Gripboard Bench press contest-RAW

Kluv#0

Summertime FUN with a BP contest. 2 weight classes 220 LB and under. Over 220LB. Basic Rules- PAUSED rep, NO Wrist wraps, NO elbow sleeves. T-shirt only. Weigh yourself on camera prior or after lift. Weigh Bar on camera if not a brand name. Minimal butt elevation allowed. Prizes for 1,2,3 in each weight class and prize for biggest improvement. 3 submissions max. Last day of contest is Aug 15th. Open to all ACTIVE Gripboard members as of Wednesday June 22nd 2022- no exceptions!

Edited by Kluv#0
added info on eligibility
  • Like 8

No age classes

sounds good count me in

• Like 1

I feel your pain

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JasonD said:

Cool idea! I’ll see if my shoulders will hold up to some heavy work.

Thanks Champ, you will earn some easy coin. 2 weeks ago, I extended my streak of at least 315 LB bench to 39 years(longer than majority on this board have been alive)  not bad since this time last year I was uncertain if I would ever workout again. However, It was first time in that streak I did it touch and go instead of paused. I decided to hold a RAW contest to not only help my desire to do 315 LB paused again but I know many natural gifted GB members who are excellent RAW benchers and fun to see your guys legit numbers. LOL, I actually still hold a couple of Bench only records in state of Oregon APA sanctioned contests.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JasonD said:

Here ya go, Michael. I wasn’t close with 400. We’ll see how it goes in the following weeks. 

Jason, very impressive - Thanks for entering. That is pure strength! Legit pause, smooth and RAW! You make all different lifts look so freakin easy - special talent no doubt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Jason, very impressive - Thanks for entering. That is pure strength! Legit pause, smooth and RAW! You make all different lifts look so freakin easy - special talent no doubt. 

Many thanks, sir! Hopefully others will join in. Your challenges always motivate me to “do something!” 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JasonD said:

Many thanks, sir! Hopefully others will join in. Your challenges always motivate me to “do something!” 

I believe others will submit entries. Jessie for sure will enter if He is aware of contest. Quite a few naturally gifted benchers that I have seen on GB and who doesn't like good clean fun!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JasonD said:

This one I'll just be a-watchin' lol.

This is one of my weakest feats.  My best ever was 200.  I did that at age 50 and had to work up to it for a month or two -- but I was tired of saying I couldn't bench 200.  It's much less embarrassing to say I can't bench 300 lol.

Have fun guys, this will be fun to watch.

Just now, Vinnie said:

This one I'll just be a-watchin' lol.

This is one of my weakest feats.  My best ever was 200.  I did that at age 50 and had to work up to it for a month or two -- but I was tired of saying I couldn't bench 200.  It's much less embarrassing to say I can't bench 300 lol.

Have fun guys, this will be fun to watch.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

That's not meant as an entry - just commentary.  I can only imagine how hard it is to do the big numbers!  Respect.

• Like 2

I’ve never benched In my life. I’m curious if I could get my body weight at 175lbs. Maybe I’ll try at my sister in laws this weekend. I gave her my barbell set years ago 

16 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

That's not meant as an entry - just commentary.  I can only imagine how hard it is to do the big numbers!  Respect.

Wow! No spotter, no safeties. Vin lives dangerously.😮 

If you’re trying to achieve maximum grip strength, it’s highly recommend to do some general strength training, also. I tried only training grip for awhile, and my progress slowed/stopped.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Vinnie, RESPECT and Congrats on your press- which was darn narrow! I used to have that type of bench and pinched my hands more than a few times doing close grip:( 

• Like 3

*edit* made the same post twice because I’m an idiot 

Edited by Blacksmith513

1 hour ago, JasonD said:

Wow! No spotter, no safeties. Vin lives dangerously.😮 

If you’re trying to achieve maximum grip strength, it’s highly recommend to do some general strength training, also. I tried only training grip for awhile, and my progress slowed/stopped.

Aw, shucks, do I gotta?  I actually have been thinking of joining a gym again since I moved to a new town and COVID is mostly over.  Then I could do some basic strength work, and bring fat grips and some implements with me since I don't have a good place at home to train grip either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Vinnie, RESPECT and Congrats on your press- which was darn narrow! I used to have that type of bench and pinched my hands more than a few times doing close grip:( 

I hate that bench but it folds up nice and moves easily.  It has the post right where I want my hands.  Inside feels too narrow and outside is too wide.

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I’ve never benched In my life. I’m curious if I could get my body weight at 175lbs. Maybe I’ll try at my sister in laws this weekend. I gave her my barbell set years ago 

That's about what I weigh; maybe 180.  Just from having read your other posts, I would be surprised if you can't bench press your body weight.  I think most guys in decent shape can do that.

Hey Vinnie nicely done

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Aw, shucks, do I gotta?  I actually have been thinking of joining a gym again since I moved to a new town and COVID is mostly over.  Then I could do some basic strength work, and bring fat grips and some implements with me since I don't have a good place at home to train grip either.

Yes, you gotta!🤣 You did damn well at nationals, especially since you hardly trained. Do it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JasonD said:

Come on people, let’s see some bench presses!

I think in next week or so we will see entries. 2 members have attempted but they told me it was much harder than they thought with the pause and no sleeves, wraps, etc. Also, max or close to max attempts hard to do on short notice. 

• Like 2

I will submit an attempt next week 

• Like 3