too me???(as i favor the grip 'lift' feats or weighted grip feats- over grippers)is much more confusing and less 'clear'......than the closing of the #4 or the bending of the red nail?(which actually I do believe but like others think a vidie clip would be cool :cool )

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Bill

I have an unbent Red sent to me by Pat,i also have a #4,still waiting for the bars,this could have been done a month ago :blush

I have been back in touch with the Holles and as soon as i have some Cert bars

we can set a time place as i promised the Lads that i would keep it a secret,also

if the Lads are not happy with photos,video etc,then that is also fine by me.

I better shut up now as i have said 2 much already :blush

A secret?

What's to hide?

I thought you were going to take video too?

With no reply indicating otherwise- at this time i can assume?-that the Holles can't do full deadlift of the INCH.

Their other feats of strength are amazing-however it appears that this feat has not been accomplished.