From weak to moderately strong

Gripperer

Added 5lbs to sandbag. Playing it safe. 

2mm left on the #2.5, at most. My estimate is that the last three weeks of minimal but focused training has earned me about 13mm in progress, which I am happy with.

No injuries.

I've figured out a setting technique that works for me and the close is on its way.

I said I would ignore the #2.5 for a while and practice on the #3... Yeah right. Being so near to the close, I can't leave it alone. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly got the 2.5, it's being stubborn. Think I burned myself out holding the #2. Couldn't believe how easy it felt, both hands. It was like the #1. I held it shut for a long time which was a bad move, because I could only get the #2.5 to about a 3mm gap.

Maybe next week. 

• Like 7

You will own that 2.5 in no time

keep it up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gripperer said:

Nearly got the 2.5, it's being stubborn. Think I burned myself out holding the #2. Couldn't believe how easy it felt, both hands. It was like the #1. I held it shut for a long time which was a bad move, because I could only get the #2.5 to about a 3mm gap.

Maybe next week. 

You'll get it.. Give your CNS a good rest. 

3 weeks ago I got a piece of steel down to 4" and it took a couple minutes... The next week, crushed it to 2" in under a minute, last week it was a struggle but i got it 3" in 4 mins

Sometimes for whatever reason you just don't have it, even if you did the week before. Just be consistent and train smart and you'll have it in no time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gripperer said:

Maybe next week. 

You are right in the same ballpark as me, so I can verify that the 2.5 is annoying. I struggled to get that stupid thing closed for the better part of 3 months. And I only just got it closed for the first time on April 22.

One recent development that has worked for me better than previously: I've now started training grippers 2 days per week, instead of just 1 - reason being, on my normal Wednesday workout, my hands are usually sore and tired and my CNS is pretty fried from working long, hard manual labor hours during the week - but on Saturdays, my second day of gripper training, my CNS has had time to recover, and I have way more strength to hit PRs. It's been a night and day difference between those two days, so it may be worth experimenting with a similar idea with training days. My Wednesdays are now volume focused, since I know the PR strength will likely not be there - while my Saturdays are max attempts and heavy gripper focused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

You are right in the same ballpark as me, so I can verify that the 2.5 is annoying. I struggled to get that stupid thing closed for the better part of 3 months. And I only just got it closed for the first time on April 22.

One recent development that has worked for me better than previously: I've now started training grippers 2 days per week, instead of just 1 - reason being, on my normal Wednesday workout, my hands are usually sore and tired and my CNS is pretty fried from working long, hard manual labor hours during the week - but on Saturdays, my second day of gripper training, my CNS has had time to recover, and I have way more strength to hit PRs. It's been a night and day difference between those two days, so it may be worth experimenting with a similar idea with training days. My Wednesdays are now volume focused, since I know the PR strength will likely not be there - while my Saturdays are max attempts and heavy gripper focused.

Congratulations on your close. 

Thanks, I will heed this. I actually did just swap a max day (attempting the 2.5 a couple times) for a volume day (where I work only with the 1 for reps and holds) and it feels good so far. Roughly twice a week.

• Like 1

Seem to have tweaked my chest slightly, so trying to set anything beyond a #2 is tough. Therefore, I'm treading water at the moment, and when I attempted the #2.5 yesterday, the set wasn't quite right, and again I could only get it to 3mm. 

I'll switch to holds and reps on the #2 for a while, let the inury heal.

• Like 3